All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:13 am

Post subject: Question for those that are curious
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:22 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

My name says it all - I am one of them ol'F@rts that takes quite some time to adjust to these new fangled gadgets

I have quite recently aquired one of these great little gizzmos called a digital camera

Would it be of any interest if I knocked together some examples of what to do (and not to do) - I have a reasonable knowledge of the black art of Photography - I am sort of learning quite quick (for me) the differences that this new stuff involves

If there is enough interest I will try and set-up a few examples - but I may need some help in some of the software - I still use M$ Paint as I cannot yet grasp the intracacies of the better packages

Let me know if you are interested by posting here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:54 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Bring it on Oldie! I'm always interested to see what tricks someone can show us. Especially where photography is involved.

I'll be happy to help however I can with photo editing; though, I admit my own skill is rather limited.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Melkor of Morgoth wrote:
Bring it on Oldie! I'm always interested to see what tricks someone can show us. Especially where photography is involved.

Ditto. It's always good to see different ideas and approaches to the same subject, especially from someone who is as... experienced in the ways of the world as yourself. :)

As for the software side, what exactly do you need help with? Editing images?

There are some really good articles on CMON (one of the few reasons that I occasional pop in there) and there used to be a handy guide to photoshop as well but it seems to be missing.

Here is the link to the articles currently available:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/go.php/go/ ... expand/all?

If you are interested in the Photoshop article (it's fairly straightforward, heck I even understood it) let me know and I can email it too you. For once I was smart enough to save it as a PDF file (currently 3.4mb but I can try to compress it). And as in most things we can hope that the Guru, menace, pops in and can add his two cents. He's the one that pointed the Photoshop article out to me in the first place.

Now that I think of it we desperately could use a basic Photoshop guide in our library (preferably a generic guide that would cover several techniques). Wishfull thinking?

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:00 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I keep mentioning this site: http://www.dpreview.com/

A lot of information on there.

For example: storage of images -

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/General/

Techniques -

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Photography_techniques/

I think that some scientific iinvestigation would be in order, i.e., a controlled series of experiments to determine what combination of lens, light and background gives (on average) the best results for showing minis. Obviously there are some variations with single mini versus large terrain piece or army, but you get my drift.. I hope.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:11 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

first let me say that i am very interested to hear advice from someone who knows the traditional medium.

and i will also offer my knowledge i have on the gimp which is a free image editing software that i use alot esp. for retouching images. i believe working with the colour curves and colour levels could be very interesting for you.