All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:48 pm

Post subject: quality of the scenarios?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:08 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Are the scenarios in the BGiME magazines any good? Or are all of them just "learn to play" style games?

How are they compared to the content of the journeybooks/sourcebooks and White Dwarf?

Thanks
 Post subject: BGIME Scenarios
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:54 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The scenarios in the early editions of BGIME were pretty basic as they were designed to help new players learn the game.

However, they became progressively more involved/difficult and were often linked to the construction of scenery pieces in a single issue, or sequence of issues. Some of these I found to be quite challenging and enjoyable to play and I would consider them to be on a par with those in the Source Books or WD.

From memory there were also a couple campaigns that could be played - I haven't tried any of them though.

Kalatha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:05 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Until issue 11 they did not use the full rules, for example in the first scenarios there are heroes who do not have access to their Might points. After that they continue teaching rules piece by piece, but at that point the full rules are used, and the scenario quality gets quite good, occassionally very good.

What I like about BGiME scenarios is that they work with a limited model collection. Most of the scenarios were based only on troops that the magazine subscribers got from it. Some (especially earlier) GW scenarios were clearly written by folks who had unlimited free access to models. Now they are more sensible on that.

Starting from issue 20, as Kalatha said, some scenarios could be combined to campaigns, such as Fellowship in Moria or the siege of Helm's Deep.

There are also rules for playing through the journey of the Fellowship, in more dynamic fashion than the journey books, that is, victory or defeat in a scenario affects which scenario will be played next.

-- Pasi
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:06 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

sounds good, thanks for the replies btw

I just bought some old White Dwarf magazines on eBay, together with some early BGiME magazines and the Fellowship journeybook, so I will be able to compare them very soon myself :)