All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:00 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: A dark Kingdom rises in the north…...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:46 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Beautiful cohesive force, and a wonderful goal to set yourself.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:16 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the nice comments! I started to make some thematic scenery for the campaign, but it's to early to show the progress. Maybe on sunday…..

paliouras wrote:
lots of creativity put into this warband, I really like them, my only criticism is the uniformity in the paint scheme, not of my taste for orcs, except for Morannon orcs.

I agree. But since I wanted my Gundabads to be the elite of my Orcs and to stand out from the rest I decided to go for the uniformity way. And you'll be happy to know I'll play them following the Morannon Orcs rules! :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:35 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Do you have any WIP shots of the Gundabad Orcs? Would like to try and replicate them!

https://shadowsoverarda.wordpress.com/
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well,then you got me! As a kind of more uniformed regiment of orcs, I accept it. For a second time, I'm very impressed with you work. i would find it more useful for the rest of us, painters/ collectors/ gamers, if you guys who are veryeffective in converting, would give us more detailed info on your work. Well done!

PM for commission work
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ShadowOverArda wrote:
Do you have any WIP shots of the Gundabad Orcs? Would like to try and replicate them!

You ask for a tutorial? Then you shall receive one!

First we find ourselves a few bits. I'll use mostly Fireforge bits on this one and a shield from GB. And of course Green Stuff!

We use a bit of the Green Stuff to make a crude breastplate. Add some dents and scratches if you like! You can also scratch up the weapons.

then glue on the arms. You can position them how you like the fur will cover up any gaps!

Then we add GS to the areas we want to be covered by fur.

Add the texture. A modeling knife is good enough for the job!

lets make the helmet more Orc like. Remember orcs don't need straight lines. Try to make the helmet look like it was made by a poor smith.

Glue everything together and you have an unique orc! Just the paint is missing!

Hope it helps!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ask and you'll receive!!
Man, you're great! Thanks

PM for commission work
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:33 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Fantastic tutorial! I shall certainly have to try this out one day!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:25 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

absolutely beautifull looking army..from the individual orcs, to the banner/captain and hero's
might borrow an idea or 2 if u dont mind
very inspirational, well done 8)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Looking good! I like how you created some unique orcs :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The campaign is about to start, so I decided to start writing some fluff leading up to the first game.

Gror was worried. His eyes, now well adjusted to the dark darted from one torchlight to the next. He had no doubt, the enemy was here. And in great numbers.

The dwarves of Thorins Hall had enjoyed peace for a very long time, but it seemed that was about to change. The Ered Luin, the Blue Mountains, were always protected by countless patrols, guarding the trade routes to their kinsmen in Erebor.

Gror was one of the soldiers sent on the latest patrol. Usually a few wargs and other beasts were the only danger in these parts. But now the patrol had stumbled on what seemed to be an Orc pack marching thorough the land of their lord.
Some of the younger Dwarves wanted to charge the pack head on.

Eager for battle as they were the captain of the patrol had to convince them that the Lord in Thorins Hall had to be warned first. And after all no one was sure just how many Orcs were in these woods.

Gror was glad for the judgement of his captain. As they continued to watch the enemy from a safe distance on a small ridge the torches seemed to multiply. This was not a mere Orc pack. It was a warparty. The Dwarves counted hundreds of foul creatures moving below them.

The Orcs poured into a glade. Gror knew the place. The patrol would often stop at the same spot to refill their water supplies. The Dwarves cursed the Orcs when they saw them decend upon the spring in the middle of the opening. After they were done only a dirty, muddy pool remained.

When they were done gourging themselves on the water the creatures gathered around a giant Orc who was shouting orders in their foul language. A fire was lit and the Orcs began setting up a camp.

Now in the shine of the big bonfire the dwarves could see the enemy clearly for the first time. These Orcs were unlike any the Dwarves had seen before. The majority of the Orcs were bigger and stronger built then the common breed. Some of them even seemed to sport some kind of shaggy uniform.

