All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm

Post subject: Osgiliath Basing
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:48 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I am starting a Gondor army and I wanted to try and do something neat for the bases. I want to make the bases look like they are standing in the ruined city of Osgiliath because the city is just generally awesome.

So my attempts at doing so consisted of green stuffing the floor and creating square tiles and then trying to make them look smashed up and torn apart. I do this, and I like the look of it but I get the general feeling that something isn't quiet right.

I paint the tiles with Dheneb Stone, wash with Devlan Mud, and then drybrush Bleached Bone on top.

I try and put some little bits of the basing materials and paint them as rocks and such to kind of get the general feeling of debris and mash some larger rocks once nad a while.

Does anyone have any ideas? Sorry I don't have a camera.
 Post subject: Re: Osgiliath Basing
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Welcome to The One Ring!
As to the paints, I'm afraid that I don't use a whole lot of Citadel; but what you're doing to create the stone effect sounds good.
I've got a Minas Tirith army I've been tinkering on for about a year, and I've found that the plastic from your blister packaging can be cut to make excellent stone flagging. If you get a bit of Elmer's (a generic white glue) or a really slow-to-cure modeling glue, you can also spread some earth around on the base to give it more of a feel of being on ruins. Elmer's will make it look like normal ground, while the slow glue will let most of the dirt soak in thoroughly and give you a nice mud effect. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:56 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Yes of course. That might work. And the spure things would make a good thing to put in occasionally. Thank you good sir.

And Welcome appreciated. :)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:37 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Ta-dah!
kb.php?a=38

There are two ideas here that you can use for osgiliath bases. and after you've done this you can add sand and gravel to make it look more ruined. :)