All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:34 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mapper - Just pictures
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

My that's a lot of figures.

Osgiliath(?) looks great. Can't think all those trolls are welcome news for the Good Guys.

As for the Teutoberger Forest, the Romans probably more or less thought of the Germans as orcs anyway...
 Post subject: Re: Mapper - Just pictures
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:14 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think the title of this thread is a bit too modest. These are much more than your typical, run of the mill pictures! The scope of your collection (both terrain and miniatures is really impressive. It really brings these scenes to life in a way that many of us can only envy.

I really enjoyed the crossover between the Romans and orcs too. I wouldn't count the Romans out, not even against an orcish ambush :-D

Post subject: Re: Mapper - some conversions
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

In my periodical painting slump so thought I would do some conversions instead.

With my East Gate of Moria done, have started to think about the dwarves I need for Balin's Expedition as well as the Battle of Azanulbizar.

I really thought hard about buying GW's Young Thorin, Balin and Dwalin but couldn't convince myself to spend $47 on three figures. I probably won't ever do Thorin's company vs goblin town so I decided to use those figures instead.

Bought some Warriors of Erebor, took the chain link skirt of one and added the top of Thorin. His Oaken Shield is part of the base of Radagast which I had made a mounted figure of. His sword is from Kili.

For Balin I replaced the heads of a figure with an axe and shield.

Kept Gloin and Dwalin the same.

Removed the axe head from Bifur and replaced the spear head, he will now be just another Erebor warrior.

Took the mallet from Bofur and gave it to one of the Erebor warriors.

My Warriors of Erebor (some modified with arm and waist shifting), waiting now for more Grim Hammers.

I'm going more book vs movie on this, I have Thror (Last King under the Mountain) new in blister that if you are in North America and are interested in him, send me a pm.

Last edited by Mapper on Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:23 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ooh, that is exciting that you're doing the Battle of Azanulbizar! That will be a great use of your terrain. The conversions look look great and those are some great sculpts from the Hobbit era too. If you need any painting guides for Thorin's Company, there are some nice ones on the Tale of Painters blog, linked here: https://taleofpainters.blogspot.com/2013/12/tutorials-how-to-paint-hobbit.html.

Won't you need Thrain and Thror for the Azanulbizar scenarios? Those are two models I'd like to paint one day if I can figure out a diorama or something to do with them. I doubt I'd ever get around to gaming with them, sadly. Either way, I'll be watching this with great interest and I hope you enjoy painting these dwarves as well :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Kuribo, you're right, I will need Thrain, just don't know if my painting can do him justice.

In the book, Thror's death by Azog in Moria was the beginning of the War between the Dwarves and the Orcs.

This will be a long term project, need some more terrain, etc.

Post subject: Re: Mapper - baggage train
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:25 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dug into the metal mountain and painted five baggage ponies for the Battle Companies scenario.

In the scenario if a pony is killed, some baggage may be picked up. I decided to add specific pieces to each pony to add another dimension to the scenario. Do you go for the pony with the dwarven brew, the rallying horn, a backpack, the rope or the bow and arrow?

Post subject: Re: Mapper - random pics
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Cleaned up my hobby area with no painting to be done until after US Thanksgiving, so took the opportunity with the bare area to take some pictures.

Defending the household. Warlord Games figures, one of the first I did and need and go back and do some work on that shield.

Victory at Sarn Ford

Facing the Necromancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:56 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

That baggage train looks great! I really like the atmospheric pictures you took with the terrain too. It really brings the scene to life. The latest pictures all look nice as well and that Warlord sculpt looks to be a good one. A lot of personality in the face! I hope that your BC scenarios is fun when you get around to playing it :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:42 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I misspoke, the woman with the severed head is warlord games, the warrior in the front is from gripping beast (Hereward the Wake). In the US Noble Knight Games carries gripping beast.

Post subject: Re: Mapper - into Lothlorien
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I have a mental block about painting my Dwarf Kings, have had them primed and ready to paint for the last few winters but never seem to do them. Looking at them again this year for some reason I just didn't feel like taking a paint brush to them again. Hoping to get out of the painting block I did some Moria goblins, figures that don't really need that much thinking and since I have a lot of them, any minor mistakes get hidden in the mob.

I had recently finished a piece of driftwood terrain so rather than pulling out my Moria box, I decided to have the goblins go into Lothlorien after the Fellowship

Lothlorien need trees, so out my drill and put holes into everything and added some paper straw trunks where needed to hold the trees. Trees in the stumps are easily removed for moving the goblins.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:18 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The goblins are a great looking group but the trees are the star of the show. They look really nice and realistic. The shot of goblins running around on the outskirts of Lothlorien is really cinematic too :yay: What is keeping you from taking up painting the dwarf kings? Having trouble coming up with a color scheme? If there's anything we can do to help, I'm sure we'd be happy to try :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

kuribo, thanks for the offer. I have been downloading different color schemes when I see them for ideas. I think the problem is that I usually do leaders as part of an army and keep the same general paint scheme. With the Kings I want them to be different so I'm having a hard time getting started. hopefully after the holidays.