The Dwarves could see crude drawings on big black shields, sharp axes, cutlers and long spears. Gror looked closer at the shields and thought he saw a crude heraldy that resembled something like a stilised crown above a trio of letters. He had never heard of Orcs that used this kind of heraldy.

The leader of the Orcs was the biggest Orc Gror had ever seen. The hulking figure moved between the Orcs, apparently laying out some plan in thier foul tonge, while he was shoving and punching every one of his followers that looked at him in the wrong way.

Grors Captain had seen enough. He ordered his patrol to retreat. Lord Borin needed to be warned.

Lord Borin Lord of Ered Luin sat on his throne in Thorins Hall. The news were troubling indeed. This danger had to be dealt with. And dealt with soon. There was no time to muster a real army.
The orc warband was threatening the harvest of the farms around Thorins Hall. Lord Borin couldn’t risk his subjects starving in the winter.

He saw one opurtunity to end this conflict before it really began. Cut of the head of the snake.

If the giant Orc warlord fell in a surprise attack, then his army would surely disperse and flee.

Lord Borin rose from his throne. „Assemble the household guard!“

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:42 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Really cool stuff. Great tutorial. Will have to give it a try.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Next up some common Orcs, 2 Captains and another Cave Troll

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

And now some Troll backsides and scenery!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:41 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I love your Trolls :yay:
They're looking greeaaat 8)

DerSchweizerElb
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:44 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Is that a Necromancer or some kind of spirit next to the wights?

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

That is one of my fully converted Shades.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Somewhere in the Wild or by the Gaming Table in Imladris
Great tutorial! Nice and simple with no hacking round the bush. :)

Your "fluffy" story for your campaign is cool! Any campaign becomes special when someone takes the time to make such a nice background. Really sets the scene for some great battles! The "Assemble the Household Guard!" is the best!

Elladan & Elrohir

We have the Appearance of Men, the Souls of Elves, and Behave like Dwarves.
 Post subject: Re: A dark Kingdom rises in the north…... First Battle 24.3.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quick Battlereport of the first game in our campaign.
Quick summary of the scenario: Should be quit easy for the dwarves. They only have to kill the Orc leader. The Orcs are scattered through the wood but get unlimited reinforcements, so the dwarves have to be fast. If you want details for the scenario just ask!

Gror tightened his grip on his axe. The Orc warband was walking straight into Lord Borins trap. The giant Orc leading the host was walking at the head of his bodyguads straight at the small hill not knowing that Lord Borin was waiting for him with his best warriors concealed just behind the top.

The warband was scattered throughout the wood. Not prepared for a fight and unable to form any kind of marching formation because of the rough terrain when the Dwarves fell upon them. Numerous war cries could be heard, but above all the cry of Borins Khazad Guard instilled fear in their enemys hearts.
„Baruk Kahzad! Khazad ai-mennu! Ered Luin! Khazad! Khazad!“

Gror charged alongside his battle brothers towards the sheer unending mass of Orcs. He saw a savage shaman in the Orc horde trying to goad his followers into a frenzy but failing terribly upon hearing the terrible warcry of the dwarves. Another shaman was more succesfull and pushed his followers towards their leader.
Like a wave of steel the Dwarves crashed into the enemy. The giant Orc was shrinking back, pushing his bodyguards before him and shouting for reinforcements.

The Orc bodyguards were swept away in the first assault. Lord Borin urged the Dwarves to push towards the warleader. Cutting a path towards him Borins bodyguards made a bloody harvest. The dwarvish losses were few, but here and there a single Dwarf was sourrounded and killed.

Gror pulled his axe from an Orc skull and suddenly spottet the warchief. He tried to push Orcs out of his way but couldn’t get to him. A member of the Kahzad Guard found an opening and charged the giant Orc headlong but he was to slow. Gror saw his comrade getting hit by the axe of the warlord. Even the fine dwarven steel could not withstand the brutish blow the Orc had delt. Gror watched in horror as he saw the Khazad Guard falling to the ground almost cut in two.

