All times are UTC

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:08 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: DLoEL WIP [Ranger Redux]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:18 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I've been working on my first scratch sculpt. I'm trying to make a ringwraith and it seems to be going pretty well. So far I've finished the inner robes and the sleeves. I'm working on attaching other hand. All that's left is the outer robes and the hood, and painting.
I'm also working on some prowlers. I've posted the pictures of two of the finished ones. The first is my favorite but the second has actually been converted but I used a little too much wash on it.

I would like some suggestion on improving the ringwraith as I haven't done much sculpting.

Last edited by Dwarf Lord of Ered Luin on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Looks really nice =)

Looking forward to see the progress on that ringwraith!

Very nice paintjob on the goblins too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:05 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Hear the sinister whisper of steel on leather? The quiet footsteps? You've found me.
Nice work!

I'm no good at sculpting, so I don't feel qualified to give advice like you asked for, however I can say good work so far! 8)

What kind of putty are you using? It doesn't look like greenstuff. :? Is it milliput, or something else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:22 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nice work so far Dwarf Lord of Ered Luin! The Goblins are painted well and the Ringwraith is coming along nicely. 8)
The left arm looks a bit odd though (a bit chunky?) but it might just be the angle of the pic.

Keep up the good work! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:21 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

It is hard to say what kind of putty it is. It is made by tamiya, labeled epoxy putty "quick dry". There was that and a blue one so I decided to get this one. I have a great lack of materials here. The store has closed down so I have just started ordering GW paints from overseas, can't find any insulation foam, (living in a hot country) and no putty.
Thanks for the nice compliments. The left arm has definitely got problems. Many of the marks came from cut and filling it down as it use to be far too big. I'm hoping to make some more progress tomorrow and over the weekend. I have a feeling I'm going to have to eventually replace the arm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:32 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Here's an update on the wraith. I've started the cloak, will add the bit under the arm tomorrow.
Just wondering, are there any defining features on the witch king or can any wraith do? I'm thinking of using this one as the witch king, due to my opponent's "new gandalf tactic," and I'm wondering if I need to add anything. I'd also like some advise on how to sculpt the empty hood. Comments, criticism, and advice are welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well I'll start by saying that it is pretty good for a first sculpt. To critisize, I would have to say, redo the left arm. It is nearly twice as long as it should be. The leg is also too short. But I really must congratulate you on your efforts. I can't wait to see it finished. Should be sweet! :yay:

I like how you have done the flow of the cloak in the second last picture. Very nice. :)

If you want to make it look like the witch king then put a crown on it. It will be a bit hard to put a crown on an invisible head so maybe if you put the crown just sitting over a hood.

I'm liking the progress, well done! 8)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:39 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I use Tamiya putty too. Personally I find it easier to use than Greenstuff, because greenstuff is too tough to manipulate by hand.

For a first go at scultping that's brilliant. I've had a few goes at sculpting with the Tamiya putty (an ent and two attempts at the watcher in the water), and by comparing the standard of your wraith with my own attempts, yours is far superior.
Keep it up! :-D

May the wind under your wings bear you to where the sun sails and the moon walks!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:07 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The crown is a great idea. I've got the perfect thing to make it with. I'm going to try to make it removable so I can use it to distinguish when I am using a generic wraith and when I'm using the witch king.
I've started to work on a replacement arm today so hopefully it will work out. Now I just need to get the arm off...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:47 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

it's turning out very well for your firts scratch build I like it 8)
can't wait to see it finished :-D
cheers :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

For the first sculpt, it looks fine. I especially like the way you shape the cloak. An also this putty is interesting, can you say, how detailed one can go before it stats crumble?

What I dislike is disproportion. You made really short leg and arm reaching knee. I would advise you to make some puppet from wire befor using any putty so you more or less keep human shape.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:30 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

A long overdue update. The new arm is done as well as more of the cloak.

I did actually start with a wire puppet but as the layers of putty added up something went wrong, the upper body is a little too bid. As for the putty, I haven't actually got to a point where I can't get more detailed, my sculpting tool made sure of that (it is something people use to do something with their nails but it looked useful), but I have had problems blending it in with the previous layer as it tend to crumble when you try to smooth it and there isn't much of it. Though sometimes it seems like it isn't blended in simply because if changes color after a few days and there seems to be a distinct line where the layers meet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:48 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dwarf Lord of Ered Luin wrote:
A long overdue update. The new arm is done as well as more of the cloak.
I did actually start with a wire puppet but as the layers of putty added up something went wrong, the upper body is a little too bid. As for the putty, I haven't actually got to a point where I can't get more detailed, my sculpting tool made sure of that (it is something people use to do something with their nails but it looked useful), but I have had problems blending it in with the previous layer as it tend to crumble when you try to smooth it and there isn't much of it. Though sometimes it seems like it isn't blended in simply because if changes color after a few days and there seems to be a distinct line where the layers meet.

Thats why Green Stuff is better.

Maybe if you sculpt over the leg to make it longer then the proportion might improve a bit.

I'm liking it so far. Keep it up. :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Once again I regret living in Thailand. Green stuff is located several hundred kilometers from me as are minis and paint. Thus I only get a few once a year if I'm lucky. That and the low value of the Baht mean I can't get much and so I'm working on my sculpting abilities.
I've got a crown for the Witch King but it is a little big. I will probably look okay on the hood, after all only a big crown gives you extra attacks. I'm not so sure how to add the spikes to it and I would like some suggestion on how to base it when it is done. I'll be using it with goblins but I want something a little more unique.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:25 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Is their a GW at Thailand?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:23 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I have heard that there is a independent retailer somewhere in Bangkok and that they don't sell any lotr products. Apart from that I have not other information and I live several hundred Km from Bangkok.
I haven't had any time to work on the wraith but I have got some pictures of two rangers I'm working on. I've got a whole bunch of unneeded warriors of Rohan so any conversion ideas would be great, preferably something that can ally with either Erebor or Moria.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:11 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'd like too see the second warrior painted ^^ It looks cool with these Rohan warriors.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:48 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nice idea with the Rohan archers - it works pretty well. 8)
As Rangers wouldn't be wearing scalemail treking across country it might be an idea to change it to leather armour, similar to other Ranger.
A good paint job and they should turn out great. Keep up the good work! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:47 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

If you feel more adventerous, then cut/file away that scale mail and sculpt leather armour underneath.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Hear the sinister whisper of steel on leather? The quiet footsteps? You've found me.
Samoht wrote:
Quote:
If you feel more adventerous, then cut/file away that scale mail and sculpt leather armour underneath

Or just sculpt it over the top, and make them look a little loaded. :lol:

They really are looking nice, DLOEL. 8) :-D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next