Post subject: Re: Mapper - 2021
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

First - Happy New Year everyone!

This is what I have currently planned for the new year - depending on distractions of course.

I have a 2x3ft table that I hope to turn into a game table of the East Gate of Moria and its approaches. At one end will be the East Gate itself (I might redo what I did last year depending on possible purchases), with a portion of Lake Mirrormere at the other end.

It will be done in sections that I can swap out for a basic table also.

Orcs and goblins I got, for dwarves I still need to buy another group of Grim Hammers.

To be painted:

Dwarf lords and captain

To be primed and painted:

Khazad Guard (just got my last three this week) Khazad Guard captain I switched axe blades with one of the Dwarf Kings

Terrain:

Put Durin's Stone on another base to overhang Lake Mirrormere

Started Lake Mirrormere - first time I have really done a water feature, trying this approach where I coated the inside of a rock mold with gesso and will paint and add water effects into. Then will insert into some pink board which I will be doing my boards with.

Distraction number one! Awhile ago on the One Ring I had read that someone was going to convert the hobbits from swords to walking sticks and have them hiking. That has always stuck with me so yesterday I clipped and drilled and found some twigs. Where they will be hiking I haven't decided yet.

Anyone else have goals for 2021?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:57 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Looks like a great start to the new year, my friend! I'll be excited to see the terrain come together and I wish you the best of luck on your future resin pouring :) The Hobbit conversions really look great as well. Those would be perfect for Quest of the Ringbearer scenarios or some scenic Shire shots perhaps!

I have a couple of dioramas planned and maybe more besides that, we'll just have to see what the new year brings :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:16 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Good start to the year, Mapper. Love me some dwarf too, the King models are characterful and flexible to count as whomever. I just bagged a couple who could be the Thorin's Company pair who went with Balin into Moria, well that's the idea! I saw an awesome conversion of dead Balin being carried on a bier on Google, perhaps this would be another project some time.

Hobbit walking sticks, yeah I saw them on Youtube once and thought it is worth doing too, really works!

Looking forward to your Mirrormere piece, one thing I read recently was that Floi Stonehand, "Although against the Dwarven traditions[2], he was buried under the grass near the Mirrormere. ", which you may wish to include, I'm unsure on the exact chronology of it all.

For me in recent months, many many metals have been stripped and prepped ready for the new year Renaissance of the hobby. Just need to decide which faction to start with and get cracking!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:29 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The walking stick conversions worked really well, looks very natural.

Looking forward to seeing the water come to life!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement!

Being the first time I have done a water project at this level, I feel that I am questioning everything but will keep going. Is the gesso strong enough when I take it out of the mold? Should I have used a thin layer of plaster or even green stuff? I swirled some green food coloring in, how will that work? When done, can I get it out of the mold and set it into the insulation board? We will see.

After the gesso was set, I added some pumice to break up the smoothness, some rocks and dead trees, even a statue head. Tried adding some tuffs but when wet just looked as blobs. I poured the first layer too thick so it will take longer to dry and this is how it looks so far.

Tylus, I plan to have the area around the lake spanning the time when there were oak trees for Thorin to find his shield to the time when Balin was there. Definitely see an scenario where they are burying Floi and could be attacked.

Post subject: Re: Mapper - 2021 progress?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Some progress, I guess.

Ordered Grim Hammers, will wait to see how Covid affects their delivery. In between rain showers managed to prime the rest of my Khazad Guard.

Spent the week pouring a little of Woodland Scenics water effects at a time. Really tested my patience by not touching it to see if was dry before pouring some more. Basically poured a layer and put it aside for 24 hours.

While it was drying, finished painting up Floi Stonehand which I had started last year and painted the two dwarf captains.

Final pour done.

Now for the real test, will it come out of the mold?

Well, yes and no. The gesso base stayed in the mold but the "water" came out.

Now to see how I want it on a board, idea is to have it in a corner representing just a part of Lake Mirrormere, which means I have to trim a couple edges.

Was going to have to do the waters edge anyway once in the game board so I guess I can call it a "success". If I was to try it again, would go with a harder base before pouring the water. Still needed the base to hold the rocks and pumice I used before pouring.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:51 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The submerged logs etc are very effective.

And I like the dwarfs, don't see enough purple colour schemes IMO :)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:58 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Haven't heard of gesso before, good to hear it is usable etc! Came out well, those highlights around the logs will make it really pop.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 36  Next