Another figure charged the Orc leader and his guards. Gror cheered as loud as he could, when he saw his Lord steping into the gap in the ranks and challenging the warleader. Then he lost sight of them.

Lord Borin dealt the first blow but the armour of the Orc held. The fighters exchanged blow for blow and it was soon clear that the Dwarf was the better fighter of the two. But what the Orc lacked in skill he made up in pure strenghth and resilience.
Borin could feel his limbs getting heavier and heavier and he knew he was in trouble. All around him he saw his warriors overwhelmed by sheere numbers. Although they cut down countless orcs more and more were drawn to the battle by the deafening noise. It was taking to long to finish this Orc. They were fighting an war of attrition they could not win. Borin could feel foul magic trying to weaken him but he pushed through the feeling.

Borins captains were trying to get to his help and one of them, the famouse captain Dori of the legendary Company of King Thorin, managed to cut trough the Orc lines all by him selfe were he met a foul Orc shaman. The shaman stood no chance against his wrath and was killed before he could even raise his hands. Dori managed to hold of most of the reenforcements coming from the south to the aid of thier leader by him selfe by swinging his weapon in big arcs which none could pass in the dense terrain.

Gror saw his comrades die one by one. Slowly but surely they were encircled and finished of with crude weapons. He could still see his Lord duelling the Orc leader and his bodyguards in the middle of the Orc horde. Then he saw Borin geting hit by the warleader. Borin cried out but retalliated imediately nearly hittig the Orc and Gror was relieved to see that his Lords armour had saved him.
Borin saw the hole in his breastplate and was glad his Chainmail had held.

Then Captain Nori, also from the famouse Company of Thorin Oakenshield, broke through the Orc lines and was beside him. The old Captain laughed.

„Sorry my Lord but the time for a fair duell is over! Let’s finish this together.“

Borin chuckled and together the two Dwarves continued fighting in a ring of Orcs. Now faced with two dwarven Heroes the Orcs were under pressure. Soon the warleader sunk back with a deep bleeding wound. He sreamed at his followers to finish the few remaining dwarves.

Gror knew the end was near. Either Borin and Nori could kill the warleader now or they would die in the next minutes. The last warriors tried to regrouped around the banner of Ered Luin. Some were cut off in a sea of Orcs and went down fighting. Captain Dori fell while holding of countless enemys. He sacreficed himself, bying more time for the dwarves.

All was lost and Gror was prepared to die under the flag of Ered Luin in a glorious last stand when he saw the first Orcs breaking. He looked for this Lord and saw him standing triumphant infront of the corpse of the giant Orc.

The enemy was paniking. Lord Borin had made the right decision and his plan had worked out.
The Dwarves cried out in triumph but when they realized their losses a silence befell them. Only barely a quarter of them was still standing. Many were gravely wounded and barely clinging on to live like Captain Dori who was found under a heap of enemy corpses.

Lord Borin decided that they were to few to persue the fleeing Orcs. They would retreat to Thorins Hall and beginn to muster an army. He was sure that these Orcs weren’t the only danger comming for them.

„And send out messengers to our allies! They have to be warned! Something dark stirs in the north.....“

Post subject: Re: A dark Kingdom rises in the north……
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Awesome battle report! I can't wait to see where this goes. You kept the suspense going until the very end, making me wondering while reading whether the dwarves would be able to achieve their mission or die trying.

Also, great tutorial on making the orcs! I might have to steal some ideas from you . . .

Post subject: Re: A dark Kingdom rises in the north……
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:39 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Somewhere in the Wild or by the Gaming Table in Imladris
Well done! I usually never read battle reports, but this one was fun! :)

We have the Appearance of Men, the Souls of Elves, and Behave like Dwarves.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next