All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:12 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:54 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thank you. This is one of my first real attempts at highlighting, rather than just dry brushing, so I'm happy with how it turned out.
I agree with you BucklandBrewer, next time I think I'll place the minis a little further from the camera.
Here is a look at the base/diorama. The plaster is a fourth grade project I kept. We were recreating "fossils" hence the shells.
I'm going to put a pool of water on his right, the depression right next to closest shell with the shell be a rock, and I think I'll turn the larger shell into the remains of a ruined tower, with a few piles of stones around the outside but it won't be very high. Any other ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:16 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sounds good. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:44 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The browns are great but the skin is too grey and pale in my opinion. There are not enough "red" tones in the skin. It looks a bit lifeless. What paints are you using? The GW Dwarf flesh is a good warm skin colour. Why not get that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:30 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Your plan for the diorama is sounding good. Though I have to agree that the skin does look a little pale/grey. 8)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:47 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I see you what you mean. present I use tamiya paints. All of their paints are quite thick and don't work well when thinned so I had add dheneb stone in order to make highlights, which is why it is so pale. I can't buy GW paints here in Thailand but I hope to get some for Christmas, which should include dwarf flesh. Until then does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it? Would adding a light red/brown wash do the trick or should I redo it and add some red? If I redo it, where should the most and least red be?

And does anyone know where the thread with the different ways to add detail to ruins is? It is the one with mushrooms, vines, roots, and a tree stump. I had though it was an article but I could find it in the terrain section so I'm guessing it's a thread or maybe on a different site.

Thank you all for your helpful comments so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:25 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

A red wash should do the trick and then just re-highlight the highest points of the skin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:45 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The base for the diorama is great. 8)

Radagast looks much better but I would really recomend to try some getting some gw/valejo paints.
And perhaps it's an idea to paint the leaves on his staff in an autum coour scheme to get a bit of variation in colour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:12 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I fixed up the flesh and but it is hard to see from here. I was going to say he was done but aqan, your idea is brilliant. I love the contrast but would having them only on the staff make sense or should all the leaves be the same?
How are valejo paints? I can only really get GW paints right now, though my rarely, as it is being sent from Canada by a relative who already has difficulty getting GW's, but once I graduate and move back to Canada it might be an option.
I've also finished the base but I'm open to suggestions as there is stillquite a lot of room to work with and it can always be improved. Comments and criticism please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:35 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

It looks really nice with the display, great job :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:37 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Ooooh, I really like the way that base turned out! Nice job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:51 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The display base turned out very well! I also love the shading and highlighting on the cloak, greatwork there. 8)

Bilbo
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:07 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

yeah i had dbouts about the moddle it's self but on display it looks great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:16 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It looks very good, well done Dwarf Lord of Ered Luin! :yay:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:28 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thank you all for you compliments. He was my first real attempt at layering rather than just dry brushing and adding a wash so I'm pretty happy with him. I almost didn't go ahead with the display base because I didn't have the materials to make it but God provided. I saw the fourth grade project and had the a chisel lying around from a dinosaur kit I had received around ten years ago and it all came together.

Here's my next project. I didn't have enough putty left to finish the troll so I decided to work on some smaller projects until I acquired enough, which could be a long while. Based on your suggestions I decided to put together another barrow wight. After this I hope to make an easterling captain. If any of you have close ups of easterlings it would help if you could post them so that I have a better idea of what to work with. Thank you all and please leave feedback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:19 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Nice base!

About the leaves I would say just paint the ones on the staff but that's oyur choice.

for the easterling this picture might be usefull.
http://www.wetanz.com/easterling-soldier-figure/
If you pres the enlarge btton you get a real good view

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:06 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Good basic shape, but the left arm (bottom pic) looks a bit longer than the right one.
What's the lump sticking out in the first pic? A knee?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:43 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thank you aqan, that's a really good picture. I will try to start once the barrow wight is all done. As for the barrow wight, the bulge is just a result of how the putty folded when I twisted it. I'll see how it looks once I make the robe longer. Then I'll work on the arms. Thank you Elessar for reminding me or I probably would've just left it.

I've finished the leaves on Radagast. I decided to make the mall the same but they look a lot better than they did before, thank you once again aqan. @ PAMPLEMOUSE you said you had doubts about the model by itself. What do you mean? What needs to be improved?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:07 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I have made I little more progress on the barrow wight. I have added the hood and extended the right arm. How are they? I'm struggling to sculpt the hands so I'm wondering how it would without them and if anything should be done to the sleeves if that is the case?

I will try to get a picture of Radagast up tomorrow. Do you have any other suggestions as to how to improve him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:54 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The hood looks good! 8)

If I were you I'd move on to another miniature now - you've improved Radagast as much as you can without stripping him and re-starting. And he does look good, especially with the scenery you made to go with him! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:08 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

That display base is epic! Good job! :D

The Barrow white is looking fantastic. Its got a really nice flowing shape.

Keep it up 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next