All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:09 pm

Post subject: WotR Escalation League (1st month complete)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:53 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Been collecting quite a bit of stuff for WotR dwarves for a year now and since the local escalation league is starting soon, I figured I would get a head start on it since I have a lot of infantry to paint.

The escalation league begins on the first week of May and lasts until the first week of November. 250 points of models must be completely painted by each meeting at the beginning of each month. I am hoping to double that considering epic heroes and monsters point costs are so high and because its not hard to get 500 points done in a months time.

I have quite a few models to go through, and while I don't think I'll be able to paint everything on the following list by the beginning of November, I think I should be able to get 80% completed. Thats the goal at least...

The allies list is tentative and not representative of actual cumulative points due to models representing one or another of the entries in that list.

I couldnt resist working on a fun model first, and I had to paint my 'counts as' Ent.

The model is Beorn the werebear (Reaper Miniature by the name of "Werebear" I believe, mounted on a 60mm Fenris Games resin base) and represents any of the listed Ents depending on the list I am building, though usually it is treebeard.

I figured the ent rules were the best fit for Beorn.

He is lovingly nicknamed "Karate Bear".

From opening blister to spraying dul-cote, he took 6 hours to complete.

Click here for larger 1st pic
Click here for larger 2nd pic
Click here for larger 3rd pic

Next up: Gandalf the Grey.

[update]
The league is lacking evil players surprisingly. So instead of doing 500 points of dwarves per month to get them done quicker, I am going to do 250 points of dwarves and 250 points of Misty Mountain beasts to even up the amount of good versus bad players. Not that important really, but it just gives me a chance to do two armies that I need to get done instead of one.

Last edited by Hellfury on Thu May 27, 2010 8:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:53 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sounds and looks very good! One thing though: In Legendary Formations, you have merely put "Murin" and then 110 points. Not sure how many companies will be with him, as the cost implies just one, but it's not stated: or is it so that you can just change some Dwarf Warriors with Shields into his formation?

The reasoning by the Grey Company is abso-sodding-lutely excellent and awesome! A job well done with having each ally have a fluff reason/be representative stats for the models that you want to use.

Beorn looks great, although, after reading "Karate Bear", I looked and thought he was dancing (maybe to Night Fever, lol), but looks awesome nonetheless :D

Good luck and more pics!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:19 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
In Legendary Formations, you have merely put "Murin" and then 110 points. Not sure how many companies will be with him, as the cost implies just one, but it's not stated: or is it so that you can just change some Dwarf Warriors with Shields into [Murin's] formation?

Yep thats the idea. I dont have an infinite supply of dwarf warriors and I really dont want to buy more than 4 boxes. Ever.

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
The reasoning by the Grey Company is abso-sodding-lutely excellent and awesome! A job well done with having each ally have a fluff reason/be representative stats for the models that you want to use.

Thanks for the kind words. I am kind of a Grognard when it comes to theme. It has to have some type of logical rationale or I wont use it.

The tough part is finding adequate rules to represent your ideas within the rules available to make it easier for the opponent to swallow. Sadly, its not always a perfect match....
("Bear is vulnerable to fire? What is he, made of wood?" "Why yes, he is... :oops: ")

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
...after reading "Karate Bear", I looked and thought he was dancing (maybe to Night Fever, lol)

I agree.

I chose "travolta bear" but the local consensus chose "karate bear" as it's nomme de guerre. :roll:

No biggie. In my book, telling my opponent "Karate bear is going to go wu-tang all over your ass" is just as good as saying "Travolta bear is going to saturday night fever across your face".
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:33 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

As seen in the update to the original post, I am now going to be dividing my time to doing two armies concurrently. Dwarves and Misty Mountain.

All images can be enlarged.

Here is Gandalf the Grey:

5 of the 15 companies of wargs that are very close to done:
Close up of completed warg:
Mounted Druzhag WIP converted from a plastic goblin, some greenstuff for the harness and cloak:

Magnetized infantry tray:
Rare earth magnets in the tray, and Paper Steel (thin steel sandwiched between two thin sheets of paper) are affixed to the bottoms of the bases

Next up:
Hopefully the 4 company formation of dwarven warriors with 2 handed weapons will be finished by the next update.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:59 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nice work on Gandalf, some of the highlights are a bit rough but the face has got a lot of character. 8) The Druzhag conversion is very good - looking forward to seeing him painted! And nice bases on the Wargs.
The Dwarves look good so far, can't wait to see more! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Beorn, Gandalf, Wargs...all looking great!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:47 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Looks great! Gandalf's face is very nice, I especially like the eyes. The staff is also very good. The Druzhag conversion is great! I love the head on the spear and the cloak, which is really nicely sculpted. Can't wait for some more updates from you! 8)

Bilbo
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Just a quick update with some dwarves that are very near completion.
I am not sure if I like them that much. Kind of unsatisfying after I was finished. May likely change a bit to make it pop better.

Its a big pic so I am going to just provide this link to click

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Gandalfs face is fantastic and the conversion of Druzhag is Amacing etc etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:13 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Our first WotR escalation league meeting is tomorrow night and we bring the first painted 250 points of our armies for a large group game. My first 250 points for the escalation league are now completed. Due to IRL difficulties and my own lack of excitement for painting dwarves, I only completed the Misty Mountain half with about 75% of the dwarf unit completed. So close to my own goal. Oh well. At least I got half of the goal done.

So here is the actual finished product for the misty mountains side. 1x9company Warg formation with a Warg chieftain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:44 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hellfury those wargs are indcredible!!! :yay: And that chieftan look amazing!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:32 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Queen Berúthiel wrote:
Hellfury those wargs are indcredible!!! :yay: And that chieftan look amazing!!!

Thanks. I wish all wargs were metal because after painting the chieftain I think the plastic wargs look like butt in comparison.