All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Celevue's LotR campaign-behind the scenes(13/5 Deeping w
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Amazing stuff
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

WOW! I love the effort you are going to with these, not only building the terrain boards, but also thinking how to present, light and 'shoot' them... its like a movie set only with miniature figures!

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:59 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I like how you made more of the Balins Tomb room - I had been looking at that myself too. Most impressive.
The Dwarrowdelf Pillars - I am guessing you made one, then took a mold from it to make more out of hydrocal?
Cheers
Scott

Post subject: Re: Celevue's LotR campaign-behind the scenes(23/5 Balin bat
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:56 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Nice effect.

Post subject: Re: Celevue's LotR campaign-behind the scenes(23/5 Balin bat
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:34 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks for the kind comments!
@Scott, a miniature movie set is exactly what I'm thinking with the campaign, and this is probably why I won't do any video batreps - it's too much fun to stage as movie-like still photos of the scenarios as possible!

Here are two pics of the columns - the material used is basically 5cm thick styrofoam, plus 3mm foamboard. The bottom part is 9x9 cm square, 5cm thick. On top of that, a 7x7 cm square, also 5cm thick, topped by a 25cm tall part with a cross-section of 5x5 cm. Some beveled corners, plus 36 polygons cut from 3mm foamboard, and we're done!

For Helm's Deep, I've finished the eastern half of the stairs leading to Hornburg from the Deeping Wall:

...and added half-round trims to the Deeping Wall upper edge using Evergreen half-round styrene strips:

I've cut a number of blocks from styrofoam - these will be used for two representations of the breach in the Deeping Wall... firstly, the post-explosion ruined opening, made from these blocks:

...and secondly, these blocks will be used to model the section above the Deeping Stream culvert during the explosion:

My plan is to build the separate section of the wall in the process of bulging upwards and outwards, with model figures flying about, and billowing explosion clouds emerging from the culvert on both sides. These clouds are done by first forming suitable-sized, roughly tear-shaped armatures from chicken wire. A dumbbell was a very nice template to be used:

The chicken wire is then filled with white poly fiber, spray-painted, and lit from the inside. Here's a pic of the first lighting test, using a very powerful (but small) LED torch; note that the cloud has not been painted in any way yet - I'll test a couple of different variations of paint later:

I'm also planning the overall contours of the board - starting with the Deeping Stream. I originally gouged a trough for the stream, thinking of lining it with rocks and grey ballast, followed by Woodland Scenics realistic water. However, since the water will be opaque grey, I will save ballast by first leveling the stream with plaster poured into the trough. The surface of the plaster will then be painted grey, and on top of that, I'll pour a layer of realistic water. To prep the process, I glued styrofoam dams into the ends of the stream sections.

To help figure out how high the terrain level rises along the Hornburg, I'll glue cardboard to the bottom part of the outer walls (later on, I'll glue the 3mm depron with embossed brickwork on top of the cardboards). But before gluing anything, I added a few more support parts to which I can then glue the pieces of cardboard.

Once the overall contours are set, I can fully focus on the singe 80x90 cm section, finish the stream and ground, build the bulging section of the Deeping Wall, test suitable colours for the explosion, paint the wall, and convert & paint a large number of figures. Piece of cake!
 Post subject: Re: Celevue's LotR campaign-behind the scenes (27/5 Helm's D
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:16 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

WOW; it all looks amazingly promising! I absolutely love that cloud! Is it made of cotton balls or something?
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:22 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The detail looks very nice. It looks like the light will be strong enough.

I have had good luck with neon orange and yellow spray paint used by the power company to mark underground wires.

Yellow and orange fire ball. No backlight.

I finally saw this model in person. The large explosions are fixed bulbs but the small fires are flickering LEDs. Can not wait to see yours!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:06 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Great work again! The smoke cloud looks great already.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:46 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Fantastic idea- this is going to make an awesome battle report photo!

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:32 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

@ Celevue - Thanks so much on the info on the Dwarrowdelf column, very helpful :-)

Your attention to detail on the Deeping Wall is excellent, adding that half round plastic rod is a nice touch.

The staged explosion is going to be a sight to behold!

