All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:05 pm

Post subject: Mr Gimli's Projects - Scouring of the Shire - 13.01.20
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Mr Gimli's Projects

Hi all, hope you are all well. Here is my work in progress of my current projects.

Having purchased the new Scouring of the Shire book, I thought it was about time I actually got around to using the rules and playing some of the scenarios in there.

This is something that I still haven't done for the Gondor at War book as there are so many models required ! Happily, the Scouring of the Shire book is a smaller scale so will be a better place to start.

My first purchases were a box of ruffians and farmer maggot with his hounds :puppy: which enabled us to play through the farm scenario (nice little scenario by the way) and gives me a good base of ruffians to carry through to the rest of them.

Here are the first pictures of them assembled and ready for painting, hopefully back with an update soon with some progress:

I'm excited to paint the hobbits especially as the only ones I've ever painted were Frodo & pals ! It's likely then I'll start with Farmer Maggot but we'll see how far I get with the others.

Last edited by Mr Gimli on Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: Mr Gimli's Projects - Scouring of the Shire - 12.09.19
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:16 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Welcome to the WIP Mr Gimli! The amount of models has kept me away from Gondor At War as well. Really excited to see someone else is working on Scouring stuff. These models look great and ready for some paint! I recently finished a few of these models myself so I will post up some pictures in the near future. I certainly hope you'll stop by and I know it will motivate me to see how others get on with this project too. Looking forward to your next update! :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nice lot you got there. Looking forward to seeing them all painted.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks both! I've managed to finish Farmer Maggot so far with his Hounds which were a fun set to paint - not too taxing. I have never been to good with taking photos so expect to see some experimentation whilst I work out the kinks!

As for the ruffians, they have received base colours and a shade of Agrax so hopefully won't be long until they are done too.

Post subject: Re: Mr Gimli's Projects - Scouring of the Shire - 22.09.19
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Farmer Maggot and Co. look great! If you'd like any advice on where you might push your painting further, I would say considering highlighting the dogs even more as they look quite dark (even for their breeds). I think that is a pretty high quality photo as well! The lighting looks good (not too harsh or too dark). The basing is also nice and should look great on Shire terrain. I look forward to seeing more updates! :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:17 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Looking good!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks! I always get a bit scared highlighting black in case it looks too cartoony. There is a bit more contrast in life than the photo but I think I will try and add a few little extra highlights to make them pop.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm a bit late to this but for black, try mixing a dark grey in the black slowly as you highlight. If you keep the paint watered down, that really helps make the transition smoother too. If you haven't already finished with the hounds, I would try to highlight the brown more as it is a bit too similar to the black in tone and you want the brown spots to stand out. That should really make Farmer Maggot's dogs look fearsome! :)

Post subject: Re: Mr Gimli's Projects - Scouring of the Shire - 13.01.20
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Been a while, not had as much time to paint over the holidays as I would have liked but there you go.

I went back and did some more work on Farmer Maggot with a few more highlights, an additional colour tuft on the base and painted the dogs collars red for some more contrast.

Slightly distracted by the Rohan at War expansion I've added some colour to the Theoden that I've had since the starter set was released. Lovely sculpt and pose. Any tips to take him a bit further?

That's not all, I have painted some Dunlendings which I am aiming for a 500 point list. I didn't like the traditional red so have gone for mostly grey with yellow spot colour.

Finally I have been assembling a Hobbit hole using the new FW kit as well as some Hobbit militia to defend it. For the ruffians I've done some more with the base colours but not much, so maybe some pictures next time 8)

Cheers, Mr Gimli.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The minis look great. Looking forward to seeing your FW hobbit hole. I just finished a couple myself, which I hope will be showing up in a battle report in the new future.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:27 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

That is a good looking group of minis! I'm glad you went back to Maggot and the mutts as I think they look even better with the additions you made. I'll be really excited to see what the hobbit hole looks like. I have a few of those coming up in my near future too! :)