All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:58 pm

Post subject: Maermaethor's Summer Haradrim Painting
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:53 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

My order from Waylandgames arrived this summer and I have painted a lot already (by my own standards anyway) and will be posting pics throughout the summer (and maybe after that too).

I got a box of warriors which I haven't really started on yet. Here are two earlier Haradrim that I tested the color scheme on. I am altering it a bit for the rest of the Haradrim though.

I also got a box of raiders and I have painted half of them already. I will hopefully finish all by the end of next week.

It took me a long time to be fully pleased with the color scheme of the watcher of Karna but after a lot of testing I have it and will paint the 5 others in the same way.

I got the Abrakhan guards a few months ago but I have only finished 3, and there are 3 more to go, and I just got the Golden King in the Wayland's order. He is almost done, just need to paint the second fat servant.

And then I felt like repainting my Hasharin in the new desert scheme and here he is.

Comments, criticism, advice, questions, and everything else welcome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:09 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I really love the colour scheme, especially on the Watcher and Hasharin. The little green jewels really stand out and contrast nicely with the white and yellow. Good work! Can't wait to see the Golden King.

On the Abrakhan Guard, you could maybe make the yellow less "yellow" and maybe more white or darker, like in the Hasharin. Maybe a highlight on the skin also.

Good work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i love the hasharin and the watcher. the raiders are also very nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:14 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Erurainon the Trombonist wrote:
I really love the colour scheme, especially on the Watcher and Hasharin. The little green jewels really stand out and contrast nicely with the white and yellow. Good work! Can't wait to see the Golden King.

On the Abrakhan Guard, you could maybe make the yellow less "yellow" and maybe more white or darker, like in the Hasharin. Maybe a highlight on the skin also.

Good work!

Could you explain more how I should make the yellow less yellow? Should I add another highlight of bleached bone and skull white to make it more white? Or wash with babad black? I don't want to make it the same as the Hasharin though as the Hasharin is too brown and I want to keep the yellow because their leader is the Golden King, and I want to represent the Gold on their color scheme.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:22 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

You've done a lot! The raiders are really good. I like how you've painted their armour like wicker. The colour scheme for the watchers look good but in my opinion the paint job you've done on him isn't up to the same standard as the others.
How are you painting the other Abrakhan guards?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:12 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Maermaethor wrote:
Erurainon the Trombonist wrote:

Good work!

Could you explain more how I should make the yellow less yellow? Should I add another highlight of bleached bone and skull white to make it more white? Or wash with babad black? I don't want to make it the same as the Hasharin though as the Hasharin is too brown and I want to keep the yellow because their leader is the Golden King, and I want to represent the Gold on their color scheme.

Maybe try your idea of adding another highlight of bleached bone and skull white. Perhaps you could do this just on the turbans to make more variation within the minis. Perhaps keep the yellow on the trousers to keep with the Golden King.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:07 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Dwarf Lord of Ered Luin wrote:
You've done a lot! The raiders are really good. I like how you've painted their armour like wicker. The colour scheme for the watchers look good but in my opinion the paint job you've done on him isn't up to the same standard as the others.
How are you painting the other Abrakhan guards?

Not to be a pain, but that 'armour' on raiders is wicker, only GW for some unknown reasons paints it gold...crazy :D

Well, Idea is quite nice, I myself own Harad army with desert camo, they look really natural.

As it has been pointed some minis are to yellow, maybe try some snakebite leather to shade it a bit, should do the trick. Also don't hesitate to experiment with colours, desert is not only all yellow and beige ;) Break down that colour scheme with, white/various browns/ black that's especially recommended for your Watchers of Karna, they're too flat, without any contrast.

All in all, keep up your work and ideas, try to practice to get your technique to next level, and supply us with more pics ;)

To finish up I'll go with a bit of private ;) Here's a link to article I wrote on painting Harad, I hope it will help you in some way ;)

http://www.one-ring.co.uk/phpBB2/kb.php ... icle&k=695

www.independent-painters.blogspot.com/
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:22 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

As far as the yellow on the guards go I would paint the yellow similarly to how you painted the NMM on Suladan. That way it would still fit with the golden king but look more realistic.
To quickly fix up the older ones I would either suggest you give it a wash with a thinned down brown, and then maybe add a few more highlights, rather than use badab black or give it a couple glazes of a creamy colour, yellow mixed with bleached bone would work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:26 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Haldir_pl wrote:
Not to be a pain, but that 'armour' on raiders is wicker, only GW for some unknown reasons paints it gold...crazy :D

Well, Idea is quite nice, I myself own Harad army with desert camo, they look really natural.

