All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:32 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fëanor's WIP Thread (updated July 31)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

@Gandlaf the Grey: Thanks mate!
Yeah, the elven brooch is big compared to the brooch on Aragorn, for instance. It was quite a struggle to get it already this size, however. ;)

@Sithious: Thanks! Haha, yeah they most certainly are here!

@Coenus Scaldingus: yeah, who would have thought of that right?
Thanks! The Goblins were still WIP when the picture was taken, but they are done now. I do indeed plan to make more.. Ideally, I want two small armies (Dwarves and Goblins) available for my mines, all based on the thin Renedra bases and true-the-books (read: without plate).

@Dr Grant: cheers! I quite like the pose too. It's a pretty easy conversion actually.

@Feanorthenoldor: the return of the Fëanors!

@Son of Fundin: thanks mate! Yes, I have a bigger one, check your Skype. ;)

@Rognarr: thanks a lot!

Up next: photos of my finished Goblins and WIP shots of a new (huge) terrain piece..!
 Post subject: Re: Fëanor's WIP Thread (updated September 14)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hey guys! Back once again, with an update of some of the progress I made over summer break.

More (and bigger) pictures can again be found on my Blog on Der Skirmisher website:
http://hdrskirmisher.wordpress.com/cate ... steltisch/

First of all, I finished painting my Goblin conversions.

Furthermore, I continued working on the kneeling WoMT conversion.

I also started a new little project: true-to-the-books Haradrim! Overlapping plates and helmets are mentioned in the books. While we don't know what kind of overlapping plates, I went for scale mail.

Furthemore, a bit bigger project: a mountain-hill side with a forest on top. The tree trunks will be sculpted with Miliput and will fit trees in. I won't glue the trees, so that they can be removed if a model want to move through the trees.

More pictures of the projects can be found here:
http://hdrskirmisher.wordpress.com/2014 ... -projects/

And lastly, my article was featured in the fifth issue of Der Skirmisher! It's on making Campaign Maps and can be found here:
https://hdrskirmisher.files.wordpress.c ... ust-14.pdf

An English version will soon be posted on Der Skirmisher website and I can submit it to the One Ring as well. :)
A showcase of the Campaign maps of Harad and Gondor can be found here:
http://hdrskirmisher.wordpress.com/2014 ... aign-maps/

That's it again for now!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:54 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Welcome back, some nice work here but my favourite has to be the kneeling WoMT

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:44 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The haradrim look cool, scale mail was a good choice and you sculpted it really well :yay:
The kneeling womt is looking good too, I can't wait to see it finished.

-PoW

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

@ Gandalf the Grey: thanks mate! I really like how he's coming along as well. He's also my favorite of the update. ;) He's also taken very long already too, though. The skirt has taken some 6 goes, because I don't want to touch pieces I'm glad with.

@ PowerofWill: Thanks a lot! :)

I've just started working on another small project, as I had some excess Miliput: sculpting settlements on 25mm bases for the campaign map from scratch! This will be a very interesting challenge, on such a ridiculously small scale.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Excellent sculpting

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dr Skirmisher must be a great way to keep motivated to press on. All the projects look great. The kneeling MT warrior is pretty cool. The scales mail is well sculpted, Hard to picture them with Helmets and Armor, Will be cool to see them painted up when the time comes.

Post subject: Re: Fëanor's WIP Thread (updated May 06)
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:37 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Wow, it's been over half a year that I updated this WIP thread.. Ridiculous!
I must say I haven't had much time to work on the hobby a whole lot, but I have done a couple of things! So, here we go..!

A small diorama I've been working on lately. I want to do a series of dioramas of Sam's heroism in Mordor, and this will be the first of them.
I've used webbed Frodo (from the Clutches of Shelob boxed set) and cooking Sam (from the Captured by Gondor boxed set). Sam's pot and fire were removed, and Frodo's webbed head was removed (because in the book, he was said to be webbed from ankles to shoulders) and replaced by another Frodo head. Sam's thumb has today been sculpted, and now I only need to finish Sting's grip. Shouldn't take too long..

