All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:00 pm

Post subject: D&D miniatures question and other ramblings
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:01 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

What does anybody think about using miniatures in D&D? I know you can make do with buttons, counters, paperclips and your imagination, but it's nice I think to have a vague idea of what you are facing. (It's actually a Frost Giant so I say we runnnn... lol)

Obviously, Wizards of the Coast (WotC) brought out their range of cheap plastic minis, starting in 2003, and I guess for the cost of them they are not too bad. I must admit I have been tempted with their Iconic Gargantuan Black Dragon it looks nice in the picture and their Beholder looks good too. I understand their scale is nominally 30mm so how do they compare in size to the Reaper fantasy series for scale ?

The downside of the WotC figures is the fact they are also collectables too, which is great if you want to play the skirmish game but a bit of a devil if you want particular figures for your scenarios hence my Reaper minis question. I suppose the D&D minis game does add value to the figures since they can be used for both. Getting booster packs with unknown figures in seems a bit of a pain. Having said that, I think some places on the net sell individual figures and their is always e-bay of course.

I expect that if the paint job is a bit poor on some of the D&D figures you could repaint with acrylic paint. Is this the case ?

Did you get anywhere with a starter campaign Daggy with your kids ?

Serin (older Son) was doing an online D&D campaign on my younger sons (Bolg) website Racssirts Realm. I was basically us three and Chinese Legolas (One Ringer) but It seems to have died a death recently. We really need to kickstart it again, and I think it's my turn, I'm facing a fire elemental I think. I hope it's a small one ;-)

I'm sure if their was enough interest Serin would love to start a campaign for One Ring members, the mechanics of the game seemed to work fairly well in a forum thread , he used PM's to inform people of stuff they found out or knew, and left it to them if they wanted to tell the rest of the party. He posted grid maps and everything to show where things were. The pace of it was slow at times but it might be an interesting experiment if Serin was wiling and their was sufficient interest.

Azog

Forum Guidelines
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25260
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:33 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

sounds interesting but whats D&D?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:26 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

D&D means Dungeons and Dragons, it's an RPG (roleplaying game).
You make up a character, roll for his statistics and skills and then you set out on an adventure. Quite fun, though I prefer the warhammer RPG (bet i'm the only one, and please, i don't want to start a fight :P )

@Azog: I wouldn't paint over those miniatures. If it are the ones i think you mean, then I wouldn't. They are too soft. The paint would chip right off I think.

the models are good for representing all those weird kinds of beasts, but if i have a GW mini that looks like it, i'll use that one instead.
And for characters: I always convert my own ones :P