All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 am

Post subject: Coming back to the Hobby : Wanting to make a splash!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:19 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Coming back to the Forums and the Hobby for that matter i was just wondering, three things,

1. Whats the best camera for the minis.

2. Whats the minimum camera needed for decent pictures.

3. Considering i want to be taking close up details (for articles and to show you guys my best works which need these shots) whats the best option there.

Keep in mind i'm a UNI student with not a whole lot to spend, but if needed i will go out and buy a pretty pricey tool, i've done so in the past.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:57 am 
Administrator
Administrator

1. Nikon D90 isn't bad... 12.3 megapixels ;-)

2. Most camera's these days have a macro-function, although there's a difference between those yuo find in your cheapest supermarket in some promo-action of the week for about 15 pounds, and the more decent ones priced from 50 to 100 pounds...
I still use an 'old' Sony with only 3.7 megapixels (and macro-function) and am pretty pleased with the quality...

3. Well, I'd go for the cheaper cams (well, up to max 100 pounds or so)
These days most have minimum 8 megapixels and macro-function...
I take loads of pics with my 3.7 megapixels and use close-ups in the articles I write.
Once you've found the best way that suits you to snap pics (with the decent lightsource and background etc), it shouldn't be a problem...
My gf just got her nikon D90 though... will try to steal it some day to see what difference it makes... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:22 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think some of your decision making should be based on your needs of the camera outside of the hobby, too.
I know that I was very frustrated with the small, fixed limitations of a compact camera, in general. (I really like the portability of the compacts, though)
The lense quality, limited ability to adjust aperture, shutter speed, etc... in the smaller camera led me to a digital SLR. Some of the newer compact cameras are outstanding, but my needs outside of the hobby led me to get the digital SLR. I wanted different lenses and more capabilties. File size (megapixels) was not a major factor because I do not plan to enlarge my photos to the point where the number of pixels will come into play. Manual focus was very important for me as I found the macro settings alone to be a little weak. I bought the Nikkon D40 (only 8MP) and I'm very happy with it. Of course, now you can get a 10 MP for the same price I bought mine a couple years ago.
Find a camera that will fill the needs you require of a camera.
You'll be happier in the long run and you will spend your money more wisely.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:36 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

There are many suitable cameras: the trick is getting a mini-tripod and a decent 'stage' with adequate light. And finally, a simple photo-editing package to scale the pictures or crop them to suit the situation.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:36 am 
Dark Lord of Moria
Dark Lord of Moria

I wonder how many of our members use the same camera ? Not many I guess.

For good images, you need a good 'Macro' or 'Close-Up' function.

A lot of people will state the amount of MegaPixels make a better camera, however albeit this is true, as the more MegaPixels you have, the better the quality the image will be in terms of detail, this can backfire on you, depending on you painting ability.

If you a flawless, professional miniature painter, a camera with a high megapixel rate will show off your creations to a stunning effect, however, if you are a beginner/moderate painter, the higher the megapixels, the more chance of your camera will show all your painting faults when using the Macro function.

Any camera needs time for the user to practice what works best and each of our members can only give you their own experiences with their own cameras.

Use any decent camera to photograph the MonaLisa, and you get the MonaLisa...use any decent camera to photograph a dog turd...you get a dog turd :o

If your painting skills are not fantastic, my advice is not to go for extreme close-ups !

Overall in answer to your questions, any camera will do with a good Macro setting...you just need to learn how to use it to get the best results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:38 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Update:

So i ended up grabbing a quick and easy camera with alot more use out side of the hobby, i'm not sure of it's model picture abilities however, from taking 2 shots on Marco mode it seems just a matter of the right lighting and i'm good. For anyone who is aware the camera is a Fuji A100 so simple but effective, it came with a few little things i liked such as a case,card,charger and some other nice things that made it's price seem fair.

Anyway i'm happy with it so far, just a matter of lighting, i hope to be posting models soon.