All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:08 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dwarves & Goblins WIP Eaothen
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wowsers!
those shields are cool 8)
how did you make them?
if you used a mold, how did you make it?
Its not freehand greenstuffing is it ?!?!?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

As Gothmog mentioned, they are from the Mines of Moria starterbox, oh well, the skeleton is, the shields are from the King's Champion's heralds and the other one is from a vault warden team, I also molded the pike from them.

How I made them? Well, very easy.

here's what you'll need:
-Greenstuff
-Milliput
-LEGO blocks
-oil (like for cooking or such)
-shields, weapons, anything you want to get molds of

Here we go:
Take a flat LEGO piece, the ones you build things on not the real bricks. If you got a nice piece, which isn't to small, you'll have to make sure your shields etc will be able to fit. Now, put the LEGO bricks on the flat piece, the best ones to use are the rectangular ones (those with just one dot on them, if you know what I mean) make a square with them on the flat piece. Once you've done this, oil the whole thingy, I used baking oil from our kitchen. Just take a brush and oil the inside of the square, (don't forget the sides!!). Next thing to do: get some milliput, mix it together and push it in the square thingy.
Take the pieces you want to make molds of now, for example a shield. push one side of the shield in the milliput and let it dry now (make sure you oil the shield before putting it in the milliput or it won't come out anymore). Once the milliput has dried, take out the shield and you'll see you've got a nice shape in the milliput. Now, if you want both side of the shield, just put the shield back in the milliput once it has dried. Now put some milliput on the other side of the shield too, so the shield will get trapped between two pieces of milliput (again, oil it).
Again, if it's dry, take out the shield and you'll see you've got a nice shape in the milliput. Thanks to the LEGO bricks, the milliput won't spread out if you're pushing the shield in the milliput.

now, the real thing, and also the most difficult one, making the doubles.

Once the milliput has dried, get some greenstuff, again, mix it together and such.. now, when the milliput is still between the LEGO bricks, oil it again, and push the greenstuff inside the shape of the shield. Make sure it's not to thick, otherwise the shield might look quite thick compared to the real ones. So don't take to much greenstuff, push it gently in the shape and let it dry. ofcourse if you made both sides of the shield, you can take some more greenstuff, otherwise it won't fit in the shapes and you'll get only half a shield on one side, you'll have to experiment with this a little.
After the greenstuff dried, gently pull out the greenstuff and you'll get a nice shaped shield! :D
Wash of the oil first and then cut of the remaining greenstuff which is still attached to the greenstuffed shield.

I hope you guys know what I mean 'cause it's pretty hard to explain without any pictures, perhaps I'll make a tutorial one of these days if I'm feeling a little beter.

But anyways, there's your answer on how I made the molds! Just make sure not to use to much milliput or greenstuff, sometimes you need to throw it away or something, and this way it'll get even more expensive than to but the real plastic/metal pieces :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:50 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Why don't you buy some instantmold to make it simpler (and a bit cheaper)?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Here are some more pictures of my Khazad guard, this time individually! oh well,.. 2 at a picture :P
ImageImageImage

Also, here are some conversions I did:
A finecast banner bearer and a warrior with torch (stolen from an Uruk-Hai berserker)
ImageImage

and my nearly finished dwarf hornblower (really like this model!):
ImageImage

Also this picture of the other two metal dwarf warriors for Wah Wing (for the metal archers look at my previous posts :wink: )

and finally a little sneak peek on what I'm planning to work on :twisted: for those of you who ever played the the third age video game, you might remember that at one point you had to defeat this big, giant old warg who was hiding in a cave, here's a video that shows you (start at about 7 minutes)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NawwW8Pkwx0

and also found a picture of him:

who wants to see pictures of my work on him so far? :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
Why don't you buy some instantmold to make it simpler (and a bit cheaper)?

I didn't know that existed, thanks! I might give it a try some day!
I just used GS and milliput 'cause I wanted to sculpt some things, but then I got the idea for making molds and gave it a try, I'm new to all these sculpting things, so I'm still experimenting :)

Got any more tips for me maybe? Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hmmm....
does it have to be milliput?
I dont have any of that =/
whats instant mold?
also which is cheaper?

sorry about all the questions
i'm quite new to moddeling

:gimli:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

SidTheSloth wrote:
Hmmm....
does it have to be milliput?
I dont have any of that =/
whats instant mold?
also which is cheaper?

sorry about all the questions
i'm quite new to moddeling

I don't know about that, I'm new to these products aswell :oops: I got all my things from eBay, 36 inch GS for only 10 euro's, I thought that was cheap, so..
I don't know what instant mold is, I guess it's specially for making molds, not for sculpting anything, but I don't know about that, hopefully someone else can tell us, 'cause I'm curious about it too! I could search it on the net, but I'd rather hear from someone who's got any experience with it, so let's just wait :)
ps: don't worry about asking questions, we all had to start with the hobby one day! And this site is great for solving problems and answering questions! If you got more questions, feel free to ask!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:05 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Instant mold is more expensive if you only want ity once I think, but instant mold is also reusable, so you don't really need to buy more than one pack, though be aware that it doesn't work well for whole minis. You still need Green Stuff of course, as Instant mold will only make the molds, it is reshapable with hot water. I believe there is a 'How to use Instant mold' video on amazon, but I didn't watch it, I just followed the instructions at the back. I made several Goblin and AotD shields.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
Instant mold is more expensive if you only want ity once I think, but instant mold is also reusable, so you don't really need to buy more than one pack, though be aware that it doesn't work well for whole minis. You still need Green Stuff of course, as Instant mold will only make the molds, it is reshapable with hot water. I believe there is a 'How to use Instant mold' video on amazon, but I didn't watch it, I just followed the instructions at the back. I made several Goblin and AotD shields.

