All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:45 am

Post subject: SO indecisive
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:16 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I am SO indecisive I cannot make a decision.[quote]

I suffer from game board attention deficit disorder myself.
The answer is to make a lot of detail pieces that can be used together. Base trees and rocks separately. Make hills so that you can stack them. Instead of one three level hill make three one level hills. They are easier to store and transport as well.

If you play WOTR don't put a lot of detail pieces out. TLOTRSG load the board up.
The trick is to make stuff you can use on any table.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:09 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
The trick is to make stuff you can use on any table.

Buy that man a beer.
I have a few small boards for fast and furious skirmished..150 pt battles..at the most.
Otherwise all my terrain...and there is a lot of it..is modular. That is I used many singular elements to make up the battle field.
I have a green roll of heavy felt and then I'll use features to help create the location I want.
So if I want a battle at Amon Hen then I put a few big books under the felt for hills,plonk my seeing seat down and sprinkle with pines..ta-dah.8)

By building terrain elements it means each piece is built as an individual. This means it's likely to get finished because it may only be a few hours to have a structure built and battle ready.
This way is more flexible for your battles too, as you can add a few features to create a new realm, rather than be stuck fighting in the streets of Gondor..again.
I spent a few weekends just making stuff to sprinkle around my part of the world. Pine trees were made from a plastic Christmas tree. Rocks and standing stones were made from bark..and smaller stones. A few different types of fences and walls were made and I made different styles of buildings and ruins. It it's easy to do and the collection builds up quickly,

I love some of the themed terrain that the guys here produce and the detail is astounding, but for me modular is the easiest to store, cheap to build and gives variety to where I can send my troops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

what about building elronds house and garden etc? or building mount doom?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:05 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Maybe the first thing to consider is what are the armies you play... For instance, if you play Haradrim doenst really make much sense to have a Shire themed table.

Also, from what I read, specific themed gaming boards look abosolutelly stunning but are not as handy as having a a couple of boards that you can fit individual terrain pieces. You can have them themed, of course, but you can move them around, change the elements and/or disposition from time to time, etc.