All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:51 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:51 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

nice one! Eowyn and Cirdan are looking cool, loving the free hand on the dress. Do you work on the shaded areas more when using such a light undercoat ?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:52 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Cirdan looks really good. The clothing is just perfect and the facial expressions look great, however the hair is a little flat and could do with some more shading or highlighting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:41 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well the tournament was yesterday, so after lots of painting and assignments I now have time to update this thread.

Here's some pics of the finished army I used. I painted Suladan in 3 hours the night before the tournament so I'm pretty happy how he turned out.
and some close ups as requested

I played 3 games over the day.
1st was Contest of Champions against a Baradur/ Easterlings army led by Shagrat. I ended up with a Major loss mostly because of a large group of easterling archers managing to destroy my Kataphrakts that were shielding Suladan in turn 2 and then in turn 3 killing Suladan's horse and causing 3 wounds on him, he was only kept in the game by his point of fate. Also in this game I had a single haradrim spear man that held up a mordor troll from getting at the rest of my lines for a good 5 turns. He just kept winning the fights!

2nd game was Domination against wood elves. Although 3 of the 4 objectives being wooded terrain I managed a minor win in this game. It was probably because my opponent being very unlucky with his dice rolls (have you ever seen Legolas miss all three shots 2 turns in a row)

3rd game was to the death against more Baradur and some haradrim. I got manicured. I don't know if we had the deployment rules wrong but we ended up deploying our entire armies about and inch apart. Because of this his wargs managed to consumed almost all my arches and Shagrat killed my dragon knight both on turn one.

Over all I ended up finishing 4th in the tournament (I only won one game so I must have got lots of bonus points for sportsmanship and army painting) and so my prize was a box of warriors of the dead. Don't have pics yet but I've assembled the first 10 strait out of the box and after rereading some the articles I've seen here I will convert the other ten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:25 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

OK I've done some work on the army of the dead. Because it appears every one is working on them at the moment I tried to get a bit of a different look for mine. I re watched th movies to get a better look at the guys and if you look closely at some you can see some of their cloth is red and/or brown, so I tried to work with that a bit. Here's the test model.
In real life the under colours of reds and browns are a bit more noticeable.

And hear are the rest, 10 straight out of the box 9 converted to be individuals and 1 converted to have a banner. I have to say Natarn's article was a great help with the conversion ideas.
The converted warriors are paired with there originals

I have also just bought the king of the dead and the 6 metal warriors off ebay so I should have them in a week or two. So as always comments and criticisms are appreciated especially on the colour scheme.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The warrior of the dead looks terrific. The balance of the green and natural colours is just right and the dark cloak makes it look even better. I'll be looking forwards to seeing the whole army done, good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Great Serpent Horde/Easterling army and nice work on the dead! 8)