All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 906 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: PoW's WIP: 12/25/16
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:39 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Very nice ideas with dioramas. I need to make one for myself ;)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:42 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The dioramas look really good but it's the Easterling that caught my eye, splendid work on him.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:14 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thank you guys for the kind words, I appreciate it :)
Here is a wip of a ranger. I did this one to look more like a ranger of Ithilien, but I've got a couple of other ideas I want to try out as well.

Last week I stopped at a hobby store and picked up these. I got them purely because they are different from anything I've painted before, and I thought it would be fun to change it up a bit.

I'm hoping to start painting my fell beast soon, so keep an eye out for that.

-PoW

Post subject: Re: PoW's WIP: 1/6/17
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:17 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

that duke gerard looks like an awesome mini

Post subject: Re: PoW's WIP: 1/6/17
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:43 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That range looks great, love the darker colour scheme.

Post subject: Re: PoW's WIP: 1/18/17
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks! Here is my first finished ranger, and a wip of me entry for this month's challenge.

-PoW

Post subject: Re: PoW's WIP: 1/18/17
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:39 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Some progress on my Royal Guard. He is currently at the ghost stage lol.

-PoW

Post subject: Re: PoW's WIP: 1/26/17
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:24 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Very nice work! 8) I think you'll be a tough contender in this competition.

Current Project: Ringwraiths - Haradrim - Mumakil
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:57 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

he looks great! i like the colours.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:49 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Glad you guys like it!
Finished, for now. I have some time tomorrow, so I might make a few tweeks before I make my final submission.
Let me know what you guys think! If you think anything could be better don't hesitate to tell me.

I'm kinda disappointed with my gloss varnish, it doesn't seem to be very glossy for some reason. I wanted to do more for the base, but didn't want to mess around with trying to get the tab off without destroying the paint job.

-PoW

Post subject: Re: PoW's WIP: 1/30/17
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:59 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

If u really want it shiney, nail polish might do it. I used them on my first mini's as a varnish coat. It's really shiney. Just watch out not to rub the paint of.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

You've really got the non-metal metallics licked. When the tome of wisdom is back up again you should do an article.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

garmenhord wrote:
If u really want it shiney, nail polish might do it. I used them on my first mini's as a varnish coat. It's really shiney. Just watch out not to rub the paint of.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to give that a try. I painted on another coat of regular gloss varnish on the gem and that seemed to do the trick for some reason.
GreatKhanArtist wrote:
You've really got the non-metal metallics licked. When the tome of wisdom is back up again you should do an article.

Haha, thanks! I still have a lot to learn, but I wouldn't mind writing an article at some point. Just to clarify though, this model was painted using regular metallics, unless you are referring to some of my previous models. Either way, I appreciate the comment :)

Here is the final version of the Royal Guard. I did make a few tweaks, the biggest being that I changed the horse mane to black. I did this mainly because it just didn't seem to really fit the way it was, I feel like it clashed with the helmet and chainmail too much. The black I think provides a nice contrast to the helmet. I also changed a few of the gold bits to look more like leather, mostly because I didn't like how they looked with the gold. I also changed the strap so the center of it is blue instead of gold because I wanted there to be more blue in the front, and again I didn't really like the gold.
Enough talk, let's look at the picture!

I finally decided to put a greater effort into getting some decent pics, I'm pleased with how they came out. There are a few where the further parts of the mini are slightly blurry, which is why I added the other two pics.
If you look closely at the first picture you will notice that I painted the eyes, at least one of them. The other one wasn't as clearly sculpted, so I'm going to say he has a scar on that eye :)

-PoW

Post subject: Re: PoW's WIP: 1/31/17
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:43 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi PoW - great stuff, as usual ! Just got caught up on your wip and I especially like your ranger. I've got 2 dozen waiting for me to paint up but I've been stalling due to uncertainty about the color scheme. But you've nailed what I'm looking for exactly. Any chance you could share your color palette with us ? I'd love to try to match what you did - thanks !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:49 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

ja33, I'm so sorry for the late reply! I would be glad to share my method with you, in fact I was going to post it tonight, but I accidentally closed the page without saving it so I'll have to start over. I'll try and get it posted this week though. Who knows, I might even try and do a step-by-step kind of thing with pictures, that could be fun.

I'm a little disappointed with the results of last months challenge. I was really proud with what I had accomplished and confident in the techniques I used, and I even was able to get better pictures. So I'm curious, what could I have done better/differently? There were a few things I noticed that could have been better, such as the base, and maybe adding more depth to the metallics. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I'm just at a loss as to where I went wrong.