As it has been pointed some minis are to yellow, maybe try some snakebite leather to shade it a bit, should do the trick. Also don't hesitate to experiment with colours, desert is not only all yellow and beige ;) Break down that colour scheme with, white/various browns/ black that's especially recommended for your Watchers of Karna, they're too flat, without any contrast.

All in all, keep up your work and ideas, try to practice to get your technique to next level, and supply us with more pics ;)

To finish up I'll go with a bit of private ;) Here's a link to article I wrote on painting Harad, I hope it will help you in some way ;)

http://www.one-ring.co.uk/phpBB2/kb.php ... icle&k=695

Yeah that article was what gave me the idea for he color scheme! Thanks for that. I might try adding some darker brown to the Watchers. Maybe some dark flesh on some spots.

Just to clear up, the Abrakhan fat guards are not meant to have a desert scheme, and they are meant to be yellow. But I think I will still add some more highlights to them.

Yeah I don't know why GW paints the raider wicker gold :p But I think it might look a bit weird having raiders with wicker armor and infantry with metallic. But whatever!

I will be posting more pics tomorrow. Will do what you guys said and also hopefully finish the Golden King.

Thanks!

As far as the yellow on the guards go I would paint the yellow similarly to how you painted the NMM on Suladan. That way it would still fit with the golden king but look more realistic.

I can't remember how I painted that, but I really wouldn't compare NMM with normal clothes. Besides, the painting on my Suladan is HORRIBLE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:33 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I haven't gotten much done because my cousin came and that means stuff like airsofting at midnight and lighting the sauna at 3 am, but here are some updates.

I haven't done anything new on the Golden king, just showing what he looks like at the moment. I really need to improve him so tips would be welcome! There is some pure Bleached Bone highlighting there too.

Here are 2 Haradrim. I don't know if I should use this color scheme or the earlier one on the rest of the guys. I think I will use both.

I am converting my Haradrim King to carry a warspear, and will repaint him afterwards. I lost my metal wire though so I think I will paint him before I stick a spear on. The hole is already drilled in his hand.

The Betrayer finally arrived in the mail yesterday, and I finished painting him this morning (or well, at 1 pm, but that's morning for me since I woke up at 12:30) I tried to use the desert color scheme on him, but still maintain that ringwraith theme, and I think it worked pretty well.

His horse version has a pretty stupid pose though and I did a little converting on it.

Comments and criticism welcome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

love the betrayer paint job on the betrayer. personally i like it more then the games workshop betrayer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I agree. Cool idea on the betrayer. Well executed also. :yay:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:09 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Nice work. The haradrim look good as does the betrayer. I like the weathering effects on the bottom of his cloak. How did you paint his sword?
The golden king looks pretty good. I would have personally started with a mix of brown and yellow and then add bleach bone for the highlights to get a duller yellow. I would also paint the knobs on the carrying poles and the scorpion with gold but it is all a matter of personal preference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:36 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Nice work. The haradrim look good as does the betrayer. I like the weathering effects on the bottom of his cloak. How did you paint his sword?
The golden king looks pretty good. I would have personally started with a mix of brown and yellow and then add bleach bone for the highlights to get a duller yellow. I would also paint the knobs on the carrying poles and the scorpion with gold but it is all a matter of personal preference.

The Betrayer's sword was a very long process. I painted it mithril silver first, then did a few washes of devlan mud and babad black, then paint a few lines of camo green followed by dark green ink. Then drybrushed with shining gold and mithril silver and continued doing washes and drybrushes until it looked like that.

I just got a new pot of shining gold so I will do what you said on the knobs and scorpion, though I will leave the yellow clothes like they are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:34 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Very good choice of colours on the haradrim, love the sand-tones since I ever first saw them.
Nice paintjob so far, you're doing great! 8)

Post subject: Re: Maermaethor's Summer Haradrim Painting
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:24 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Wow! That is SO cool! I particularly like the Hasharin and the Betrayer, but the Golden King and the Abrakhan Guards, I think, have a slightly less realistic look to them because their clothing is unnaturally bright and harsh. Otherwise I love it - I repainted my entire Mumak with this scheme I liked it so much. Keep up that standard and you'll have one of the world's best painted armies!