All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:18 pm

Post subject: CaptainQuark's Campaign WIP
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:53 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey all :)

Thought I'd start a fresh WIP thread for my campaign rather than resurrecting my old thread from 2014 :lol: I'm going to use this to document my terrain building and miniature painting journey as I progress through my campaign, of which the battle reports can be seen in the relevant battle reports section of the forum :)

At the minute, before I start Act 3 - Osgiliath, I need to build the terrain tiles for the Osgiliath sewers and paint some more orcs and Gondor heroes.

First up is a completed photo of the Osgiliath veterans I've just finished:

More of these guys, along with lots of my other completed work can be seen on my instagram if anyone here has an account :)

Next up are the two Wardens of Gondor heroes, Hurin and Ingold. These will be used for the battle company that features in a mini-campaign within the Osgiliath act, and I decided to depart from the traditional Gondor colour scheme and make them stand out a bit:

Those pictures are before the nuln oil wash, the below pictures are after the wash:

Along with these two, I'm also going to use the Cirion model as part of the battle company, so he is painted in the same scheme (again before a wash):

What do people think so far? :) I cannot claim credit for the colour scheme, I was inspired by the awesome work of an instagram account called chewie_painting! :yay:

Any advice for highlighting the brassy-gold armour? I'm thinking a very very thin edge highlight of silver?

All comments are welcome :-D

Post subject: Re: CaptainQuark's Campaign WIP
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:54 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The veterans are great, a real grizzled set of warriors.

I would go with silver highlight, yes, but as thin as possible.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Saw these on IG. Very nice. (I'm @abbmodels)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

@Slinky, thanks! :D I love these sculpts, full of character :)

@Gene, yeah the connection between your account here and your instagram clicked with me when I saw your Aragorn on your WIP the other day :)

Hurin, Ingold and Cirion are completed:

Quite pleased with how they turned out, the brass scorpion used for the armour is a lovely colour, think I'll use that for the Galadhrim (whenever I need to paint them :lol: )

Time to start work on the Osgiliath sewer terrain now, updates coming soon :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Slick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:13 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Great brushwork!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:11 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Really cool looking miniatures! I like the sharp highlights on the veterans. The color scheme on Cirion, Hurin and Ingold works great as well. The armor came out really well, but I think the cloaks could benefit from layering them instead of washing - some of the shadows are a little too heavy for my taste.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:36 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

When I first saw this paint scheme, I thought: "oh no, fashion disaster". But the finished models look marvelous. I really like the gold. I'm doing Egyptians for my other games at present and would love to know how you got that colour.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for all the comments so far everyone :)

Quote:
The armor came out really well, but I think the cloaks could benefit from layering them instead of washing - some of the shadows are a little too heavy for my taste.

@Qwertz8, appreciate the advice, I do see what you mean :) Unfortunately I think some of the varnish on these guys was still drying when I took the pictures and it kinda made the cloaks look a bit shiny and throw the contrast up in the air :roll: Might try some pure layering when painting my next red cloak :-D

Quote:
I really like the gold. I'm doing Egyptians for my other games at present and would love to know how you got that colour.

@GreatKhanArtist, thanks! :) Very simple recipe for the gold, Brass Scorpion basecoat over white (Brass Scorpion may be an old paint name?), followed by a Nuln Oil wash and then a thin edge highlight of whatever silver takes your fancy (I used the old Boltgun Metal). I much prefer this scheme for gold now over a couple of other test schemes, and will definitely be using it for my Galadhrim down the line :-D

Time for an update on the Osgiliath Sewers:

Here are all eight tiles (I'm only doing eight because that's all I can store :lol: ) with the polystyrene cut out for the walkways. Very difficult to source extruded polystyrene where I am, so I've to make do with the white stuff :roll:

Each tile is a 6" square piece of 6mm mdf, nice and sturdy.

The foamboard walls all marked out.

Walls cut out of 5mm foamboard.

Walls and walkways glued down to the tile bases. As you can see from the mock-up, there are a total of 3 straight tiles, 2 corners, 1 t-junction, 1 crossroads and 1 entrance/exit (the u-shaped tile).

Here are all eight tiles so far. They now have the arches and corner supports glued in, along with all the brickwork glued down for the walkways. The entrance/exit ladder is glued against the wall, while you can see the other small ladders are yet to be glued in place (they will lead from the sewer floor up to the walkway). Additionally, as you can see I have made some wooden walkways/bridges to be placed here and there across the stone walkways during games. Finally, there are three sewer grilles/vents/opening-thingys that will be glued on shortly.

Next up is to get my tub of polyfilla and cover up the obvious polystyrene ball-structure on the sides of the walkways, and to stipple some texture on the walls. Then it's pretty much onto painting!

I'll leave you with a couple of close-ups:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:33 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The sewers are looking great! Can't wait to see 'em painted up.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:55 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks @DaveT! :-D

Sewers are now finished up, I'm very happy with how they turned out and am really looking forward to playing through them.

Here are a few more WIP shots of them, adding the texture using polyfilla and then the painting:

As you can see, I also used this opportunity to texture and paint the bridge that I need for one of the scenarios.

