All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:52 pm

Post subject: 300pt tournament in London
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:45 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Just had a rough idea for a tournament we could do in London, if this gets enough support that is. If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve this concept please say! It's a tournament focused around camaraderie, having a compact list, and random allies/enemies. Here is the outline:

Each player turns up with a 300 point army.

There are 5 games throughout the day.

Each game 2 players are randomly put together as a team, and you roll for the scenario as usual. You score 1 point for playing a game, 2 for drawing, and 3 for winning.

Each player has 5 points they must give to fellow players they have played alongside/against who were exemplary teammates, these points are awarded at the end of the day, tallied up, and a winner is chosen.

Anyone be interested in this/know of any good venues in London for it?

Last edited by SuicidalMarsbar on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Single warband tournament?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi Marsbar,

We'd be up for hosting this. I think that running a low points level tourney is a superb idea for growing SBG. Here's a link to our club, we hire a scout hall on Sundays and have plenty of space and tables. All we'd need is to cover the cost of renting the hall all day instead of our usual afternoon.

http://z10.invisionfree.com/The_Titans/index.php?

I have a couple of suggestions for the format. I like the idea of buddying people up.....but, if you're going to fit 5 games in they don't have a lot of time to get to know eachother or chat about tactics which may put a damper on some peoples fun. Furthermore you'll get some strange alliances going on if you pair people randomly and that may discourage some players, so you'll need everyone to buy into it and accept that odd alliances are going to happen. If everyone is up for it then great.

I'd go for a 300 point event with normal army selection. That way people can run a more normal list from Moria or Goblin town, someone else could take Bill, Bert and the Campfire or 6 Dwarfs from Thorin's Company, for example.

I think running a friendly event that's accessible for new players is a great way to try to boost our game's popularity, and I think that to some extent it's the experienced players in the community that need to take the lead ('cos GW probably won't). This is a game that works as well at 300 points as it does at 1000 and we should be taking advantage of that.

http://s10.zetaboards.com/The_Titans/index/
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

OK, nice stuff! Changing it over to a 300pt game sounds good, i'll try and push this on other platforms, but who knows how well that'll go :/
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

300 points for a single Warband is going for force people to bring a BIG named Hero along with most lists or pack it up with Horns and Banners. It would also allow a Mumuk which would be a rough opponent at this level.

250 is a little more reasonable but a Dragon or Watcher are possible...but not as bad. You can also build a more typical warband with one decent named Hero (90-110 pts) and a solid group of troops.

I think 200 - 225 is a good range for a one-warband force, with perhaps 250 being a max. You could always give some special benefits for players that are bringing a force less than the max, similarly to the Fates and Fortunes from WotR.

For example, for every 10 points under the max you can have one re-roll (or even one Free! if you prefer) M/W/F roll. So if you set 250 and someone comes in with a 233 point WE list (I thru one together quick to see what can be done with one Warband), it's 17 points less than 250 so I could get one token for a re-roll during the game. If I tweaked the list to get down to 230 then I'd get two tokens.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

They changed it so it can be more than one warband, just a normal 300pts tournament
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:34 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Cool, I don't mind this one either, BC rules might be too complicated.

Damian, can I just ask how big is the hall?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:03 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

We have previously fitted 15 6'x4' tables in there for a WHFB tournament. Most of our boards are 3'x4' and they were just right for the 500 point tournament we ran last year. I think we could fit 40 players comfortably and 50 at a push. West Finchley station (Northern Line) is right next door and we're very close to the M1, A1, A41 and A406 and not too far from the M25.
There is also a stage for the T.O. to set up on and a side room that we can fit a few more tables in if required. If the hall is filled with the tournament then our usual Sunday gaming club will set up in the side room.