While we're on the subject of webbed people..
A webbed Elf, Orc or Man! It's sculpted from a base of Miliput, and (once dried) a layer of ProCreate was put on top and threads were made with a sculpting tool. Will be a cool little objective marker of some sort.

More Elves! This time actually visible:

This is a Red Box Games Elf (http://red-box-games.com/index.php?main ... ucts_id=66). Beautiful sculpt, and very detailed, but a joy to paint! The base was sculpted with Miliput. He will represent some high Elven Lord. I'm quite happy with how he turned out, except for the light blue back thingy. Not too sure about that. I'm also unsure if I should give him eyes (they're tiny). Other than that quite happy, especially with the muted colours.

More Red Box Games miniatures! This time it's Fenris (http://red-box-games.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=180)! Another beautiful sculpt, and much easier to paint this one.

This Black Wolf might be used as some kind of Warg Chieftain. Menacing model!

And finally, some classic metal Dwarves!
WIP:

Finished:

Two of the four were slightly converted (scale mail removed, chain mail added). I wrote an article for last month's Der Skirmisher were I describe how the conversion is done (https://hdrskirmisher.files.wordpress.c ... l-2015.pdf). I'm very glad with how these turned out, and I'm looking forward to converting and painting more of these gorgeous models! I wouldn't mind having a small 30-strong army of them..
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Really like those tunics on the dwarves man.

Great little models those!
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:40 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Welcome back stranger. Some nice work, the Red Box elf is lovely, could be Gil Galad

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Really liking this stuff from you. The first mini diorama looks great so far, and that's a great idea for a diorama series! I also really like the webbed elf objective marker, a creative way to use up spare putty from sculpting projects.

For the elf, I quite like the back blue thing. A few constructive comments though, if I may. I find his face is the focal point, that is where my eyes are being drawn, and thus either doing eyes, or a little bit of shading to simulate eyes would make it better. Also, it might just be the photo, but his hair looks very flat. Speaking of which, the silver spear tip looks a little flat as well, maybe toss on a wash or a few glazes? And finally, I know gems are hard, but I feel that the main one could do with some more highlighting towards the bottom. I find gems look best if you highlight from basically black all the way through the colour and almost to white on the bottom, and then add your white reflection dot in the middle of the black. Right now I'm just not quite getting the "see-through" (translucent) vibe from it.

Just some thoughts to bring it up to another level. It looks great as is, but thought I'd mention what I saw could be improved. 8)

*edit* DMS does a good job of what I am trying to say about the gems. Take a look at his Easterlings here: http://www.shadowandflame.co.uk/#!Easterlings-Batch-1/c1rzd/554b43320cf21fee137262aa

it looks better from a distance than the extreme close up of the shield guy, but in that close up you can see how he highlighted up to almost white at the bottom.
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:55 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Really liking the dark grey-blue tone you've achieved on the Elf's robes, looks terrific. They certainly are delicate figures, which may be why I've delayed painting mine for some time now...
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:59 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

OOOOOhh i need some of those wolves!!

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:58 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Beautiful work here. I like the darker palette that you use. Do you have a scale shot for Fenris? I've been considering ordering him to use for the White Warg.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:39 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Oropher wrote:
Really like those tunics on the dwarves man.

Great little models those!

Thanks! Lovely models indeed, and a joy to paint. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.

Gandlaf the Grey wrote:
Welcome back stranger. Some nice work, the Red Box elf is lovely, could be Gil Galad

Thanks Gandalf the Grey! Yeah, he could definitely be Gil-Galad! I could also see him as some First Age Noldor. Great mini!

theavenger001 wrote:
Just some thoughts to bring it up to another level. It looks great as is, but thought I'd mention what I saw could be improved. 8)

Thanks a lot for the thorough feedback, it's much appreciated!
You're absolutely right about the face. I should just go and make it better, and not make it too easy for myself. :P
The hair and spear might be a little less flat in real life, but maybe they could use another highlight, I'll look at it.
As for the gems, thanks for the link! :) Good tips all. The gems look somewhat different in real life, mostly because I added a tiny bit of water effects to them. So in real life, they are actually really glimmering. But maybe I can try and re-do them!

Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
Really liking the dark grey-blue tone you've achieved on the Elf's robes, looks terrific. They certainly are delicate figures, which may be why I've delayed painting mine for some time now...

Thanks buddy! I can see why you're somewhat hesitant to paint them just yet, but they are not as bad as they seem!

Dead Marsh Spectre wrote:
OOOOOhh i need some of those wolves!!

Yeah, it's a beautiful wolf and could be used as a Warg very well! One of the best I've seen actually.

Erunion wrote:
Beautiful work here. I like the darker palette that you use. Do you have a scale shot for Fenris? I've been considering ordering him to use for the White Warg.

Thanks! I don't have a scale shot at the moment, but it's based on a (Renedra) 40mm base if that helps. I'm sorry, but I cannot take a scale shot at the moment, because it's at my parents (who live half a country away).
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:44 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Knowing the base size helps me see how big the mini actually is. Thanks for the info!

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
 Post subject: Re: Fëanor's WIP Thread (updated May 31)
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:16 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Another small update, this time after a shorter time than the previous one.

First off, nothing big, but a rebased old model: Cirion:
The model was painted probably some 6 years ago, but I'm still fond of the colour scheme and the paint was not too bad. Now rebased on those nice thin Renedra bases, to lead some troops in Osgiliath! I won't use him as (GW's) Cirion, but rather as some random Gondorian noble. I feel the colour scheme looks fitting enough!

Now, the troops he will be leading, will be these:
Converted WoMT to be closer to the books (no plate, but mail and surcoats). I have already finished some 10 with sword, and now some 10 spearmen are converted and ready to be painted! Next up: 12 archers!

Another project I wanted to do for years, was get an entire Fellowship for every fight they get into (so, one for Hollin, Moria, Amon Hen, Helm's Deep, etc). This Aragorn is converted to represent him as described when fighting at Helm's Deep:
Looking forward to painting him!

And lastly, a painted different conversion. I made this a while ago from an Uruk-hai Scout and converted him into a Haradrim Chieftain or Haradrim Champion.
In the books, the Haradrim are described as having armour of layered plates. The Uruk-hai Scouts struct me as having plausible armour, and so he was converted for this purpose. Quite like how he turned out (though he still screams Uruk a bit to me), so I might go and convert more of them, as an elite band or so!
The dagger on his back was kindly donated by the above Aragorn, by the way.

Up next: converting more Goblins, Dwarves, WoMT and perhaps Orcs, all with one thing in common: chain mail! I'm also working on a sculpt from scratch, a Wood Elf casualty!
 Post subject: Re: Fëanor's WIP Thread (updated May 31)
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:49 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Excellent Aragorn. He looks far more fitting to Helms Deep than any other version I've seen.

Post subject: Re: Fëanor's WIP Thread (updated August 14)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:07 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks Gandalf! :)

I've done (relatively) a lot of work on the hobby lately. I don't have pictures yet of everything, but part of it is pictured already. So, here we go!

First off, the Finding Frodo diorama is finished, but the final stage is not photographed yet. Here are some WIP photos:

Furthermore, the work on the Osgiliath army continues! I've now finished converting 12 spearmen, Boromir, Faramir, a Captain and (not especially for this army) a generic Prince of Gondor.

The kneeling warrior is also finally finished. Took a while, but I'm very happy with how he turned out!

A Prince of Gondor

I also converted a generic King of Gondor from Denethor (gave him Isildur's head and sculpted a beard and nice base).
Pictures will follow later!

Captain and Faramir:

Finally, I've done some Orc conversions to make these more true to the book as well (no plate, more chain mail etc). Finished converting 12 of these now!

More photos can be found on Der Skirmisher blog:
https://hdrskirmisher.wordpress.com/201 ... d-dwarves/

Comments & criticism is always welcome!
 Post subject: Re: Fëanor's WIP Thread (updated August 14)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Your kneeling guy is insanely cool. Looks just like he's bracing against a cav charge of something. I wish GW had done more sculpts like that.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next