All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 pm

Post subject: War in the North
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:47 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hello One-Ring'ers,

First Post! Actually I wrote all this before then my PC unexpectedly reset and i'm writing all of this for the second time. Yay!

So I have been a long time lurker on these forums and have found a great deal of entertainment and inspiration from everyone posting projects and finished models. Its really good that The Hobbit and LotR SBG's are being kept alive by the online community, so I would like to get in on the fun.

Iv been away snowboarding in Canada for the last year and when I returned back to England in July I found that I still really enjoy building and painting little Dwarves and Goblins! Im actually working a lot right now saving up to move away to New Zealand next year and so don't find much time for games, but since being back I have been on a mission to finish up some old models and get my painting skills back up to par.

Since being back on July 14th I have finished painting the last half of the Goblin Town goblins which I started when the boxed set came out! 3 Cave trolls, 12 Wargs, 1 Giant Spider and am well under way with a Warg rider Orc Warband.
None of these were at a good stage where I felt I could start posting progress here as they were all half done or needed stripping or i just wanted to get them done with no distractions.

Long intro over... I have just started a small project that I think is going to be fun, quick and I haven't seen anyone else do this before so hopefully you will find it interesting. I am going to be creating:

The Three Heroes from War in the North

I played War in the North several years ago and loved it. I thought the Characters and Story Line was original and really fun. Whilst looking up the characters I found that the game actually wasn't very well reviewed because of its lack of depth, but I liked it because its LotR, had a simple leveling and equipping system and was split screen co-op which is rare and all of this means I could play with my girlfriend! Anyway.. ever since I had always thought it would be cool to have the Three Heroes in miniature form.

So I have suddenly been inspired and bought a few models that are the closest representations to the characters I could find and I am going to convert and paint them up to be the heroes as I remember them (e.g. the weapons and armor I used in the game) I will also create some custom Stats based off of existing similar characters.

So here we go with the WiP's:

First up and my favorite Character: Farin the Dwarf

This guy is based on a Khazad Guard with Axe, it was very tempting to use a Gimili model but I wanted a bit more armour showing and thought It wouldnt be very exciting as hes gonna be painted similar to Gimli anyway.
He has a Warhammer Hammer instead of his Axe and I green stuffed the handle to make it a bit thicker and match up with the head of the hammer better. Also some green stuff braids in his beard to make him look more characterful.

Next up: Andriel the Elf

So this lady is based on a Wood Elf Banner Bearer, who happens to be female which is perfect. I chopped off the banner and the top of the staff was green stuffed to look similar to her staff in the group picture from the game (above). During the game she can level up to duel wield a sword and staff so this model worked perfect except for one thing...

The original models face is very manly, whilst quite clearly having a female body. I did a quick test paint so I could see the features clearly and the forehead and jaw line were far to predominant for me so I carefully sliced and filed away to soften the features. I think I have sorted it, but wont be able to tell until the undercoat as it will show better.

And lastly: Eradan the Ranger

Simple choice here and GW makes Rangers of the North, I was very happy with this model as a representation of Eradan although to make him just that slightly bit original I green stuffed the edges of a helmet he wears in the game just protruding from beneath his hood. He has a bow in hand and a sword by his side so no weapon changes needed here at all.

Finally the Three Heroes of the North ready to do battle...
or get painted.

I will just note that all the models are still available on the GW webstore. Howver I bought all the models from eBay, not because they are cheaper (which they were just) but because I wanted these specific poses and didnt want the extra models to cause clutter as I have enough unpainted chaps already!

I hope you like this project let me know what you think of them, if you liked the game and if you have any suggestions for their rules.

Next update: They will be undercoated and hopefully had their base colours done...

Post subject: Re: War in the North
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:29 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Excellent little project and they look like really good representations of the characters (though I haven't played the game). Looking forward to seeing them with a lick of paint on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:43 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The game responsible for my interest in LOTR and a band of adventurers. I chose my theme; exploring the South, as for me personally, the story of this trio has been told.

A definite almost direct inspiration for my campaign though.

Really like your choices in models for the characters; I was a sucker for the elven style armor gear in the game.

Next conversion - one of the heroes being lifted up and pounded by a Troll ;)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If you are interested in altering the elf's head a bit more you could purchase a sprue of female Elf heads from hassle free minis.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You want an elf sorcerer like that?

may I recommend you?

Check this out :)

http://heresyminiatures.com/kickstarter ... c29ce75f1b

you just need a bit conversions :P
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

in extreme cases you just need to cut this elf torso and that wood sentinel then add some greenstuff to sculpt then voilá
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:02 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Never played that game, but your conversions are nice. I can see the file work on the elf, think it should look good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:18 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Excellent project, I've been playing this game a lot lately but my eye has been on the background with the idea of doing some of the terrain. Especially at Sarn Ford and the statue built into the rock.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the comments everyone, really good motivation to keep going when there are so many distractions but progress has been made!

So I painted up Farin pretty quick as I was entering last months Hobby Challenge and I'm happy with the standard I have painted him to.

Again I'm glad I chose a different model than Gimli a the paint job is very similar. I tried some freehand rune patterns on some of the flatter armour plates and round his helmet to make him stand out as a hero even more.
The hammer is a bit fat around the top, but some sledge hammers are like this anyway so I wasn't too bothered.

I also have a crossbow I'm altering to go on his back and then he'll be finished.

Next we have Andriel, all but finished.
Galanur that heresyminiatures model is much better that the original Wood Elf model I'm using, but I have put a fair bit of work into mine now so I'm committed, I wont give up on her!

I'm happy with the simple conversion work on her; the green stuff staff head is a bit chunky but matches the shaft well enough, I really like the way the headband has made her more individual and regal, and the face reshaping I hope you agree has worked and made her much more feminine in the face (compare to my first post for what she could have looked like!).

Painting wise, I like the blue/greys and silvers, looks a bit dark here but once iv got some better lighting its much lighter. The green cape has worked well but I cant help thinking it should have been grey as she is a High elf and now she looks a bit too Wood elfy. But she never has a cape in the game and Its more practical in green...

Last up and barely touched still in Eradan...

Sometimes when I'm painting bases I just grab a model from the to do pile and start their base too. This happened with him and Iv also base coated his cloak green.

I'm still toying with where to paint green or brown on him, His tunic is going to be green and I don't want him to be too mono-coloured so he maybe would look good with a brown cloak, but it would dramatically change his look. Perhaps a pale green tunic and dark green cloak with the standard brown leathers and chain mail armour will look characterful enough if painted well. Maybe some gold edging to make him look more heroic.

Finally the motivational group shot.

Again thanks for the comments, hope you like what Iv done so far, let me know what you think?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Looking good!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:21 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Lovely little project! Excellent work! I really like it!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:26 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

One of my favorite games War in the North. Well done :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Soooooo.... Its been 2 years since I started this WIP! I did actually finish all three characters a long time ago but didn't have the camera gear or setup to take any good photos. I also moved to Canada and New Zealand which cut out my hobby time by 100%!

Im getting back into it now, mainly painting, for the Hobby Challenge and trying to get through the awesome Thorins Company so that I can play through the Hobbit movie scenarios.

Anyway I finally took some photos of the Three Heros from War in the Noth, so here we have them:

Farin.

Andriel.

Eradan.

And a group shot to finish this project off. Thanks for checking them out!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:31 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Fantastic work on all 3 bud.

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

They look great! If you do any more stuff, remember to post it here! We'd love to see it! :)