All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:50 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mapper - Legolas -> Witcher
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:49 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Very nice, I'll toss him a coin ;)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Cool conversion. My FLGS has piles of these in stock, I bought the giant shark and the crocodile. I'm hoping to get my airbrush working this fall and paint the shark as my first airbrushed mini. I prefer Reaper minis, but nice to know that these guys are the same size as LoTR minis.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

GKA - the figures themselves are larger than LOTR but some of the elves and human heads work. It wouldn't hurt to take a lotr figure with you when you go to the store to see how they size up, especially if you have a conversion in mind. I have gotten several figures on spec as I like their staffs and keep thinking I should do some Blue Wizards.

I keep waiting for my store to restock the spiders, they work well and are a lot cheaper than GW.

One more thing, the heads are usually a separate mold and easy to take off.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:29 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

This isn't a Witcher message board, Mapper! How did Geralt get on here!? :lol: In all seriousness, that is a very cool conversion and who wouldn't want to field the White Wolf in their wargaming adventures? :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Fine one to talk Kuribo! Your blog title says battlesinmiddleearth yet you are painting 40K and Fallout! :-D

I think part of my problem with the facial figures is that the resin is soft and when I'm glueing the head down I don't do enough dry fitting and the glue weakens the facial figures when I'm sloppy with the glue.

Post subject: Re: Mapper - goblin conversions
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Just a couple conversions I made with the Moria goblins while I worked on the Moria gate.

I felt the Goblin King needed a royal guard.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:58 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I like those - They do have the look of a guard, and shows that even a simple conversion can really make your models unique!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks Slinky, I had enough Moria goblins on hand for me to think about how I could modify them. They are usually cheap enough on Ebay to get just to cut up.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:41 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I agree with Slinky, the ones with the spears look awesome and like they're guarding something! There's no denying that the Moria goblins look a bit too samey in their poses so a simple conversion like this really helps. If I ever paint a group of these up, I'll have to remember what you did here :yay:

Post subject: Re: Mapper - redid Dwarf Ranger bases
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Just a quick shot of my Dwarves that keep the roads safe. Redid the bases on my Dwarf Rangers to match my Iron Guard. The Rangers had been done to match my
Moria dwarves but with a semi looking outside look on the base. The bases didn't work inside Moria or outside, happier now with the look.

Ready now to ambush some Orcs!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:11 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Super work Mapper, registered to say thanks for sharing so much! I am thinking about making some Gondor fiefdom conversions, so I particularly enjoy the Harad border patrol. I've dug out my old LOTR models these months and have started getting back into the hobby after well over a decade.

I am wondering where the Gondor statues are from? I have seen them about but have never found out!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Tylus, thanks for taking the step to register to thank me, I appreciate it. I'm not the best painter or do the best work on this site (or others) but I enjoy what I do and don't mind sharing what I do hoping it inspires others to do better than what I can. Or not, it is just fun trying.

The statues I think you are referring to came from the old GW Ruins of Osgiliath set, hopefully they will sell them again at some point.

Looking forward to your conversions, just remember to use a sharp blade and cut away from yourself (and have band-aids handy). My wife always know when I have been doing conversion work, I usually come asking for a band-aid :D

Edit: if you don't have it already, White Dwarf had an article on the Fiefdoms of Gondor

DC Hobbit league has a copy.

https://www.dchobbitleague.com/best-of- ... dwarf.html
and then do the WD_Old_profiles(9MB).pdf link

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:22 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ah thanks for your kind reply. They seem to be re-releasing some scenery these days so fingers crossed!

Wow I had previously downloaded that pdf (along with all the others I could get my hands on) but never knew that they were inside! Thanks a bunch. I have been starting at the WOMT, Rohan, Rangers plastics to see how they could work out by mix-matching. I came across this video while searching for inspiration. It is for some computer game modding but their models look great and work well by swapping heads and arms in the SBG. May need to come up with some crests for the shields too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKoZyHw ... thofGondor

I'll try to open a thread to share moving forward, cheers!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:11 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

What an absolute treasure trove of a thread! Really impressive conversions and terrain! Any projects you're working on specifically at the moment?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Tylus - looking forward to your wip thread!

Voyager360 - in my head or on the worktable :D

I currently painting some Khazad Guard while waiting for GW to restock the Grim Hammers. I'm thinking if I want to extend my East Gate of Moria to a full board on my 2x3ft table. With that I am looking at doing another Durin's stone with the top broken off like in the book and having my other stone just be a dwarf wayside stone. I also have some Dwarf Kings I need to paint.

Looking at the pdf I recommended to Tylus, I remembered I have some wood elf warriors that I might convert like they show in the article to get ready when I have my next pumpkin stems to do something with.

I have another sheet of Minas Tirith mats that I have to paint, had to repaint my first one as they wouldn't match so doing two together now.

Problem with most of this is that I'm running quickly out of time where I can prime outside and I don't like the smell of spray paint inside the house, even well ventilated.

I'm sure I have other projects in the back of my mind but that is all I can currently think of. :-D

Post subject: Re: Mapper - Durin's stone
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Durin's Stone marks the spot where Durin first looked in the Kheled-zâram (Mirrormere in the common tongue)

From the LOTRO wiki (https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Durin%27s_Stone)
this was etched into the stone

"Here in Azanulbizar Deathless Durin first gazed into the waters of Kheled-zâram."

Taking the Dwarvish runes, I etched them unto blocks of plaster of paris, then weathered the column, breaking the top with a pair of pliers.

I didn't want to break the front too much, it was a lot of trouble to do the dwarvish :-D

One project taken off my list.

Post subject: Re: Mapper - Durin's Stone
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:50 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

This came out really nicely! Come to think of it, I haven't seen many people attempt something like this which is a shame considering its historical importance in LOTR. You did a great job carving out those runes and the back looks nice as well. Its all very realistic looking and should go nicely with your other Moria terrain you've been working on.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks! The Dwarf runes would have been sharper to begin with if I has used a harder product vs plaster of paris to etch them into. Some of the runes are very fine and chipped together when I was doing them. Since it was supposed to be weathered I didn't worry about it too much.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Very nice!
 Post subject: Re: Mapper - Just pictures
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Mindless weekend watching sports and Netflix - caught up on some mindless drybrushing.

I had bought a second large pebble mat from Michael's and had spray painted them both flat black. Spent time just drybrushing grey, then some green and brown on them. The two mats cover a card table 3ft by 3ft.

Of course had to put some buildings on it.

And then some figures.

Forgot to get out my siege towers :(

A brave but futile shield wall

Watched Barbarians on Netflix (German production, dubbing does not match closed captioning) about the German tribes defeat of Romans in the Teutoburg Forest. Battle in the sixth episode started out ok, quickly turned into typical cinema rubbish.

But, since I had my orcs out and had a card table set up...

Orcs instead of German tribes attacking a Roman Century in the forest.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 36  Next