All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:44 pm

Post subject: building blocks
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:44 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I am familiar with Hurst molds, but has anyone made building pieces or blocks for constructing buildings from middleearth? I'd like to build some buildings of my own design.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:04 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I believe Onyx uses Hirst Arts blocks for his terrain pieces a lot. One good example is Helm's Deep (http://www.one-ring.co.uk/phpBB2/kb.php?mode=article&k=620). With them you can experiment and build your own designs.

At least I think so...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:06 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hallpers wrote:
I believe Onyx uses Hirst Arts blocks for his terrain pieces a lot. One good example is Helm's Deep (http://www.one-ring.co.uk/phpBB2/kb.php?mode=article&k=620). With them you can experiment and build your own designs.

At least I think so...

Olle's right, Onyx does. He's also made a great Weathertop with them. (http://www.one-ring.co.uk/phpBB2/kb.php ... icle&k=623)

Hirst Arts Blocks are very versatile, I've even seen them used to make Khazad-Dum columns. I've been thinking of using them for building Fornost. :)

Bilbo
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:53 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I don't currently use Hirst Arts blocks myself (but that's about to change), yet I do a reasonable amount of casting in my models.

Just recently, I made a section of random stone wall - 7" x 5" - that I cast repeatedly and use as 'cladding' over a base made from foamcore or styrofoam. I also have a mould of some steps that I cast quite often.

Hirst Arts moulds are brilliant though and are of the highest quality, so if you're thinking of getting some then it's a worthwhile investment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:05 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The basic blocks and many of the rounded blocks and arches of Hirst Arts suit Middle-earth very well. For example, I made a Numenorean bridge out of their basic stone bridge set and just added some statues for flavor. I guess the village series could work for Bree and Rohan.

If you are after Gondorian or elvish domes, you may be out of luck with Hirst Arts. Antenociti's workshop sells some ready-to build small ruins (no moulds, just the blocks) and at least the River City ruins looks very Gondorian.

-- Pasi
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:14 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks everyone for the resources. I was already familiar with Hirst blocks, and there are some really cool things out there, but what I was thinking of was if someone actually sold like a bag of blocks or other detail stuff ready for assembly or application into a project. I want to build stuff for Osgiliath, and sure I can carve everything from foam and plaster, but to get enough molds to do the various details I have in mind (some don't exist from Hirst) it adds up fast.

The windows from Antenociti's workshop look cool, but I haven't found blocks in there yet... still digging.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:41 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The ruins sets are show under Gallery -> Ruins Kits. Down the page there is River City Ruins (http://www.barrule.com/workshop/Gallery/gallery%20river%20city%20ruins.htm), which I bought myself just for Osgiliath. The kit contains all the needed blocks and if I remember correctly, there came some flocks and scatters with it too.

However, I couldn't find any ruins sets in the shop section anymore. Pah, I was planning to order the Amon-Hen-like Shrine of Eagles kit any day now.

-- Pasi
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:07 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I saw the ruins, they look like they are assembled out of hirst stuff, which hirst has expressed their distaste for people selling products from their molds. It is stuff like the pillars and domes that I'm looking for, and the link you provided looks great