All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

Post subject: Use a bounce card...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:15 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

There are a lot of elegantly painted models on this forum! I have recently added a few photos myself. Though I need to reshoot them. The color temperature source setting on my camera was not cooperating. And I need to recompose the shot so you can get in a lot closer to view them in detail. ...okay back to the bounce card.

Q: What is a bounce card?
A: It is a white card that redirects light from an existing light source. This light would normally fall off and not be of any use at all. You place this card "off camera" and "out of shot" of your subject matter.

Q: What does that mean to me?
A: It brightens your model, softens shadows, and reveals details that would be otherwise lost in the final image.

This happens a lot with a solid white background. Your "in camera" light meter gets fooled and corrects the exposure for the background, leaving your model very dark. It can be difficult to correct after the fact. Using a "spot meter" will help this. But can render your previously white background too white, or grey. :-X

Use a white piece of cardboard or mirror (this redirects a lot of light). I would place this right in front of the model, below or to the side of the lens. But in very close to the model to be most effective.

I will be finishing up my Mahud models in the next couple weeks. I'll shoot new photographs of them and post here and on my WIP thread.

Though my photos up to this point are inadequate, I know they will be better once the finished product is up on display.

Please do not think my comments about the photography are negative. I only want to contribute to the betterment of peoples photographic skills.

I have seen this as the most common area that could be improved in miniature photography. Miniature photography is one of the most challenging areas one could choose to excel in!!!

Post subject: Re: Use a bounce card...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:44 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thank you for the advices. Just a few hours ago I started taking photos of my miniatures to upload. I was pretty disappointed with the result. I'll wait until daytime for better light and I will try to implement your tips.
 Post subject: Re: Use a bounce card...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Great post, its always nice to learn something new even if its only situational for myself. When I actually have something I feel worth posting I'll keep this in mind.