On a different note, I've finally fixed up most of my brother's miniatures and put them back on the shelves along with my own. Together we have a combined good force of over 270 miniatures that are currently painted. Some are duplicate heroes, like I think we have 7 Aragorns, but it's still pretty impressive. I haven't got to the bad guys yet, but I know there'll be just as many, if not more than the good guys. Now I just need to battle with them again :)

-PoW

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:29 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Ok, here's how I painted my ranger. To start, I used a mixture of Vallejo Game Color ( VGC ) and GW paints ( both old and new ). I can't remember all of the paint names off the top of my head, but I'll do my best. I may also refer to some of the GW paints by their old names, I've never taken the time to try and relearn them.
Anyway, I started by undercoating it with black. For the dark green parts I used a basecoat of VGC Dark Green. I don't know if it's the bottle I got, but this particular color doesn't have great coverage, and is in general a pain to work with. If you can, I would recommend using GW's Dark Angels Green or whatever it's called now. To highlight I mixed in some VGC Sick Green with Dark Green in increasing amounts until it was about an equal mix. Then I added a touch of Fortress Grey for the final highlights.
For the tunic thing I gave it a basecoat of a mix of VGC Cayman Green and GW Graveyyard Earth. I just eyeballed how much green to add until I got the shade I wanted. To highlight I added increasing amounts of GW Karak Stone. A final highlight was given by adding a little bit of GW Bleached Bone to the mix.
All of the brown parts were painted basically the same. I started with a basecoat of VGC Charred Brown. I shaded this a bit by mixing some black in with the brown with some water and basically washed all the parts that were just basecoated. Next I added VGC Dark Flesh in small amounts to the Charred Brown until I was using pure Dark Flesh. Then I mixed in a little bit of Bleached Bone ( I think ) to the Dark Flesh as a final highlight. For the leather I gave those a few extra washes with an orange and brown wash, but that's optional.
The Red trim was given a basecoat of Charred Brown as well. I then went over that with a 50/50 mix of Charred Brown and VGC Scarlet Red. Then I highlighted it with pure Scarlet Red, followed by a 50/50 mix of Scarlet Red and VGC Bloody Red, then pure Bloody Red.
The black was done by adding small amounts of Fortress Grey to black, being careful to take my time and make sure the transition wasn't to sharp.
For the skin I gave it a basecoat of white, followed by Charred Brown. I then covered most of that with a 50/50 mix of Charred Brown and VGC Tan, and then added in small amounts of GW Elf Flesh until I was using pure Elf Flesh. If you want to add more color you can glaze the shades with GW Leviathan Purple, or their red glaze, or both.
For the gold I started with a basecoat of GW Auric Armour Gold, then highlighted with GW Gehenna's Gold. The final highlights were done by mixing in a small amount of GW Chainmail Silver with the gold, and then Chainmail Silver at the very brightest parts.
I can't really remember how I painted the sword, but I think it was a basecoat of Chainmail Silver, then shaded by mixing in some black, and highlighted with GW Mithril Silver.

I hope this is helpful, I don't do this kind of thing often so if there are any questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them!

Here are some pics of another Rohan Warrior. Nothing special, but it was fun.

Please let me know what you guys think! I'm also still interested in any thoughts you guys have of my Royal Guard, so feel free to share those as well.

-PoW

Post subject: Re: PoW's WIP: 3/4/17 Rohan Warrior + Ranger Paint Guide
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:46 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

On a side not regarding the painting guide, all of the Vallejo colors have a GW counterpart, so don't feel like you have to go out and get the exact paints I used. A quick google search will pull up a conversion chart for the two ranges.

-PoW

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:39 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@PowerofWill - thanks man !! What a fantastic and detailed painting guide, and it is so generous of you to take the time to type it all up and share with all of us here - Thanks again and great work as always !

As for your excellent Rohan Royal Guard, don't be down about the voting results. You did a fantastic job on him and should be proud. The only thing that I could offer as to why he didn't maybe score as well as you hoped is the concept that some people really enjoy the traditional paint schemes and color palettes and therefore even a fantastic paint job using a different color scheme doesn't quite grab them the same way - does that make sense ? I know that I've fallen into that mindset at times, i.e, I could see an expertly painted Warrior of Numenor, but if the color scheme was green, red and gold, for example, instead of the traditional navy, black and silver, it might not jump off the page to me. Just personal preferences likely. But that said, don't let that stop you - or anyone else reading this - from venturing 'outside the box' and being creative with your color schemes, anything done well is worth doing ! lol

Anyway, keep up the great work - your stuff is always inspiring to me and I'm sure to countless others here on the site.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:41 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

And to follow up, your Blue and Yellow Rohan series are all fantastic - and they are a great example of a new color scheme looking great !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I can only offer two criticisms of your excellent royal guardsman. The combination of the yellow cloth and gold armor highlights didn't work for me, they tend to blur together a bit unfortunately. The other is a personal dislike of shield gems. The gem is beautifully executed, but I've never liked them. A stone that size would be about seven inches wide in real life. That's an unbelievably massive stone. Shield gems of that kind are pretty, but the style takes me out of the fantasy that this is a real soldier on a real battlefield.

Still, those are two idiosyncratic personal preferences, who knows what other people voted on. The competition is very difficult, nine votes is a very strong showing.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 906 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 46  Next