All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:03 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Fëanor's WIP Thread (updated August 14)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:53 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Fantastically creative conversions you've got going there. Really like what you have done with the men of Gondor.

Post subject: Re: Fëanor's WIP Thread (updated August 14)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:38 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

LordElrond wrote:
Your kneeling guy is insanely cool. Looks just like he's bracing against a cav charge of something. I wish GW had done more sculpts like that.

Thanks mate! That's exactly the idea, bracing for impact. I guess it sort of makes sense GW didn't make so many in such a low pose, as this seriously impacts gaming. Things like LoS and jumping all depend on what the model looks like, and having a model that is half the height of another warrior with the same profile, could be taken advantage of.
But I agree, aesthetically, it's very nice to have some of these models. :)

edge67 wrote:
Fantastically creative conversions you've got going there. Really like what you have done with the men of Gondor.

Thanks! :) I just finished an old King of Gondor (probably a Sea King). It's converted from Denethor and has Isildur's head. By far the simplest conversion that I've done in a long time, but it works well! Aragorn at Helm's Deep is also painted now..
Photo's will probably appear this weekend.
 Post subject: Re: Fëanor's WIP Thread (updated December 20)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:42 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi everyone! It's been a while since I posted an update here again, but I've done some work in the mean time. Actually, I did post another update on Der Skirmisher blog, but I forgot to post it here. Anyway, here we go!

First off is my Finding Frodo Diorama, part of my planned (hypothesized) "Sam's Heroism" series. Pretty happy with how it turned out! I'm also glad to finally finish this little project.

More shots can be found here: https://hdrskirmisher.wordpress.com/201 ... -finished/

Second is a Sea King of Gondor. It was converted from a Denethor model, given Isildur's head and I sculpted the hair and beard, and the base. One of the easiest conversions I've done in a long time, but I'm very happy with the palette and how it turned out!
Again, more photos in the link above.

Boromir at Amon Hen was also finally finished! When painting him, I noticed that I made a mistake. The left short sleeve of his upper layer of cloth is not re-sculpted.. Furthermore, his upper tunic turned out a little more blue than wanted. Overall I'm still happy with the result, the next one will be better!

(Again, more pictures in the link above).

I started working on this sculpt about, maybe, a year ago, but it's now completely finished. It's a Wood Elf casualty, sculpted from scratch! I chose to lay him down on his face to make it easier for myself (so that I didn't have to sculpt the face), but I'm still glad with how it turned out.

I also did a simple conversion for a Prince of Gondor a long time ago, which was finished recently. Not really happy with how the face turned out, I may want to redo that. Otherwise glad with the colours and overall appearance. He can be the Sea King's son, or a young King himself.

One of my biggest conversion in 'recent' times (as in, in the last 2 years) was Aragorn at Helm's Deep. I wanted to represent him as the is described in the book. There he is said to be given a chain mail and shield with white, green and red gems (and helmet, but I didn't find a good one and wanted him to remain recognizable).

So, now he's finally finished! I'm very glad with how he turned out. :)

More photos of the Prince and Aragorn can be found here:
https://hdrskirmisher.wordpress.com/201 ... s-and-men/

And lastly, I also made a scenic foreground, so that I could take nice cinematic photos. I've worked on a project called 'Cleansing the Mountains', which will be a campaign fan supplement, where players recreate a part of the War of the Orcs and the Dwarves. This photo is taken with this in mind and for that supplement.
More cinematic photos can be found here: https://hdrskirmisher.wordpress.com/201 ... ic-photos/

Comments & criticism is always welcome.
 Post subject: Re: Fëanor's WIP Thread (updated December 20)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:05 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Rather liking that Sea King figure, reminds me of some Balon Greyjoy-esque character: which, I suppose, is close to what he represents. No room for glamour, just old-fashioned harsh practicality. Hmm.. perhaps a good setting for the next scenario...
 Post subject: Re: Fëanor's WIP Thread (large updated 23 October)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hey everyone!

It's been really long since I posted here, so I thought I'd change that with a little update! I've worked quite a lot on different projects recently.

First of all, here's Gimli! This is to represent in the Glittering Caves, after he got a shield from Theoden. Pretty simple conversion (sculpted the shield, repaired the cloack etc), but pretty happy with how he turned out.

Also converted some Orcs

More pictures of Gimli and more Orcs can be found here: https://hdrskirmisher.wordpress.com/201 ... ing-caves/

I've also started making a 2×2 feet Forest board. I've always wanted a real forest board, with realistic sized trees, detailed undergrowth. Something better than the tiny railroad pine trees on bases and on plain grass fields.

Recently, I stumbled upon an old jar of white paint, and reckoned I could use it to model the tree barks with! After a small test tree, I went on to create the board. Here are some pictures of various stages.

More pictures here: https://hdrskirmisher.wordpress.com/201 ... ondorians/

For the forest floor, I made a mix of different types of flock, real peat, wood glue, brown paint and water. The was applied to the entire base, leaving the tree roots clear.

Within a month, I should be able to continue working on this board and be able to finish it! Painting the trees will be very easy, because applying some washes will do the trick, and the floor can just be drybrushed.

I recently got half a box of Gripping Beast Darg Age Warriors from a friend. I'm really loving the set so far, with all it's versatility! One of the projects I envision is making a proper Shield Wall unit. This will be a Rohan Militia Shield Wall, for which I will make some house rules. The idea is that 4 to 8 of the same type can join together into a Shield Wall, based on a smaller base (this base is 3 by 1 inch). The Shield Wall will have a defence and Combat bonus to the front, and will profit from having 4 Attacks on 3 inches.

