All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:55 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: Amon Hen Helms Deep (clickable thumbnails)new
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:49 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Nice work Charlie, I see you have what looks like an Amon Sul in the works too?

Thanks. These are castings from mold 65. I was experimenting with using the parts for a throne room. If I use the door columns it will look more like Amon Sul than the ruined tower plain. I have not worked out some of the details yet.
http://www.hirstarts.com/ruin/ruin.html#ruin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Looks very good your wall, looks just as good as the bought one - or better! The round ruin's looking goo so far as well, I don't have enough bricks yet for that. Do you just spend a certain amount of time making loads of bricks, and then once you have heeps begin to build/experiment. Also I found using easyflow resin is a lot better for the detailed bits etc.. & just plaster for the bricks, is that what you do? :)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:15 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

What about some sort of stained glass for the window in the throne room ?
May give it a more gothic feel :roll:

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:15 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Image Image Image Image Image

Quote:
What about some sort of stained glass for the window in the throne room ?
I have been thinking about that. I am going to experiment with gallery glass some more. I have been having trouble with a thin lead line. It will take more practice.
Quote:
just plaster for the bricks, is that what you do?

I try to cast most of the molds at least once a day more when I can. It takes some time to build up a supply. I use Pottery plaster for common blocks and light wt Hydro cal for the detail molds.The resins dry out the molds so use it carefully.
Thanks for the complement on the wall.I have worked hard to get it to match the Helms Deep model. I have had some difficulty with the battlements but it is working out. Always dry stack your bricks before you glue them. No matter how careful you are some will need to be sanded.Dry stacking is a good way to experiment as well.
I have been working on some throne room concepts. The 1985 throne is very large and it is going to require a large eye window. Let me know which eye window you like the best. I have been trying to come up with a plain for a round throne room using the 8 inch tower mold and the ruined tower mold for the windows. I wish there were left hand curving stairs. I think I am almost ready to glue up the Goblin Kings throne.Let me know what you think.
Thanks for the suggestions :!: I think it is always more fun to work with people on a project. It always turns out better too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:22 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

All look great Charlie.
Regarding the staircase on the right hand picture. I'm thinking of filling the gap between the staircases. How about a largish square block sanded down to slide in the triangular gap. Then you could place some sort of ornate statue / bust on top of it. It will depend to some degree if you have such a mold or it's out hunting for something to fit.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:33 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
filling the gap between the staircases

I still need to cast some more parts. I used them all in the Necromancer's Shop and Amon Hen. I would like to make a circular stair on both the left and right side. I will have to cut blocks for the right side stairway.I am not sure if I am going to make the stair way two wide. The curved blocks are hard to stack.I do not know if my dome idea will work. Is the eye on the Gothic dome throne large enough? I am going to finish the field stone throne rooms for my field stone dungeon but I think the Gothic blocks look more like LOTR.
Thanks for the suggestions

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
I try to cast most of the molds at least once a day more when I can. It takes some time to build up a supply. I use Pottery plaster for common blocks and light wt Hydro cal for the detail molds.The resins dry out the molds so use it carefully.
Thanks for the complement on the wall.I have worked hard to get it to match the Helms Deep model. I have had some difficulty with the battlements but it is working out. Always dry stack your bricks before you glue them. No matter how careful you are some will need to be sanded.Dry stacking is a good way to experiment as well.
I have been working on some throne room concepts. The 1985 throne is very large and it is going to require a large eye window. Let me know which eye window you like the best. I have been trying to come up with a plain for a round throne room using the 8 inch tower mold and the ruined tower mold for the windows. I wish there were left hand curving stairs. I think I am almost ready to glue up the Goblin Kings throne.Let me know what you think.
Thanks for the suggestions :!: I think it is always more fun to work with people on a project. It always turns out better too.