Alright thanks! I'll have a look at the video! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wow that stuff looks awsome
I'm seriously trempted to get some despite having hardly any cash

heres another link for a video:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/instant-mold.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:04 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I can vouch for instant-mold, I've got two packets of it (one just isn't enough!)

It's really useful for shield molds, a little trickier for 28mm weapons but doable. You can also make casts of larger figures such as shelob, fellbeast, balrogs and trolls etc. Look in the current monthly painting competition thread to see the troll cast lying face down in the mud. It's also brilliant for casting extra pieces of terrain. And as has been mentioned is reusuable so one pack should suffice. I only bought two to carry out some extensive terrain molding (walls of minas tirith model). ATB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:11 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks alot! I'll give it a try some day, it looks very usefull 8)

Also, here are some picture of the giant warg I was talking about, now I should think of some houserules.. if someone got any ideas, please tell me!
ImageImageImageImage

That's it for today, I'm off to hospital now, let's hope they've got some good news for me this time :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:15 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

take care buddy
(also - original base from the warg or did u buy one?)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:21 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

garmenhord wrote:
take care buddy
(also - original base from the warg or did u buy one?)

Thanks, I'm back from the hospital now, things are getting better 8)
And the base is a spare oval base, it's the one that comes with the dragon/cave drake. I just glued some spare bits on the base to make it more original :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

great work on the dwarven stuff and the moulds will come in handy since you can reproduce as many as you need. Looks like a bad ass warg you got there :shock:

Drum 8)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:58 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I am glad you check up went well :!:
Rule for the great wolf :idea: why not add a howdah and use the rules for the great beast :!:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:22 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

nice warg 8)
how did you make it?

special rules...
what about:
Beast
this model uses all the rules for monsterous mounts (Knock to ground and extra attack)

Pounce
When this model charges, it can either attack as usual or it can use just 1 attack. If it choses 1 attack then, if it wins, it deals out 2 strenth 9 hits.

what do you think?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:24 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Oldman Willow wrote:
Rule for the great wolf :idea: why not add a howdah and use the rules for the great beast :!:

I don't own the rules of the great beast I'm afraid.. :( what rulebook is he in? The moria/Angmar one or Mordor? It'd be silly to spend €20 on the Mordor book just for his profile since I don't play Mordor :P I'm going to buy the Moria one for my goblins though. Also, I like the idea of a howdah, it might look good, but I'm gonna stick with how he looks right now, I want him to look like the warg from the game, so I could make a scenario with him or something, like, a group of rangers that has to hunt him down for example. :)

SidTheSloth wrote:
nice warg 8)
how did you make it?

I did not make it, I bought it :-D
There used to be an action figure range from LotR some years ago, I bought some stuff myself back then, that's why I remember them. On the back of the boxes there always was a little gallery of other figures, and there was this Sharku on warg I really liked. So, when I wanted to create this giant warg, I thought of him, I searched him on eBay, and I found him! It costed me €15, which wasn't to expensive IMO. Here's a picture of the figure:
Sharku is attached to the warg, so I had to cut him off, that's why there's still a piece of his saddle on his back. I'm gonna cut away all those remaining pieces and try to sculpt the fur back on with some greenstuff. Also, I've put the Sharku model in dettol, I want to see if I could strip the figure, if it works, I'll put the warg in dettol too, so I could re-paint him. :)
SidTheSloth wrote:
special rules...
what about:
Beast
this model uses all the rules for monsterous mounts (Knock to ground and extra attack)

Pounce
When this model charges, it can either attack as usual or it can use just 1 attack. If it choses 1 attack then, if it wins, it deals out 2 strenth 9 hits.

what do you think?

I like the beast rule, not sure about the pounce rule, oh well, I like it, but perhaps strenght 9 is a little to strong? I don't have my rulebooks lying around right now, and it's been a while since I had a battle, so I don't really remember the woundchart either :oops: I think it might be better to think of a profile first and adding special rules later, I don't want to overpower him, he is an old warg, hiding in a cave after all, I think of him as a war veteran, he has seen many battles, but he's retiring now, enjoying his good old days :wink:
I should start searching my rulebooks now..

Post subject: Re: Eaothen's Khazad-Dum WIP
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:07 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I have returned with some more pictures! This time, no dwarves, goblins or giant wargs, no, I've been working on my Moria board lately. Here are some pictures of the work so far.
I hope you like them :)
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

Post subject: Re: Eaothen's Khazad-Dum WIP
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:11 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

:gimli: :gimli: :gimli: :gimli: :gimli: :gimli: worthy for a dwarf to live in :D Nice work. :yay:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next