All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:12 pm

Post subject: Lord Maedhros WIP
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:18 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Greetings.

Wanted to start a WIP to periodically update with my slowly ongoing First Age projects. Primarily focused on the House of Feanor, but I intend to dabble in most factions from the War of the Jewels. Not the greatest of painters, but I try to improve as I go.

Thank you all for any feedback or just simply perusing.

Post subject: Re: Lord Maedhros WIP
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Very nice, what figures are you using? Interested in what about the house of Feanor, and the War of the Jewels that interests you?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:29 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

For the current elves I am using Fireforge Games Teutonic Knights mixed with parts from Oathmark elves plastic kit. I've been interested in creating First Age miniatures for a long time (you can still find old posts from years back) without ever committing to actually creating any since I never quite settled on the aesthetic.

I've been a huge Tolkien fan before I even got into miniature wargaming and my favourite part of his legendarium has always been the tales of the First Age. My favourite of the characters of the First Age has always been the Feanorians, specifically Maedhros, although I like the characters of his brothers and father as well. I guess I have always liked the more grey characters in books and films. I know there are many book readers out there who (understandably I suppose) find the Feanorians despicable, but I see them as a uniquely tragic part of Tolkiens mythos. Not evil but driven to do terrible things by an unwise decision which they cannot retract.

On the miniature side of things I think the War of the Jewels period provides a hobbyist with an amazing opportunity to utilize many of the excellent miniatures out there as there is such a vast array of households/armies/factions.

Thats my best rambling attempt to answer your questions :) thanks for taking the time to comment.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:12 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

This is why I like Tolkien and this forum, someone taking part of the lore and using miniatures to bring that to a different light.

I had to go back and read more about Maedhros and the War of the Jewels and I can see your interest and how it could be used in wargaming.

I belong to the Peter Jackson theory of Tolkien writing history, not fiction. With all the different manufacturers of miniatures and kit bashing, I can see you recreating that history.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thank you for your kind words. I certainly enjoy perusing the vast array of miniatures out there and picking what I imagine fits well for the First Age. The most challenging for me was finding appropriate elves for how I envisioned the Noldor of the First Age. Heroes is even more challenging as there are so many in the First Age. I have used HeroForge to design and 3D print my own versions of Maedhros, Feanor and Maglor so far, with the intention of designing the remaining 5 sons in the same way. The 3D prints have decent detail and at least are a unique envisioning of the characters. I'll attach some photos soon.

I certainly like to envision historical elements when choosing miniatures to represent the First Age, although I personally read it as being a fictional world separate from ours. That being said, I don't like to bring to much of a Fantasy element to the weapons and armour etc. I prefer to keep them fairly grounded and realistic. :)