All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 am

Post subject: New beginnings- elf army
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:43 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi guys,

Just started up this hobby again after over a decade, and got inspired by some of the posts here to start an elf army, so here are the humble beginnings!

Started out with an attempt at some autumn themed bases.

If my skills are remotely up to it, I'll try to follow the beautiful painting scheme laid out by Danasfgh in the thread:
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=421715&sid=25edc0619c783e7761606aef1fa1a151

Another thing however, I hard a time trying to paint a white horse - you guys got some tips on that? :sad:

Post subject: Re: New beginnings- elf army
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:54 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Those bases look great.

I think the trick with white over a black undercoat is just lots of thin layers. Make sure you’re using a paint with lots of pigment too, so if you’re using Citadel paints use a Base rather than a Layer paint.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Amazing bases! :O

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:06 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Great to see that you're making a return to the hobby :)

I agree with the other posters, those bases are fantastic! Well done :yay:

Regarding the white horse, even though it's probably not what you were going for, from the photo it looks like you've achieved a nice dappled-grey looking coat on the horse :) I'll admit that I'm not very well-versed in painting white horses (hence why I'm currently putting off painting my Gandalf the White models :o ), but perhaps experiment with a lighter colour undercoat?

The one white horse I have painted is Theoden's horse, which I primed with a white spray, then basecoated with a very light grey (Citadel's Celestra Grey base paint), then I layered all the raised areas with white again. You could also try using the Apothecary White contrast paint from Citadel over a light prime, although I've heard very mixed reviews about that particular colour contrast paint :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

This is the white horse guide I use. I've done piles of white horses using this scheme and they've turned out great.

Help With Miniature Figures-->Old GW Painting and Converting Guides-->click the link-->Painting Workshop: Galadhrim.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:57 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi again,

Thanks for the nice tips and comments guys. This community has always been extremely nice. 8)

I haven't gathered up enough courage yet to tackle another white horse, but I'll come around to it eventually :(

GreatKhanArtist wrote:
This is the white horse guide I use. I've done piles of white horses using this scheme and they've turned out great.

Help With Miniature Figures-->Old GW Painting and Converting Guides-->click the link-->Painting Workshop: Galadhrim.

Enjoy!

Thanks for that, that looks really useful. I think you guys are right with basecoating with a light grey. 8)

Here is a little update with the progress on the footfolk so far (I wasn't sure which lighting was best, so with and without the lamp lighting on):

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:51 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

White horses, or white in general are pretty easy in theory to complete, but can be difficult to pull off of course.

For white, my best advice would be to choose an off-white color (creamy white or colder light grey) as a basecoat. Then add white to that for the highest and most prominent areas on the horses muscle's.

And great job on the bases! Love me some elves
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:29 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for all the white horse painting tips guys!

I finally gathered up some courage to tackle it, so here is the progress so far:

If anyone is interested, I ended up using a base layer of Corax White followed by the Apothecary White Contrast Paint, then touched up with Corax White and then some White Scar highlighting. I think it turned out okay.

I don't think the reins turned out so great, any tips on that? I find it hard to do the layer --> highlight thing on so small areas :roll:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Love the dark colour scheme!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:11 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Great work!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

AslakSkaldagrim wrote:
I don't think the reins turned out so great, any tips on that? I find it hard to do the layer --> highlight thing on so small areas :roll:

I'm not the best painter but I find with things like reins and belts the highlights have to be neater than normal, as it's such a small detail if the lines are wobbly it looks worse than if the same was applied to a larger area on a cloak for example.

My tip then would be to take your time with them, make sure that you first have a strong base (2 thin coats). When you come to apply the highlight pause and look at the model, just think and plan out which edges of the reins you want to hit. Thin your highlight paint but don't overload your brush as you need to control it carefully here so wipe off the excess then practice your straight lines, you will probably need two thin coats of the highlight.

If you're like me and after doing that you still have wobbly lines then once it's dry come back in with your base colour to tidy it up, I find this a lot easier this way :-D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Nice work, those bases are something very special!