All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:18 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pokyha WIP: 29/01/15 Update Guards of the fountain Court
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:18 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

AWESOME!!!

I want some of those.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:00 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Those fountain guard models look great!!:)
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:59 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

After a long time of doing nothing this is what I'm doing now.

Here we go, converting my spare mounted fellowship Boromir and my armored foot Boromir to make a Mounted armored version (with lance) :-D

Had to cut Boromir off is horse and cut the foot Boromir in half while keeping his shield in good condition.

A few weeks later I put Boromir together had to file the contact point on the horse down a lot to make him look natural and so he doen't have 2 metre long legs lol.

Cut the cloak back a bit so he fits and this is what it looks like now with blue tack holding him together

Now all I need to do is the green stuff. So chainmail, cloak, attach base, fix up damaged parts while I was chopping everything reattach tail and make it all join together seamlessly and I want it painted before the end on May :o

Wish me luck :)

Post subject: Re: Pokyha WIP: 11/05/15 Update Converting Boromir.
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:55 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Here is my finished entry Boromir COTWT.

I am very pleased with my chain-mail. I starting to get the hand of it looking at shaping the loops certain ways insead of just having dots poked into the green stuff.

I did some pin work on this one. Pinned the hand with the lance, the tail on and most importantly the foot onto the base which adds a lot of stability to the miniature and the ankle shouldn't break again. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:03 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Great green stuff work there sir!
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:39 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

very nice conversion . :)
nice work with the green stuff particularly on the cloak.
im waiting for the painted version . :-D

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:15 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Excellent conversion indeed, and nice putty work! 8)
What tools do you use? I feel that some silicon clay shaping tools might (even further) improve the clothing. These are better for making organic, smooth folds. It already looks great as it is though!
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:50 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Fëanor, the mighty elf wrote:
Excellent conversion indeed, and nice putty work! 8)
What tools do you use? I feel that some silicon clay shaping tools might (even further) improve the clothing. These are better for making organic, smooth folds. It already looks great as it is though!

I do use the clay shaping tools. I still need to improve my skills at using them I can't quite get the really smooth look yet.

When I got the clay tools though my work drastically improved.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I hope to have him done by the end of May. I have started already, I might put a few WIP pics up to keep you entertained :)

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Okay, great! Do you keep the tools wet when sculpting? I feel that often helps a lot as well. Also using fresh Green Stuff helps, or actually another type of putty might help as well, to get your conversions to the next level. I can really recommend ProCreate, especially for cloth. It holds details better, doesn't expand when reacting and it's grey so there's better contrast.

I didn't notice this before, by the way, but the chain mail looks great! Very realistic work there.

Keep up the excellent work! 8)
 Post subject: Re: Pokyha WIP: 19/06/15 Update Painted Boromir.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:46 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I finally have another update for you all.

I promised to give you some updates but I did these two in about day so no point really.

This is the first time I've taken photos using my phone they look pretty good but I think I will stick to the normal camera from now on.

I had painted up Boromir COTWT before so I wanted the banner and mounted version to look the same as the old one so I copied the scheme the best I could and I am really happy with the results.

Here are the group all together.

This is the banner version I copied the GW version somewhat for the banner. I am really pleased with the colour for the cloth. That just off white colour is perfect.

I also remember how much I hate painting freehand while doing this, you have to clean up every mistake then make the colour from beforehand then paint over the mistake while still trying to make it fit in. :-X

I also learned I should paint the banner fairly early on, I painted the banner last and the handled the miniature too much rubbing some of the paint off. The cloak still needs some touch ups.

The horse is great, I like the colour of him and the ice blue works well on the tassel bit? whatever it is called. I also painted some small socks on the two front legs.

Boromir sits seamlessly in the saddle, you can't even tell he is converted. I am really happy with the way the cloak turned out and I love the blue I painted I think it one of the better ones I have painted.

The chainmail looks good. The red shield is a great contrast to the blue I used on the model. Also why is Boromirs shield red? I don't remember seeing any other red in Minas Tirith or Gondor in the movies anyone know?

Post subject: Re: Pokyha WIP: 2/07/15 Update Painted Barrow wights.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:01 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Just worked on these Barrow wights since a group of us are going through the Fellowship of the ring Journey book.

I wanted to go for a more rotting haunted look than a ghostly look. So I made their skin white and pale with sunken eyes. The bright clothing they once wore is faded and dull, the armor still looks good but is starting to rust.

Here is the group photo, You can't really tell but the one of the left has a greener dress? than the one on the right I kind of decided to change it half way through to a greener one but oh well.

The back view you can see the faded red colour. I Imagine the guys were once wealthy men/elves that wore rich garbs of clothing of royal blues and reds. So they do not have a unified look as GW paint scheme shows.

A close up of the face with terrifying eyes. I gave this one a bronze armor as well as steel. (I need to get me some proper bronze instead of using the golds I have as substitutes) I also added some small gems to the belt and added a gloss glaze on it.

The other face to chill you wears a golden crown here you can see the rust on the weapon armor and chain mail. I like the armor rust but not sure about the rest. I used the new paints GW released a little bit ago for the rust.

Here is the other one with a rusting sword. Any advice how to make it look better or does it look good already?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:01 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Those barrow wights look great. I also enjoyed your Easterling conversions. Excellent work there! 8)

Current Project: Ringwraiths - Haradrim - Mumakil
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:09 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have been up to a lot in the past like year or so. I have been posting everything on the NZHL (New Zealand hobbit league) Facebook page so I have left this one to sit idle.

