All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

Post subject: Nagash: The End Times
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thoughts on the model?

I like the sculpt, dislike the size. I do have a Vampire army and I have recently found a local store that sells GW products at a good discount. Was thinking of starting a Chaos Battalion but now I might put that on hold if this guy comes at a discount price. Still would be expensive at the same time awesome.

Post subject: Re: Nagash: The End Times
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:26 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I must confess, and I feel mildly dirty saying his, they've somehow sucked me back in with this. The Warhammer books came down from the attic last night (the models stayed behind to be replaced by minis that don't embarrass me to look upon and realise that yes, i was that bad at painting.)

Intrigued to see where they take it, since the previews, leaks and the first three chapters of the novel are all out, and suggest that special characters are getting killed left right and centre, entire nations are being destroyed, and all hell has (quite literally) broken loose.

The Nagash 'mini' itself has it's ups and downs (floating on doom ghosts are a plus, but his massive hat and tentacle spines are a down) - but in the end it's Nagash, and he looks like a Raid Boss from an mmo. It tickles me just enough to count. It's not what I'd have designed, but it's pretty cool in it's own way.

You win this time GW. But I reserve the right to build most of my armies using third parties like Perry Miniatures and Mantic, because I'll overpay for an insane monster kit or a character, but not for rank and file. I'm probably going to do something a bit different to my usual themes, and theme everything around winter. Seems suitably apocalyptic.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:46 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I personally do not like heroic scale miniatures and think he looks rather childish and action figure like. The model is well engineered and well executed, but they are definitely appealing to the 14 year olds here.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:54 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Not a fan of the whole Warhammer aesthetic, but the concept of the model I think is cool. It's also nice to see GW finally shake up one of their games. Maybe they'll eventually make something I'd be interested in after LOTR

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Or maybe they're ending the game with a bang like mage knight did with the apocolypse dragon. It was great, for those who don't know, instead of releasing a last set, they released a huge dragon and wrote a scenario that was nearly unbeatable. This suggested that in the end, no one won and everyone in The Land died.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:55 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nah they won't kill off one of their primary systems. Too much money wrapped up in it.

They're trying to breathe some life back into the fantasy game as it became a little stagnated, especially compared to 40k. The new releases echo everything they did to 40k this year ( undead can be summoned by everyone like daemons can be in 40k).
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a new edition of fantasy later in the year or next year.. I reckon they'll update the remaining soft back books and then redo the rule book.. And then they can start the cycle of updating the books again but in their new style.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:46 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

^Actually it has been rumoured that they're releasing a 9th ed. in 2015 which I won't be getting. I'm stuck on 7th and play casually and rarely. That have other over the top undead hero models coming out as well. I think it's overkill with the huge models. Then they'll release Chaos End Times.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:52 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

A long time ago I was playing fantasy and collecting an undead army. yes an undead army back when it was one book, pre vampire counts and tomb kings. Then they changed the rules and made a large portion of my models illegal. So I walked away from the hobby. I still have 2 of the old Nagash models.

And now he is back.... must resist the call...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:55 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I know that the quality has improved with Warhammer fantastically, however I generally hate the look, and having miniatures that you have slaved over being declared "Unusable" and having to replace the expensive rule books every four years is too much! Warhammer sales have plummeted some what since last year, and I can really see why.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:00 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I had a good look through the new book they released for this the other week.

Two books, one with rules and campaign scenarios the other (and bigger one) filled to the brim with fluff and cool artwork.

Only flciked through the rules, they do pretty much what they say on the cover, stats for Nagash and his choice minions and the new kits, ability for all races to use a necromantic chart of spells (different to exisitng lore of vamps and death).
The fluff book I think would make any fan of warhammer lore very happy. If I'd had time I'd have wanted to go through it all in detail.

As ever...very big price tag. I wouldn't be able to justify it for myself.

I kinda like the new Nagash model, I love the Manfred pose but am not too sold on the new mounts or the weird skeletal things. I am planning on finding a set of the bone wings though to try and convert a skeletal pegasus
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:14 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Bilbo wrote:
I personally do not like heroic scale miniatures and think he looks rather childish and action figure like. The model is well engineered and well executed, but they are definitely appealing to the 14 year olds here.

i second that

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:11 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Just use the original Nagash

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dezartfox wrote:
Nah they won't kill off one of their primary systems. Too much money wrapped up in it.

They're trying to breathe some life back into the fantasy game as it became a little stagnated, especially compared to 40k. The new releases echo everything they did to 40k this year ( undead can be summoned by everyone like daemons can be in 40k).
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a new edition of fantasy later in the year or next year.. I reckon they'll update the remaining soft back books and then redo the rule book.. And then they can start the cycle of updating the books again but in their new style.

I wish they'd breath some life into the sbg
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quendil wrote:

LOL What a hideous thing! Not even a good paint job can do it any justice! I think this model is what? Early 90's, mid 90's?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:35 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Sacrilege83 wrote:
Quendil wrote:

LOL What a hideous thing! Not even a good paint job can do it any justice! I think this model is what? Early 90's, mid 90's?

I like it myself and have never understood the hatred towards it

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Over the top, outrageous, and clunky are what comes to mind. I would've preferred the new Nagash to be this size though, bigger isn't always better. As ugly as he may be though, he does add a certain 'je ne sais quoi' to an undead army.