All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:09 pm

Post subject: LarryjoeNL's WIP Irons hills vs Easterlings
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:05 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I collected all of the battle games in middle earth magazines (except for the fellowship of the ring special edition, silly me). Then i stopped the hobby. After nearly 10 years I'm back to the hobby and I found this forum. I've been looking at lots of your wip pages and decided I'd start one myself.

I'm bad at sticking to a single project, so I have numerous things I'm currently working on. I'll start this thread with a few pictures op unfinished projects I'd like to finish one day.

Last edited by LarryjoeNL on Thu May 18, 2017 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: LarryjoeNL's Work in progress
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:30 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

On the left one of the first models I painted years ago, on the right the same model after my 10 year break.

Some conversions on warriors of Minas Tirith. Still have loads of them to finish up. Not too sure about the bases on them, I've seen many models on city styled bases, may have to find some of those.
A converted citadel guard, might try sculpting a cloak, but I guess this would work too.
Army of the dead. I saw some nice conversions/ paintjobs on men of Numenor as army of the dead, might try that!
my first entry for this month's painting challenge, First attempt at painting white.
following up on Sharkey. Gandalf the White, more white cloth to try.

I'm looking to improve my painting (and converting) so tips and advice are allways very welcome:)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:15 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Today I organized my Minas Tirith forces, turns out I have some 80 models still to paint. Another thing I tried was in preperation of basing the Minas Tirith force.
Here I pressed some clay onto the ruins of Osgiliath. Hoping it dries well, so that I can pressmold my own custom bases.
Same idea, this time I used the Minas Tirith wall set.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Nice idea with the press molds, might want to add some more cracks into the stones. Like your archer conversion on horseback also. 80 more models? Have you thought about varying the skirt colors to have different forces to divide them into companies?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:15 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Mapper wrote:
Nice idea with the press molds, might want to add some more cracks into the stones. Like your archer conversion on horseback also. 80 more models? Have you thought about varying the skirt colors to have different forces to divide them into companies?

I might try that on the stones, not convinced about them just yet. Yup, 80ish models. I'm actually trying some white on some of the skirts, making them stand out from the bulk of the army. I may even try green on some, to make them blend in with my rangers.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:47 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Still painting warriors of minas tirith in bulk, as a distraction I tried some more conversions.

I had a lot of lances still leftover from the conversions to mounted citadel guards, so I stuck those on regular warriors to create some extra banners. I'll probably never use them in game, but they look nice on display.

Not completely finished. Rather pleased with the wood on the shield though. Credits go to Billferny333, shamelessly tried to copy his work from the previous painting competition.

This warrior had a go at capture the flag, and was very succesful.
I'm painting a warband of warriors with white skirts, to represent the force that subdued the Easterlings after the war of the ring.

A drummer for the Minas Tirith army, I used a warrior of Rohan, swapped his head and gave him the leftover drums from my Easterling kataphrakts. I scraped of some of the armor to make it look like cloth.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The drummer is great! Might have to steal that idea.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I always like to add some kind of foot soldier for MT without the usual armor. They make this kingdom's army very realistic. Nice conversions!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:17 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The conversions are great! I like the wooden shield; how did you do it?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:07 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

This is awesome work

My WIP: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=21545&start=40
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:57 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

GreatKhanArtist wrote:
The conversions are great! I like the wooden shield; how did you do it?

I tried coppying work I saw on this forum by Billferny333. I used different shades of brown. I think I started with steel legion drab.
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:01 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Just ordered some cool things to work with. Some extra heads to swap with my warriors of minas tirith, found some milliput and blue stuff. Hoping to create some new cool conversions soon.
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:29 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

the heads came in

Tried some headswaps, but now I have to sculpt cloaks for the hooded heads.
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Nice unique army you are creating!

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:04 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ithilien guard banner conversion, I might convert a few warriors to go along. Not to keen on their profile though.
A few of the warriors with headswaps. The bases were sculpted using milliput, rather happy with how they turned out. I may add some sand or rubble to it though, looks to clean for a battlefield now.

Making some extra shields for use on bases.

Also trying to make extra casualties for objective markers and cavalry bases.

I'm putting my Minas Tirith force aside for now as I'm going to finish of my Iron Hills dwarves. Almost have a full warband done.

Another 12 warriors and Dain on his piggy still need painting. They're getting green shields, to represent them being from a different company than the other warband. I bought a captain with mattock to lead this warband. Also bought 3 goat riders, so I hope they're here soon:D

Some Easterlings I painted a while ago. (some bases are coloured weird because I played battle companies with them). I'm rebasing them to look like they're battling the Iron Hills dwarves, as the Easterlings tried to invade Erebor during the war for the ring. Trying to make both armies look like they're battling eachother.

Still in doubt about Dain's hair though. He is still alive and fighting during the time I'm trying to represent, however, he probably wouldn't still have ginger hair. Might give him a grey haircut, but I like the ginger a little more...
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The standard bearer is really good. I especially like the cloak, which came out just right (I myself have a lot of trouble sculpting cloaks). The dwarves and Easterlings are nice too.
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:53 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Nice work on the drummer conversion.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:29 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Gangleri wrote:
The standard bearer is really good. I especially like the cloak, which came out just right (I myself have a lot of trouble sculpting cloaks). The dwarves and Easterlings are nice too.

Thanks! However, the cloak doesn't look great from other angles, haha
Crucium Giger wrote:
Nice work on the drummer conversion.

Thank you, I'll try to paint it soon!
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:44 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

In a few weeks I'll be playing in my first tournament. I have to bring 3 objective markers on 40 mm bases to use. I had some markers on 25 mm bases, but they're a little boring. That's why I made some new ones. Here's a few pictures of the one I think will look the coolest when painted.
ImageImageImage
I used some blue stuff to make a mold of a small part of the ruins of Osgiliath set. The bird on top came of of the old Radagast model. The sitting Easterling was made by combining some extra bits from the kataphrakt set (the casualty model for the legs, extra drummer for the torso and a shield and some extra leftover arms) I used a bit of milliput to connect the different parts. Picture of it painted up coming soon!
 Post subject: Re: LarryjoeNL's WIP Irons hills vs Easterlings
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:39 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

That's a really great miniature. I can just picture him shaking his sword with his last breaths at the dastardly men of Gondor. Cracking work.