Here's a quick test!

Another group I started from these Dark Age Warriors, are these generic Workers. Mostly used the Dark Age Warriors as a base, but the mauls and shovels are also from GB. The head on the right is from a Warlord Games Celts set, and so is the body of third one. The right one will be converted to be digging. Quite happy with how these are turning out!

They will be used as generic Workers, mostly for scenarios in Gondor, Rohan, Arnor or anywhere with Good Men really.

They also needed an Overseer, of course. The body and arms are from a Wargames Factory Viking, the head from the GB Dark Age Warriors, the right hand is from a Corsair Bo'sun, the sword in the sheath is from a Fireforge Templar, and the chain mail, belt and pouch are sculpted by myself. I really like how all these different elements go together pretty well!

Next up is one very unlucky Orc! I've been working on some casualties recently (mostly for a Pelennor Fields board I want to make at some point). Converted from a Warg Rider, and repaired here and there.

Next up is Dervorin and some Men of the Ringló Vale! The only thing we know from him is that he led 300 men on foot to the defense of Minas Tirith. With so little to go by, I looked at the only other thing we knew. Ring means cold, and therefore I went for a cold palet. I chose the emblem to be a some waves, as a reference to the river Ringló.

These are mainly Fireforge Templars. Dervorin has a WG Celt head and a Wargames Factory Viking horn though, along with some details sculpted (horn belt, top part of cloak). Here's Dervorin:

(More pictures: https://hdrskirmisher.wordpress.com/201 ... ondorians/ )

His personal emblem is a deer swimming in the river. This is also the deer that provided him with the horn he's carrying, in my imagination. The Tree of Gondor is there, because I envision all lords to carry the Tree of Gondor (it's called the Tree of Gondor and not the Tree of Minas Tirith for a reason, I figured). Very happy with how he turned out!

And here are some 4 Men of Ringló Vale:

Also made from Templars, with sheaths from -I think- Warlord Games Hoplites and sculpted belt.

Up next are some Clansmen of Lamedon, converted a little bit (hair, converted plate armour to cloth), and painted differently.

These men will represent an honor guard for a Gondorian King, consisting of old Lords of Gondor. Mostly a ceremonial role, these will not fight very often, unless really needed!

Furthemore, some Rangers of Ithilien! Not much to add here, other than that it's pretty rare for me to paint up some models without converting them! These are just great and true to my vision based on the books as they are, though.

Now, in my everlasting quest to make more minis as close to my vision based on the books as possible, I've also continued working on a command group for my Gondorians. Finally, Boromir, Faramir and a Captain are finished! All converted to some degree, making sure the plat is a surcoat over chain mail.

Also 12 Spearmen were finished! Converted as described in earlier blog posts.

Again, more pictures here: https://hdrskirmisher.wordpress.com/201 ... ondorians/

And finally, the Gondorian Army of Osgiliath so far:

Or alternatively, the Army of a Sea King of Gondor:

Hope you all enjoyed the update!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

That is very, very, very inspiring!

You should be really proud of your awesome armies!
Thanks for showing all this. This is some really good stuff! :)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The trees sure look promising, and the workforce is coming along nicely too. Just wondering if half a box of Dark Age figures will be sufficient for all the different plans...
Those Gondorians together are also a glorious sight, a very neat (and slowly becoming a decently sized) force.
 Post subject: Re: Fëanor's WIP Thread (large update 23 October)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Excellent stuff here! 8) really like the different perspective on the warriors of Minas Tirith.

Current Project: Ringwraiths - Haradrim - Mumakil
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:48 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Some fantastic work and background to these miniatures.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:32 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sephalo wrote:
That is very, very, very inspiring!

You should be really proud of your awesome armies!
Thanks for showing all this. This is some really good stuff! :)

Thanks for the reply, glad to be of some inspiration! :)

Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
The trees sure look promising, and the workforce is coming along nicely too. Just wondering if half a box of Dark Age figures will be sufficient for all the different plans...
Those Gondorians together are also a glorious sight, a very neat (and slowly becoming a decently sized) force.

Thanks! Haha, no, the half box will not be enough for everything I want to do.
Actually, Boromir's Army is some 560 points already as it is shown here. :) Fine starting point!

Wah Wing wrote:
Excellent stuff here! 8) really like the different perspective on the warriors of Minas Tirith.

Thanks Wah Wing!

Crucium Giger wrote:
Some fantastic work and background to these miniatures.

Thanks Crucium! What I like most about LotR is the rich story, and this is what I want to capture in the battles and in my armies.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:25 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Some really nice work here! I think the Boromir at Amon Hen is my favorite so far, I think you nailed the color scheme.

-PoW

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:44 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

PowerofWill wrote:
Some really nice work here! I think the Boromir at Amon Hen is my favorite so far, I think you nailed the color scheme.

-PoW

Thanks PowerofWill! Appreciate it.
To echo Faramir: "the praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards"! :)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Loving the Amon Hen Boromir and the easy and clean Sea King of Gondor conversion! :-D
I like your dark Gondor colour scheme as well. I read the books after the movies were released so I never pictured the characters to be different than the movies (although some descriptions didn't match XD)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7