All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 am

Post subject: Lighting Suggestions
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Greetings, all.

I have recently uploaded some more pics to my gallery and hope I may be able to get a few suggestions for one set. Specifically, my Isengard Troll is just NOT coming out looking right in the pics.

http://www.one-ring.co.uk/phpBB2/album_ ... er_id=2950

Even after a couple coats of Testor Dull he is still looking too "shinny" in the pics and it's distorting some of the details. For example, I molded a couple "tails" out of GS to represent battle-trophies from Rohan he has defeated. I painted these up based on some of the RoR painting guides and in person they have a pretty decent ( but not great ) dry brushed appearance of a horse's tail. In the pics though they don't look nearly as good. Additionally, his skin and armor are still showing some glow and much of his color is looking more blue and pink than it really does (he's a bit darker than this looks). :?

I have tried these pics with white, blue and green backgrounds. Overall green has been my most effective with my Isengard pics. Maybe I should try something different here?

As for lighting, most of my pics have been taken in doors but in a room with a lot of natural light ( vaulted living room with about 75% glass on the main wall and large windows on two other sides ). I also use artificial light from a couple different directions to try to eliminate as much shadow as possible. I usually keep the flash off in all cases.

The camera is a Cannon PowerShot digital. 5 megapix but I can't remember the model. I almost always use a tripod or at least brace my arms and hands while taking the pics.

Any tips or suggestions are appreciated. I had intended to submit him in thiis last OR Competition but just did not have time to get these photography issues resolved before the deadline. :cry:

advTHANKSance!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I really like the pics in your gallery, but perhaps you might want to lower exposure? maybe that will solve it - I'm an complete amateur and I'm probably talking utter [word deleted] maybe you have too much light? Either way I hope you solve it - that Isengard troll looks great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:03 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Could you manually adjust the lightning or does your camera have a setting for different types of light ? (mine has a setting daylight, uv light, TL-light or lamp) might be worth checking if it does ... and play a little with it ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:41 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi Beowolf03809,
I had the same problem with a flash on. Now I take my photos with the flash off, flourescent light above and regular bulb spotlights to one side.
(I shoot all my photos in my basement)
The mixture of light seems to work for me.
Different settings on the camera will read the light in different ways and when using natural light, the time of day will have an affect too.
I use the macro or standard lanscape settings as my camera does not read well on the "low light setting", go figure...
I always use a tripod and timer.
My camera is a Nikkon Coolpix 4100 4.0 MP.
I also set up the models with different backgrounds. Lately I've used black fabric with ground cover tossed onto it. This cuts down on reflection of colors onto the models.
Lastly, if you have Adobe Photoshop, the program can adjust to correct color imbalances. If not, experiment. I hope this helps.
Good Luck,
Geezer of Rhun
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:46 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

All I can see right now is that there is too much light on your model. I'm not experienced with photography, but what geezer~ said seemed to be quite logical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:18 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yeah, try without the flash, and use a natural light (non-florescent) like a lamp or "soft light" bulb, or sunlight.