All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:58 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Celevue's LotR campaign - behind the scenes (14/2 Amon H
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:49 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Look's Great!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:14 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Looks superb. Cannot wait to see this painted up

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:55 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks for the comments, all!

I haven't posted an update for a couple of days... here's what's been cooking during the weekend:

The Anduin shore piece has received a masking tape dam helped with some silicone to ensure that the Woodland Scenic Realistic water stays where it is intented. I will pour the water tomorrow.

My plan is to have the Anduin shore piece connect to one of the 80x90cm plain terrain tiles, then have a lower slope with the embedded Parth Galen stairs connect that piece to a second 80x90cm tile some 17cm higher, and finally, have an upper slope connect the middle tile to the third, final and highest 80x90 tile, which will then have a summit with the Seeing Seat. Ok, that might not have been the clearest explanation, but I will show the whole thing by the end of the week. Meanwhile, here are some pics of the lower slope under construction. I've glued in bits of styrofoam to mark the ground level near the stairs, as well as the place for the small bridge.

Cardboard strips were then glued with hot glue gun to fill in the contours:

Same thing for the upper slope:

In the last pic, the upper slope cardboard strips have already been covered by a layer of masking tape. The next stage is to add some plaster cloth, then basecoat of paint, followed by scatter material, tree trunks, trees, little bits of ruins etc.

Speaking of ruins, the stair parts, the Seeing Seat, statues etc have received a basecoat of light grey. Individual tiles were picked up with dfferent shades, followed by a black wash.

I'll do some shading with an airbrush for the larger parts soon; some of the smaller ones have already been drybrushed with lighter greys and moss green.

The parts will still get some weathering with powders as well as various scatter materials - after that, they'll be planted into the terrain. But that's work for the coming days.
 Post subject: Re: Celevue's LotR campaign - behind the scenes (18/2 Amon H
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:27 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Very nice base color.
I started to make a shell but my back pain got the best of me. I decided on stacked foam.
The contours look great. I am looking forward to seeing it set out. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

This is going to be something quite special once completed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:31 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

That is looking very promising, I like especially the green touches on some of the ruins! Very realistic!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:34 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Awesome.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:36 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks again, folks!

Progress isn't as good as I'd hoped - I'm fighting a flu while also having quite long working days at my day job. I still have eight days before the model show, so I'm optimistic.

The Anduin shore piece has received first layer of Realistic water. As before, I tried to ensure that the piece was level before pouring.

Alas, as I checked today, it seems that the foam was sagging in the center, possibly due to the weight of the resin. As a result, the ends of the river had very little water left. I'll have to tilt the piece and pour some more to the ends, or see if I can remedy the situation with Water Effects paste.

Work has continued with the lower slope - I've yet to cover the slopes with plaster cloth, but that will be the next step tomorrow.

Apart from the dead leaves and a bit of weathering powder, the stairs and other parts are also finished. I'll add the powder once the pieces are fully inserted in the terrain. I've left the stairs for example removeable so that I can mess with plaster cloth, paint and scatter without fear of mucking up the painted & finished ruins. I'll fix the gap between the contours and the ruins as the last step (or last before the weathering powders, that is). I'm also quite pleased with the way the Thomarillion statue head turned out once it was painted.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:41 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I like the idea of the criss cross sections of card to create the land. I can see this will give the advantage of little indentations and raised areas to create a realistic terrain effect.
The statue head looks good but needs more weathering. Will this be done when you start using pigments ?

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
 Post subject: Re: Celevue's LotR campaign - behind the scenes (20/2 Amon H
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:49 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yes, the head will also get its share of powder pigments once it is attached to a piece of mdf. With pleased I mostly meant the shading achieved with an airbrush.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:52 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It is very smooth the blending you have created with an airbrush. I don't own one though I have thought about one for base coating and maybe varnishing after the painting.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:27 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

You are making good progress. I like where you put the bridge. I have not built one for this table. I also like the detail parts you added to the back high walls.
I think you did a good job with the head. I am looking forward to more photos. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:32 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

What are you edging your boards with, the light blue material you have cut to mirror the terrain.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Looks amazing!
Is the slope meant to be that steep?
Or do my eyes betray me?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:54 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@Delirivm, yes - the slopes are quite steep, but then again, I like dramatically vertical terrain, even though it might not be optimal for gaming. With enough rough scatter material on the ground, figures should be able to stand on the slopes, too.

@Gandlaf, I just paint the blue foam with latex paint, nothing fancier than that.

I've done work on the summit, with three separate pieces. The topmost one will have the Seeing Seat embedded in it. After the usual foam understructure & covering masking tape, I rolled out the plaster cloth and started making a mess...

Underneath this small hill is a larger one in two parts; the bigger one will one day double as the hill / ridge on the northern side of the Pelennor Fields, where the Riders of Rohan launch their charge against the besieging forces (it will receive an extension part effectively doubling its length).

For Amon Hen, though, I wanted the southern (back) side of that hill to be a steep rock face, so I had a separate, narrow piece to represent that.

A combination of foam and cast rocks were used, and these were blended together with a soft-ice like mixture of hydrocal (which did set rather quickly, so I made several small batches). Thick hydrocal mix was also used to blend in the rocks in the summit hill and the larger hill part, as well as on the south side of the Parth Galen stairs in the lower slope part.

After a bit more than three rolls of plaster cloth, all the contoured terrain pieces were covered. Here's a pic of the lower slope:

I also started work on little terrain pieces with ruins; mdf base was painted with basecoat brown, and earth blend fine ground foam was sprinkled on the wet paint. A bit later, the ruins were glued on and more earth blend turf was piled around the ruins to make them better integrate into the ground. Isoprophyl alcohol was dropped into the thick layers of turf to break surface tension, followed by scenic cement. Once dry, I will add bushes and the ubiquitous covering of dead leaves so typical for Amon Hen scenery.

Once the plaster cloth terrain is dry, I'll paint the pieces with basecoat brown, followed by earth blend / yellow grass turf, fallen trees, dead leaves and moss. I also need to do new trees - instead of green foliage, I'll use predominantly a variety of autumnal browns and yellows for Amon Hen. Many trees will be attached directly to the sloped terrain pieces, but there will also be three separate forest pieces. I'm afraid I have little time to add any considerable contours to these, though, so it'll just be trees, dead fall and dead leaves, and room to blace the ruined pieces shown above.

Then follows the addition & blending of the stairs & the Seeing Seat into the terrain. A bit more work with the Anduin shore piece (3rd layer of Realistic Water and some water effects on top; second layer was poured yesterday) the terrain is pretty much done - and I hopefully still have a few days before the model show on March the 1st to finish the figures I'm planning to use... and paint the boats, of course. I'll add some detailing on the boats if time allows.
 Post subject: Re: Celevue's LotR campaign - behind the scenes (22/2 Amon H
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:22 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Sounds like a race against time! This is such a wonderful thread.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:06 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Very nice progress.I like the bricks you chose for the ruined arches. The rock faces on the south of Amon Hen will be dramatic. I also want to comment on the color of the stone. It is very effective. I am looking forward to more Photos.
What are you going to use for leaves?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:15 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

This looks spectacular! Great work :D

The shading and weathering on the stone work is really effective. The problem with the water effect doesn't show from the photo. It looks quite impressive from here. Can't wait to see the finished product.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:04 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Looks good! Makes me excited to see the finished product, as well as to see how well the fellowship fares. Ensuring the survive Moria, that dark road...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:56 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

These should look great once put together. It's been nice to watch the contrast between yourself and Charlie with the differing size boards and each of your techniques. Both are equally great to see come to life.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 31  Next