All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:28 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Celevue's LotR campaign-behind the scenes (15/9 Helm's D
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:49 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I could well go the HA line, but I would alter a few bricks to have that inconsistent look. A few with backs filed away and some set forward in a wall.
Hopefully that would create some authenticity.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
 Post subject: Re: Celevue's LotR campaign-behind the scenes (15/9 Helm's D
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:40 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks again for the praise (@Mothball, that is some heavy praise indeed!). @OMW, I tried using MDF when I made master parts for my Helm’s Deep mold, but that didn’t work out too good. It was very hard to do small details. Perhaps my MDF wasn’t dense enough. As you said, a combination is probably a best deal, and MDF has its use as base, or in some cases, as support structure. For the visible parts, I will mainly stick with Depron and foam, and in some cases, will probably also leave foamcore on top. @Gandlaf, looking forward to seeing your take on HA blocks!

@Sithious, the bricks are scored simply with a black ballpoint pen (although the color doesn’t really matter, given that I will basecoat / spray paint the entire piece black before adding other colors; the seams will be picked with washes and pencil later). And just to clarify, the steel wire drill bit (in fact, I don’t have a real Dremel either) I use for marring the block surface is hand-held:

I have used the GW sculpting tool to make the ramp surface stones look worn.

…and, of course, a sharp hobby knife to do cracks. An interesting next stage begins as I’ve used a hot knife to cut formers for the jutting rock from foam. For transport / storing reasons, I’ve divided the rock into two sections; the tallest part on the right is separate from the rest (which is intersected by the causeway).

I will try, for the first time, Woodland Scenics’ new shaper sheet, to form the actual rock shape. Shaper sheets come in rolls of two different widths; it is basically heavy-duty foil with fiber mesh on the other side.

It can be easily cut to size, crunched and folded to get rock-like creases, and it holds its shape – even without undersupport. The foam risers I made are merely marking the ends of the separate terrain pieces. Once I have shaped the sheets to my liking, I’ll hot-glue them to the foam risers. The fiber mesh is then covered with another WS product meant to be used with shaper sheets: shaper sheet plaster. Three thin layers of plaster on top of shaper sheet creates durable hard shell. I will probably add some cast rocks, too, but let’s see how the overall shape turns out first.

I also got a large order from a supplier in Italy, Mirliton, with several of their metal horses:

There is a pair of various galloping, trotting, walking and rampant heavy and light horses; these I will give to Rohan commanders and heroes to make them stand out more. In the top right hand corner you can also see a group of standing and grazing horses – these will populate the Hornburg stables. There are also two dead horses to be used as casualty markers or in a diorama. Finally, at the back, there are two covered horses – these will be used by the Witch King. I realized that I don’t have a horse-mounted crowned Witch King figure, but do have extra rider Witch Kings that came with the plastic Nazgûl & fell beast kits, so all I needed was a suitably evil-looking horse. These will fit the bill perfectly! A GW plastic horse is included for size reference – the Mirliton horses are perfectly in line size-wise.

The Mirliton order also contained several medieval civilians, mostly children. The pic has a rather tall kid defiantly looking at a Uruk sapper, shown for size comparison. When I do the Helm’s Deep full diorama for the local model show, I intend to have plenty of civilians in the Glittering Caves underneath Hornburg.

Finally, the Mirliton order also had a number of their lit torches, perfectly suited for the Great Hall and other parts of Hornburg. The photo shows the slim Mirliton torches, and below it, Thomarillion candelabra (the tops of which, attached to a longer poles, will be used along the Deeping Wall and elsewhere on the Helm’s Deep ramparts) and a Thomarillion torch. What the Mirliton page failed to mention is how many torches are included in a pack – there were, in fact, ten. To be on the safe side, I ordered eight packs, so I may end up having quite a number as spares!

Post subject: Re: Celevue's LotR campaign-behind the scenes (21/9 Helm's D
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:55 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I love that you're also having civilians. How will they impact upon the scenario?
 Post subject: Re: Celevue's LotR campaign-behind the scenes (21/9 Helm's D
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:15 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@Sticky, we haven’t considered how the civilians would affect the scenario… quite likely not at all, but we’ll see when we get there. They are primarily meant for display when I finally get the Helm’s Deep mega-diorama ready for the local model show (won’t be next year, though – that much seems clear).

A quick update on Shaper Sheet – I love that stuff already! I’ve spent about 20 minutes cutting and shaping two pieces around the ramp, and even without plaster on top, they look quite good to my eyes. The larger piece has been hot-glued to the foam riser to ease shaping. Since the rock is actually extending a bit over the causeway, I will glue the ramp in place before attaching the shaper sheet bits.