Here are some shots of a couple of different layouts with the finished pieces:

I used a dark green wash to add some slime to the sewer bed and the corners of the walkways. I also decided to use it to try make some slimey marks on the wall, which turned out ok :roll: :-D

Time to smash through the last 12 orcs using contrast paints now, and then we're all ready to go for the Osgiliath act! :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Nice work on the sewers!

The bridge, is that a Warlord Games/Bolt Action Stone Bridge? How do you like it? Easy to put together?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:13 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

@Mapper, yes it is indeed! I built it quite a while ago, but from what I remember it was fairly straight forward, there are grooves for everything to slot into place, and I just used some plastic glue to bond it together.

It has its own pavestone/cobblestone texture, however I decided to texture it further with some polyfilla to add more friction to the sloped parts to prevent metal minis sliding down them! Other than that, I like the size and the style, can easily fit into a Gondor region gaming area :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So the Osgiliath campaign is progressing nicely, but has been briefly placed on pause while I paint up some ladders for the next scenario, which is a small scale siege. I had thought I had everything ready for this Act, but alas I forgot that the orcs would need some ladders to attempt to scale the walls :)

Here are the ladders before being primed black (or re-primed for some of them). They are simply the ladders from the uruk siege troops box. The two larger ladders are custom built and represent the massive siege ladders that the uruks used at Helm's Deep to scale the Hornburg. I decided that I may as well do those two now :)

I have some other stuff on the table that I'll be chipping away at over the next while, getting them ready for the next few Acts in the campaign:

Gandalf has been cleaned and glued to the base. I need to apply the texture to the base next (I use the Astrogranite texture paint) and then prime him white. Looking forward to painting this model, my Gandalf schemes are always nice and simple, and I love the pose :-D

The balrog has been 'lightly' re-primed in black since I took this 'before' photo. I started painting it years ago, and now I am not happy at all with the fire or the wings, so decided to just start afresh. I kept the spray light so that no detail was obscured.

Finally, I have Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli and Boromir ready to paint for Amon Hen. Again, these guys were started a while ago, so the bases are finished and their skin has gotten a basecoat down. I also love these sculpts, so looking forward to painting them up :)

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 3:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

An update on Gandalf! :)

Here you can see that he is basecoated in white, with the base textured and basecoated black, ready for drybrushing. I don't usually use black as a basecoat for the bases, but since this model is specifically going to be used to represent Gandalf at the bridge of Khazad-Dum, I'm giving him a moria-themed base, to match the goblins and my moria fellowship. I have also basecoated the skin with the gulliman flesh contrast paint (which is awesome 8) )

The next stage here (which is a terrible photo) shows some more progress; all basecoats are down, and anything that is not a contrast paint has been given a wash (the hair/beard, metal and scabbard).

Finally, here is the finished model :) Very happy with how he turned out, Gandalfs are always nice to paint because they have a relatively simple paint scheme that comes together quickly. Now I just need to paint a Balrog for him to fight :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 4:08 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Very nicely done!
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:00 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Super - I need to get some of that magical Guilliman Flesh :)
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:22 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks @HerkNav :-D

@Slinky, yeah it has completely changed how I paint flesh; white undercoat, slap on some Guilliman Flesh, sparse extreme edge highlight with Pallid Wych Flesh, and you're good to go! :-D

Made a start on the Balrog for the upcoming Moria act. As mentioned previously, he was lightly re-undercoated first, and thus far I have drybrushed the base a grey stone colour, and undercoated the main fire areas and the whip white. The base will get some OSL once the flames/fire parts are completed.

I am aware that I am missing the middle flame for the base, however I haven't a clue where it is, so I'll make do without :roll: Shouldn't matter too much when the whole thing is painted up anyway!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:35 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So I've been staring at the Balrog the last while and had just developed this mental block against attempting him :roll: So to try get me in the painting zone again I gave Amon Hen Legolas a quick paint; nothing too crazy, mainly contrast paints:

I must say, I've always loved painting Legolas models. I think its the nice shades of green and bluey-grey 8)

As usual, I meant to take more progress photos but got caught up in the painting! The first photo shows the colours starting to go down on top of a white basecoat, starting with the skin and the large areas like the cloak.

The next couple of photos show all the basecoats down but no shading or highlighting. I didn't actually shade much of this model, as the contrast paints used provided decent depth, and I was conscious that I would darken the colours down too much for Legolas! So after the basecoats it was mainly just some highlighting (the skin did get a flesh wash to blend the highlights a bit and tone them down).

The last two photos are the finished piece (much better photos thanks to the lightbox 8) )

And then I did finally take the plunge and make a proper start on the Balrog yesterday :D I coated a few more areas in white, such as the cracked skin on his legs and forearms, and then started building up the colours for the flames:

I have built all the flames and cracked skin areas up to the red layer (just don't have a picture of that stage right now). I've to go over the cracked skin with black now, and I think I'll give the flames a subtle white drybrush to tie the layers in a bit better :)

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 2:15 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Legolas is looking good - The colour combo really works well, as you say :)

Balrog is coming on - The whip will look fearsome when done, I am sure!