All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:05 pm

Post subject: Isildur Mounted
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:33 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Guess who finally broke down and got herself a photobucket account? Anyway, I took some photos with my tablet--hopefully you think I'm a better painter than photographer! :lol

http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/jschwengler/media/picture007_zpsqevzb3ay.jpg.html?o=5

Behold, his majesty! I did the horse in Vallejo paints, a new experience for me. Much more thin and transparent than GW or P3 paints. Not something I'd use the average army, but on a centerpiece, I like it!

http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/jschwengler/media/picture006_zpswc6hz4e2.jpg.html?o=6

Post subject: Re: Isildur Mounted
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:16 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

On your photo bucket account use the IMG code under your selected image rather than the direct code. Your pictures will then display here on the site rather than just a link.

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:29 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yes it's a lovely model, and very nice to paint. I particularly like the way you did his horse. One thing I have always thought about this model though, and Isildur generally, is that he doesn't have a cloak, and he is the only Numenorean without on, so he looks a bit out of place within his own army.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:22 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Very nice. I wish I had that type of talent.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Really, It's the paint. No, seriously. It's nice and thin and layers really well. It takes several coats to work up a nice highlight like the extreme white, but it does create nice gradients that look great on flesh. You get what you pay for. When I first started 10 years ago, I used dollar store paint on my models. It doesn't thin well and is grainy when you thin it. I still use it for terrain where drybrushing fixes all.

If you look at Isildur and not the horse, this is typical of my work done with unthinned GW paint. I find working with a wet palette for GW paints to be highly beneficial, especially for painting flat surfaces, like chariot fronts or robot panels.

Still a long way to go before entering a contest. I've been following Tale of Painters and have noticed they use mostly GW paints, but also a whole lot of thinner. I really want to try their yellow on some barding, since mine doesn't win me over. I like to try out new techniques on metal models--they're easier to clean up when you screw up. Sometimes trying out a new technique is just the thing to get out of a painting funk, even when it doesn't work out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Isildur was incredibly well done. How, may I also ask, did you do the buildings?