All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:53 pm

Post subject: hot wire
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:29 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

does the hot wire needs a special adapter?
I was asking about a hot wire in the tools store and the guy there mentioned that it needs one and it's not cheap (by far!!). would someone please advise.

appreciate your help.

Post subject: hot wire
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:36 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
does the hot wire needs a special adapter?

yes . They need a power source. Some brands include this in the base cost.

http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/infopages/page182.html

I have several hot wire cutters and a hot knife. The ladies craft store brands start at $20. The contractors grade hot knife (jig saw for installing insulation) start at $250 I have one of the foam-factory kits reviewed on the above site I don't like it as much as Gary does. My best cutter is the home made one I have been using for 20 years. I have some 2"X2"X2" blocks I salvaged from a boat dock. The hobby cutter does not have enough amps to handle it. The contractors tools will make short work of it. I am sure you can start with a hobby cutter.
I hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:52 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

it does help, thanks a lot.

I found a way to make a hot wire out of standard adapter and a Nickel Chrome wire. pretty easy I guess. if anybody have experience with something like that by any chance please let me know how it worked out.

here is the link:
http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/infopages/page171.html

Thanks!

Post subject: home made
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:22 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

This is my bow saw hot wire. It is almost an exact copy of a old Stro-jig.

The bow saw is made from a product that is no longer available. The pipe was flawed and was prone to burst. That is also why I have to dig up the slab in my work shop. It burst wile I was away. I am lucky the damage is something I can repair.
Any plastic pipe will work. Try some PVC water pipe. If you can not find any you can see the handle on the smaller hack saw style is made from broom stick. Don't use a old piece of metal like on the small saw it is to hard to insulate properly. Not worth the risk.
I do not know how hard it will be to find some of the materials in Egypt but take care to avoid electric sock or more likely fire.

The hill in the back ground was made by an old friend of mine. Howard Whitehouse. He inspired me to get into this and I hope it will do the same for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:42 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

thanks for posting and help!

nice tool you made, and the hill is very nice source of inspiration (and envy! :-D ) . I hope I could get me a decent hand-made hot wire soon too. I'll keep you posted if I get to build one up sometime.