Post subject: Re: Celevue's LotR campaign-behind the scenes (22/9 Helm's D
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Curious to see how they turn out when painted. They look very promising. Light weight I presume?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:01 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Looks like it is simple to control. I am looking forward to more photos.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:18 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Good heads up on those civilian figures - thanks for that. That paper looks interesting too...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:56 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@Gene, extremely light-weight. The plaster on top will obviously add weight, but still, very light.

A couple of photos of the progress with the mountain hugging the causeway – done by crunching more shaper sheet and gluing it in place with hot glue.

The lower parts will get additional bits of shaper sheet to help blend the rock better with the even terrain below. The causeway had a slight twist on it, which, in turn, twisted the entire terrain piece and forced the two mountain sections slightly apart from one another. I will correct this by gluing additional strip of shaper sheet to the separate mountain terrain to form a kind of a lip bridging the gap.

I’ve also been working on the new Mirliton horses, adding saddle sections from green stuff, at least for those parts that show underneath the riders. Captains and heroes get these different-looking horses.

Post subject: Re: Celevue's LotR campaign-behind the scenes (27/9 Helm's D
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:15 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I am going to give the shaper sheet a try the next time I use a shell. It looks much neater than plaster bandage.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:16 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I just visited the local model railroad / hobby store here in Tampere, Finland - they had just received their first shipment of shaper sheet. Bought one large and two smaller rolls. They also had shaper sheet plaster, and carving plaster, which I didn't have before. I'll give the mountains some plaster covering next week, if time allows, followed by pigment coloring.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:22 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

" followed by pigment coloring."
I really like the pigment coloring for some applications.I needs a binder. The matt medium is recommended.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:12 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

A little detour to Rivendell posted in the Green_Dragon's thread within the terrain help section:

http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=378699#p378699
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Rivendell has distracted you from helms deep.
*adds to list:reasons why I hate elves*

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:09 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I needed more then an hour to read it all. It is amazing what you're doing and is an inspiration for me. :D

Rock on :yay:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:26 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

No updates for a while Celevue, hope all is good with you?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

wow. i havnt been checking one-ring much recently but you my friend are a legend at what you do! I was straight to this thread to see what you've been upto! Hope all is well :)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:28 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Much apologizing - my other hobby, astronomy, demanded my attention after a three year hiatus as I was pulled back to our local astronomy club in a big way.

I am still building Lothlórien sections, and should post pics of my progress soon. I have not made any progress with Helm's Deep, however, as my top priority is to get the "second season" of the game campaign done by mid-January or so - and this requires a couple of terrains just for atmospheric photos (the aforementioed Lothlórien and also Argonath). My friend has also been busy with her studying, and we haven't been able to match our busy schedules to play Bridge of Khazad-dûm just yet. I'm still determined to do that before the Christmas holidays, followed By Amon Hen shortly after the change of year. Then it's 100% Helm's Deep and other Rohan terrain pieces until they are done!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:41 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Great to hear from you and that all is well. Look forward to the next update.

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:29 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

As I said, I’ve been deeply involved with the local astronomy club activities, and have been forced to take a leave from the Middle-Earth. I’m hoping to find a good balance of continuing with both, but it seems that my almost complete absence from the astronomy hobby scene is now over, and I will devote some time for Remmirath, Menelvagor, Valacirca and other heavenly objects – in addition to forging ahead with our Lord of the Ring campaign (and associated terrain making & model painting).

Now, then, a couple of behind the scene shots of making Lothlórien terrain – this isn’t needed for gaming just yet, of course, but I wanted to end the Moria scenarios with a shot of the remaining Fellowship reaching a safe haven. I started with three bags of large deciduous tree armatures from Woodland Scenics, bent to shape and painted with Tamiya grey spray paints. This was followed by a wash with diluted black ink from Army Painter…

…and a drybrushing of GW Longbeard Grey.

I cut several odd-shaped pieces of MDF and beveled the edges. The trees were glued onto the MDF, along with bits of Styrofoam and plaster rocks.

Larger pieces of Styrofoam were covered with putty, and the tree bases were also hidden with the same stuff.

Now the next bit is to paint the exposed rocks and rock faces, paint the forest floors, put in several layers of scatter material, and add foliage to the trees. Stay tuned!
 Post subject: Re: Celevue's LotR campaign-behind the scenes (7/12 Lothlori
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If the quality of the individual components wasn't impressive enough, there is always the scale. Just marvellous, in the truest sense of the word.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next