All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:33 am

Post subject: Star the hobbit's WIP
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:49 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I am fairly new to the hobby and am looking for some constructive criticism on my painting. I don't have a whole lot of spare time but paint when I can. To start I will be attempting to finish my Rohan army, this is what I have done so far. Comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated, but please bear in mind I am new to painting.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Star the hobbit's WIP
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:22 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well, you've got the most important basics down; neatness, opacity, consistency of paint and basic tone. From here the next two steps are layering and shading. In their simplest form- layering means you add a slightly lighter tone to the raised contours of the model, and shading you add a slightly darker tone to the recesses. The simplest way to get your head around it is to pick one colour, say green for the cloak. Paint it green first, mix some green and white on a palette and go over the highest part. When dry, mix some black and green in the same way, add a little water and paint into the deep
parts. As you progress you can start from the darkest colour and work up in layers, each one slightly lighter and thinner.

There are dozens of techniques, and styles, but in terms of getting you thinking about light and colour I think this is the best place to start. Your minis are good enough that you can apply these techniques to ones you've already painted.

Post subject: Re: Star the hobbit's WIP
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:24 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Can't really add much from what Gene has said that these look really good for someone new to the hobby yet you still have the enjoyable journey of furthering your skills and reaping the rewards this brings.