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:45 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wow, that explosion will look so good once all the lighting is correct!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:47 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Apologies, it’s been a while since my previous update – but things have progressed rather nicely, as the photos will show. But first, thanks for the comments! @Sir Richard, the clouds are made with white poly fiber – like cotton balls, but synthetic. Stuff that’s used to fill teddy bears, basically. There’s another pic two posts forward from this one (my update today is long enough to warrant dividing into three parts).

The building has continued around the breach in the Deeping Wall – I started by creating the post-explosion ruins, built from blue foam blocks cut to match the embossed blocks in the removable section as well as screen caps from the movie.

Here’s a closer look of the western part:

This is the eastern part:

The ruined parts will eventually get interior, with mixed rocks and gravel spilling out from between the two block walls.

More blocks were used to represent the section bulging from the force of the explosion. A hole was left on both sides for two flashlights to be snuggled in when lighting the explosion clouds from the inside. Block were glued so that they bulge outwards and upwards, with wire and bits of foam used as spacers, and making sure that blocks that remain in place after the explosion are not seen flying away. Again, the sizes of the blocks were matched to the removable part of the Deeping Wall as well as to the post-explosion ruins.

Strips of cardboard were glued as a base for rampart walkway stones – they were cut out from a replicated section of the top wall.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:49 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Bits of foam and thin steel wire were used as spacers for flying blocks on both sides – near the top they start to be more visible, but that’s ok.

This is where I decided that getting the entire 80x90cm section ready for the diorama challenge was not practical (or, indeed, even physically possible). Hence, I cut a small piece of 3cm foam to act as a base for a separate section with only the exploding part of the wall, plus a manageable amount of figures. This way I could also use a nicer base made of wood underneath the diorama ground block.

The walls got a base coat of Noch grey spray paint:

…followed by various grey & grey-green latex paints:

A few additional blocks were glued the diorama ground piece, allowing the exploding section to fit snugly in:

Not much will be visible of the diorama ground – the explosions will cover the most. But for what’s visible, I first glued in some talus after the grey base coat of latex had dried:

…followed by finer grey gravel and earth-colored Woodland Scenics turf, plus some grass tufts.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:49 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The Deeping Wall and the Hornburg walls have a number of torches on tall poles lighting up the rampart walkways. I decided to add one to the small exploding section, too. I’m using Thomarillion candelabra tops, with the ornate pedestal replaced with straight wire.

The torch got additional details – wire was inserted into a small section of brass tube, the attachment irons were cut from heavy foil, and bolt details were made of styrene using a punch and die.

Here are the figures used for the diorama – mostly GW, but with a couple of Gripping Beast / Wargames Factory Vikings as Rohan warriors. Some separate Wargames Factory arms were used for the Uruks, too.

I built four billowing clouds for the explosion, and tested the painting using various greys, blacks, yellow, orange and red. The white poly fiber was glued onto chicken wire frame.

The “Empire strikes back” coloring on the outside was not very successful (the colors looked faded when lit from the inside), and in any case, the powder smoke in the movie was whitish-grey with yellow-orange color emerging from the inside. I also achieved best-looking results with spraying yellow and orange to the inside of the clouds, and grey on the outside.

This is the first mock-up test of the entire diorama with all the (unpainted) figures in position. The walls have been washed with black ink and drybrushed with various light greys. Bits of additional poly fiber were used to show clouds of smoke and dust emerging from the fissure atop the Deeping Wall as well as from around the flying blocks. I didn’t turn on the flashlights, yet – will take a photo of that later. I probably need to use additional LEDs to light the cloud emerging from the top of the wall.

Here are the figures, the ladder and the torch heading for basecoating:

I’m hoping to be able to splatter some paint to the figures before the diorama challenge deadline at the end of June... I don’t have more than a day and a half left due to travel, so it remains to be seen how complete my painting is when the time is up.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I just don't have words for this project anymore..! I like this piece most already.. the effects and details you put into are truly amazing!

Post subject: Re: Celevue's LotR campaign-behind the scenes(12/6 Deeping W
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:14 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

out-friggin-standing.

There is no more to say, except GET IT FINISHED!

I don't get excited about much, but I really can't wait to see this finished. Truly awesome work.

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:31 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Very nicely done! But I did not expect anything less.It is going to look very much like a exploding black powder cloud. Very well done.

edit :oops:

Last edited by Oldman Willow on Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Fantastic work :yay:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Absolutely stunning work, really captures the moment the bomb erupts!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Holy ess haych eye tee.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 31  Next