So i have done some Easterling black dragons foot and mounted conversions, Amdur lord of blades, easterling dragon knight, mordor orcs (more of them yeah) Converted troll chieftain, mordor siege bow, warg riders, gothmog sharku and orc captain and orc shaman all mounted. Some Morranon command. Heaps of stuff. If you want me to upload some photos just ask.

But here are some photos of what I have just done.

Got the big boys done

First time using a white undercoat on a model, took me on a big learning curve. I ended up painting a darker white (that doesn't make any sense??) as a base coat on the cloak robes etc then building up to a pure white. The trick was to use warm, cool and neutral whites to separate the "one coloured" model. It gets hard when you try make two warm whites look different though.

Aragorn was pretty straight forward I'm getting good at doing a pure black the free hand could have been a bit better but oh well table standard. I also did some touch ups on the foot model to get him up to the same level as well.

I'm looking forward to using one of these in the Burning of the westfold tournament coming up soon.

Post subject: Re: Pokyha WIP: 28/02/16 Update Big boys.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:42 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Excellent work on both of these models! 8) I really like the added blue tint to Gandalf's staff.

Post subject: Re: Pokyha WIP: 28/02/16 Update Big boys.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:03 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Wonderful stuff!

Especially the Freehand on Aragorn looks nice! If this is just your tabletop-standard my Minis are just a bunch of trash ^^

Keep up your good work 8)

Post subject: Re: Pokyha WIP: 9/04/16 Dunlendings.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:02 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Upload time.

Over the next few days I plan to put up work I have done over the past year after I switched to facebook to show my stuff off instead of here. Then I thought why not both? So stay tuned for all kinds of fun stuff.

Here are my fierce Dunlendings. I used some Viking historics from Wargames factory for them. Super customization with these guys even so I still had to add my own bits and green stuff to add arms and fill gaps.

Captain model I added the cloak on him, I'm not sure about the green but I needed another colour and a grey green seemed like a dull colour for these impoverished warriors. He could have stolen it from a Rohan Warrior too. A fur trim to represent the cold conditions.

Banner Guy had no clue what was on the GW model (can anyone help me out here) so I made my own up and put a Wolf on it; seems to fit with their theme. Decided to add a Celtic inspired design on it after I got some help for ideas from the guys down on the NZHL. Added a light grey border to the wolf after it didn't contrast enough.

Two handed weapons.

Two handed weapons

Bowmen

Bowmen

Shield guys. I'm really happy with how these guys came out. The thorn white is a really good contrasting colour. The simple but bold shield designs are quite striking.

More shields

And Here is my Uruk-hai Shaman. Really great pose for this guy had fun painting him up and got to use my new bone paints that worked wonders when painting him up.

I tried to add Ginger hair for the first time didn't quite come out as orange as I would like what do you guys think? I got some new reds, browns and Bone coloured paints from GW recently and I got to use them all on these miniatures. Makes painting so much easier I need more paints but need more money too.

Got these guys all done for the two towers journey book my gaming group are going to start soon. We needed some Dunlendings but were all too cheap to get the real McCoy. Now I want to add Thrydan to the army too. Need more money. :sad:

Time to test them out in action.

Post subject: Re: Pokyha WIP: 2015 updates; Easterlings Dragon Knights
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:37 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

These are the Easterlings I did a while back back in August last year. I ended up rushing them a bit for a tournament and it really shows up. I don't plan to do that again.

Here is the Dragon knight. Looking back I am not happy with him. If my black dragons are elites; this guy just has the same colour scheme as the standard easterling troops. He needs a new colour to make him stand out. I am pleased with the horse though.

Here is Amdur; you can see the mounted version back on my WIP. This guy works really well with the royal red colour. (I don't want the dragon knight to have the same colour this can be reserved for Amdur only) The yellow on the inside looks quite nice too.

Here are the Black Dragons I have seen a few ideas around the place but I came up with this one. Black uniform is a obvious choice but I still keep ties with the original soldiers. I cut the the helmet creast off and put to the front almost like horns of a dragon. Then added some miniature barbed wire and used it as a tail to the helmet like the tail of a dragon.

Here you can see some details on the model and the edited helmet.

I've created some cavalry too. I kept the horses the same as my regular warriors just changed them the same as the others.

Here you can see good detail on the helmet the tail is made from metal so I can bend it to the position I like in this case flying behind the easterling exaggerating movement.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:40 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I really love what you've done to the Black Dragon Easterlings. 8) The silver color fits perfectly with the gold. I think my favorite model is the pikeman that is throwing his pike! :-D :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:23 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Haha he's not meant to be throwing it. just thrusting above his shield. But it does look like that. :rofl:

Post subject: Re: Pokyha WIP: 2015 updates; objectives
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:47 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Because I keep going to tournaments and in the player pack it says bring an objective marker but no one brings one anyway; I made my own. :)

Here we go.

So I made some treasure chests. All credit goes to the DMs craft. He gives great videos on all types of terrain super cheap and easy. These chests took no time at all and come out great. check out the vid below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBDX57JXnLo

I then made a key that has been dug up (perfect for seize the prize aye?) Simple sand in a pile with pva, dig out a hole in the base then green stuff the bottom of the hole and shape a key in the hole.

And the proud NZHL banner flying high and mighty.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next