I'll keep that in mind, & try to get a set each day. At the moment I'm only using Polyfilla plaster, but I'm thinking of getting some dentist plaster stuff. Look forward to seeing more on the wall, it honestly looks brilliant. I like the throne concepts & they look good. I think in my opinion I like the rounded brick eye effect, but they both work well. I haven't ran into the left hand curving stairs yet, but I'm sure I'll come across it soon. I also agree it's always more fun to work with people, I'll get my old & dusty thread going once I get myself a few piles of bricks :D

Keep it coming, Drum 8)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:23 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Looks ok for size to me Charlie.
I see you have more casting to do but how about a couple of fire pits in the recess areas to the stairs ?
They could be stood on blocks or have a raised torch from floor level ?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:53 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Image Image Image
Quote:
I see you have more casting to do but how about a couple of fire pits in the recess areas to the stairs ?
They could be stood on blocks or have a raised torch from floor level ?

You can see from the photo I like your idea :!: You can see from the 2th and 3th photo how I want to make the stair. I am going to make them 3 wide so that I will have room for columns and or the fire. I will use the Gothic floor and detail pieces instead of field stone. I have to pick up some more plaster tomorrow.
Quote:
I haven't ran into the left hand curving stairs yet, but I'm sure I'll come across it soon

I am going to look at some more molds I need one more for Helms Deep. I hope I can find one to make a larger Gothic Eye.
What do you think of the columns :?: Should I use the short or long columns for the fire :?: I also used a brick floor piece to contrast the field stone catacomb and corner pieces. You will have to enlarge the thumb nail to see the detail. This 4 inch by 4inch floor piece is way to small. Should I make it 4inch by 8 inch :?: Thanks for your suggestions :!:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:15 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Charlie
I don't know if you've seen this before but it's probably the finest example of Helms Deep ever, made by the demi-god Onyx
http://onyxworkshop.wordpress.com/about/helms-deep/
I hope it will give you some ideas 8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:42 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Onyx has a really cool site. I like his Gondor fort that has the interchangeable roofs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:51 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Image Image Image

I have base coated the Goblin Kings Throne room for Goblin Town. I still can not decide if the large eye looks better than the small eye. I need to paint some. Amon Hen will be next.Comments and suggestions are always welcome :!:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:07 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Both eyes look awesome lol i see why it's hard to pick one out. I think i would go for the small eye tough. Don't ask me why ( i have no clue). But great job as always.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:08 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think the little eye looks best but that´s just my opinion. Anwyaw great work :yay:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:33 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Fantastic terrain in this thread, MOST inspiring! 8)

I'm kind of itching to have another go at Helm's Deep myself. Mine is quite old now and I've learnt a lot since then. Hmmm, we'll see :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:15 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Out of the two the large eye looks best. But you may hate me for this, but I think the reason you are undecided could be that another window, half way between the two will work better...sorry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:31 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Thanks for the nice comments.
Quote:
Out of the two the large eye looks best. But you may hate me for this, but I think the reason you are undecided could be that another window, half way between the two will work better...sorry

No need to be sorry about making a suggestion. If I did not want comments I would not ask. So here is what I have to work with.

My brother Jon suggested I use two of the long arched windows instead of combining the long and the short.I liked the eye of Horus look but he suggested the tear drop was fooling the eye and making me feel like some thing was wrong with it.I made the larger eye for the Sauron throne. I want to look for a more suitable Gothic mold for Saurons throne room.
Your comments criticisms and suggestions are most welcome.
I have to paint some WWII and Cryo-mech buildings this week end. So I am going to be bored with the all of the gray and browns. Make some suggestions about painting the watcher and Sauron's throne so I will have something to think about and look forward to.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:47 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

greens and yellows on the watcher maybe some pink to?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:32 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I think the darker gray might look a little better. I wanted it to match the Dwarven Forge Models. I need to work on it some more. I am going to stop before I mess it up. Let me Know what you think of the colors.

Image Image Image

The overall color is close to Dwarven Forge but I need to work on blending some of the dark colors into the shadows.
Let me know what you think.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:15 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

looks great so far. I really like the cave like atmosphere. Maybe u could base some of the colors on pictures of caves if you haven't done that yet :) .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 38  Next