If the numbers get really big we may run out of sensible scenery, we have quite a bit, but it's not unlimited and LoTR models on 40K Imperial ruins will look ....... odd. For previous WHBF tournaments we've asked each player to bring a scenery piece and that has worked quite well. When we have an idea of the number of people attending we can take a look at that. Scenery can be made cheap and fast.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:30 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I would be interested in a 300pt tournament. as long as it is normal selection rules and not limited to X warbands.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
 Post subject: Re: 300pt tournament in London
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:28 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

@ SouthernDunedain yup it is now a standard 300pt tournament. For mow I'd like to run with the whole 'random partner' thing, but if people have an opinion on it then please do share it!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:23 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think I'd rather play 1v1s than doubles with a random teammate. It just leaves too much to chance and from my experience people tend to set up beside each other and effectively play 2 separate games on 1 table instead of joining together.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi all

Chris here from the Titans Club. Just to reiterate what Damian said we would be very happy to host this event, especially since we were planning to hold another one soon anyway.

300 points sounds great, but I would also prefer singles over doubles and potentially a Good & Evil army each. I don't know about anyone else but I think the new Throne of Skulls format blows.

Our last event went very well so, other than changing the points and making it one day instead of two, we could just do a repeat event.

Did you have you any dates in mind? It would of course have to be a Sunday if we're holding it at our hall in Finchley...

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ok, so howabout this format:
300pts, one army (more people can go that way...)
Oaths etc are brought back.
games are 1v1, how many games could be logically be squeezed into a day, 300pt games DO end quite quickly...

Howabout at some point in march?, does the 24th sound good?
We could have 1 doubles game at the end of the day, with a scenario made specifically for it...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

24th March works for me so we have enough time to make the arrangements and build interest.

If we allow 90 minutes per game we could comfortably manage 5 games and an odd number of rounds generally works well:

08:30-9:00 Registration
09:00-10:30 Game 1
10:30-12:00 Game 2
12:00-13:00 Lunch
13:00-14:30 Game 3
14:30-16:00 Game 4
16:00-16:30 Break
16:30-18:00 Game 5

You could do a doubles game to finish off. But that can be a last minute decision on the day, if everyone is up for it...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:40 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Naw the 24th march is my sisters birthday. Might still be able to make it though. Will there be any requirements on painting etc?

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:23 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Shouldn't think there will be any painting restrictions. It's not a GW event!

As an aside, I think we'll run another 2 day event around one of the May bank holiday weekends...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:50 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Really? It's only 300pts lol, not like you asking to 2 fully painted 1000pt armies. And what about the sensitive issue of proxies? Allowed or not?

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:23 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yes I'd imagine proxy's are permitted. I'll certainly be sporting one, glaringly obvious proxy.... :)

This will all be covered in the events pack which I believe Marsbar is hoping to get out very soon...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:58 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

At the moment it looks like I'm free on the 24th and would be very much up for this.

As for format, if the powers that be are looking at consensus my vote would be:

Singles
2 armies each to ensure Good Vs Evil
300 points picked from 1 list rather than 1 book/1 faction (i.e. Moria OR Angmar, not both)
Standard sourcebook scenariors/victory conditions
All painted no proxies (as SD said 300 points isn't that much)
I like the OP's idea about some sort of sportsmanship award, possibly worth the points of a win, to your favourite opponent. Just to encourage players to be nice to each other and have a friendly day.

Those are my preferences, although I imagine I'll pootle along whatever the setup.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:18 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

:o :o whyyy??

I'll bring my plastic WoMT then and say they are fountain court...

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:34 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Having both Good and Evil is nice, but it presents a couple of issues.
1) You need an even number of games, so 4 or 6. We won't have enough time for 6 in one day, 4 games only lets you play 2 scenarios with each army, but we can get 5 games in.
2) Pairing people up so they play people with similar results, but play different people each round and swap between good and evil can be a bit of a headache for the T.O. (We've done it, it wasn't fun, but it's your call Marsbar).
3) With one army and 5 games we can play 5 different scenarios with minimal admin between games.
4) Taking one 300 point army to a one-day tourney is a realistic target for anyone new to the hobby who's thinking of going to their first event. New players will eventually stumble across this site or TLA as there's not much else on the net, hopefully there are some new players lurking out there that would like to come to this sort of event and meet other players.