All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:06 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 44  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:14 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

maybe he's turned his efforts to capturing the one ring of George Bush.....

i would be willing to do it, even though i'm not a mod, i am on regularly...

tell me what you think....

Post subject: The Future of the CTD (Curunírs Two "P")
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:12 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hej Everyone!

First off, I'm very sorry that I dropped the ball on this. My bad.

I've received a few PM's and an email from awcho which prompted me to pop in and say thanks for your concern, I'm currently alive and kicking but extremely busy and have no time for LOTR or OR at the moment :-(

Thank you to all of you for helping to keep the CTD a part of OR and I hope that you will all take the initiative to work out a way to keep it going.

At this point I can only suggest that if you like the format that Thrór created (and I attempted to maintain) then feel free to continue with it. I will do my best to keep the INDEX up to date.

If someone out there in OR land has another idea or would like to start fresh then go for it. Sometimes things simply run their course and it might be best to come up with a new approach or a fresh start.

At any rate it's been fun discussing tactics with you all and I hope to have some time in the not too distant future to do it again.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:44 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Heres a new topic ive been thinking about for a while... what can kill its point back in models??
Now im talking dragons, mumakils etc.
I was thinking wat stuff costing 350pts could take down a dragon??
heaps of men?? or maybe somthing else... ive ponderd this, and come to only one conlusion.

A Mumakil is an easier option, I can kill it pretty good w/ legolas with elvish cloak. Or you can just shoot at him with lots of guys... king of the dead etc.

Hope this topic is ok :D
Be good to hear from u soon!!!!

[center]Image[/center]
[h2][/h2]
The current host is Woodland-Creature and the current topic is...
"what can get it's points value back"

Topic Description: Everyone has a favorite model, but which ones can hold there own (Points Value wise) and stay in long enough to make the points cost "profitable".

Woodland-Creature wrote:
Heres a new topic i've been thinking about for a while... what can kill its point back in models??
Now i'm talking dragons, mumakils etc. I was thinking what stuff costing 350pts could take down a dragon?? heaps of men?? or maybe something else...

[h2][/h2]
The Continuous Tactical Discussion Thread (CTD) has changed to a rotating host/subject format. New Topics will now be suggested by active members, and the role of Host will be the responsibility of the person in charge of the New Topic. If you are interested in hosting a subject, please sign up by replying in the HOST/TOPIC LIST thread.

Happy discussions!

Last edited by Woodland-Creature on Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

alright, "what can get it's points value back" is the new topic.

my thought's, any normal infantry could.but, bigger models....

cave trolls, i'm not sure, as they have no armour, and take longer to get into combat, unless they hang around with the balrog. i suppose it just depends how wisely you use your models. if you get a troll to just stand back and chuck rocks the whole time, you won't get far....

that's how i see it, and if anyone else has anything to add, just shout out... it looks like we need to take things into our own hands, as brightlance said...

rock on

doopy 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:59 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

come on all, everyone agreed that it would be beneficial to everybody to continue this post!

we need contibutors and/or an overall leader! who wants to volunteer?

rock on

doopy 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well, since there's no other topic proposed yet I don't mind talking more on the one tried earlier.

Although perhaps not "killing" their equivilant point value, I can say that when I use my Isengard Troll he either kills and/or ties up his point value in other models. He is an effective killing model and has a very high defense. These two together have often meant that my opponent throws a Hero, or a few "Bodyguards", some regular troops and spear-support against it. If the Fight rolls go in my favor I can often kill two models per turn. But even if I loose the Fight it still means there are large numbers of Good models tied up with my Troll that would otherwise be attacking my Uruks.

Similarly, if I'm using him and my enemy fires any Volley shots, I can assign up to three of mine to the Troll. The high defense means most Good models need to roll 6/4 to Wound so often the shots have no result. It's risky but often better than the risk of loss to other models.

Although I haven't played with it yet, I believe the Spider Queen is another model with a great chance of taking out at least it's own point value in enemies. A very cost-effective killing machine if used right.

As for BIG models, a Dragon with Tough Hide (and almost any other option) probably has a great chance of staying in the game long enough to turn a profit. It's just with these high-point models you run the risk of loosing them to Courage since your army may be more easily Broken.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:44 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

thank you beowulf... anyone else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

As an individual unit, the Isengard Troll has always contributed well to my battles. Not only does he soak up a load of arrows, he packs quite a punch and helps draw your opponent away from the uruk hai phalanx that is converging on the enemy.

As for tactical formations, the phalanx of pikes associated with the Uruk Hai, Easterlings and men-at-arms of Dol Amroth are my favourite way of simply crushing your opponent into submission. 3 attacks is a sure way of flattening endless numbers of enemy troops - especially with the high fight value of Uruk Hai. A 1/2 chance of rolling a 6 that only elves and dwarves can contest easily wins battles. Another variant in objective based games would be to block key areas of the terrain with pike walls. In all cases, strong flank protection is necessary - beserkers are great for Uruks and Koda (on foot) are really good at anchoring a Dol Amroth Line. To some extent I would say that these rules apply to dwarf vault wardens as they operate in a similar method to traditional pike warfare.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

OK, I'm officially back, at least for the time being. I've updated the index. I'm happy to help organize the host/topics if everyone is happy with the format.

On another note...

josephaghababa wrote:
If there was a separate 'Tactical discussion' forum alongside the 'gaming tactics and house rules' section, which contained smaller threads dedicated to each discussion subject, I would very much support the idea (especially if it were ordered alphabetically for easy searching but with the current discussion as a sticky). I do agree that the overall thread is slightly cluttered and jumbled but the index is always there. Of course without Curunir there is nobody to update the index so sooner or later the index will be outdated.

I like this idea. Anyone else?

Back to work...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

That'd be a nice idea, as we already have 33 pages on a single post devoted to it. I would second a seperate "Continuous Tactical Disscussion" forum anyday...so long as I can host again sometime soon... :wink:

April: 0/3 choices complete

Yearly total: 50/74 models done O.o
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:59 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I stated before that I find the thread to large and unwieldy to use effectively (even with the index). For me, I think it would be better to have each discussion as its own appropriately named thread.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Welcome back Curinir!

Anyone up for convincing the Balrog or Dag to let CTD have a separate forum? Is a polite request needed? Obviously I don't know about how the site runs, but since the Painting School Forum was closed is there any 'spare' bandwidth to hold CTD? I think that the format needs some breathing space...

That said I still think some structure needs to be maintained by a really regular (almost daily) member - to make sure topics are finished in good time and new ones are implemented.

Hopefully the issue will be resolved soon...

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

josephaghababa wrote:
Welcome back Curinir!

Cheers joe :)

The more I think about this the better I like it. I was just looking at the system that Brian came up with for the Feedback on Traders Forum and I think we could do something similar for Strategies and Tactics.

My thought is that Strategies and Tactics could be a seperate forum and that House Rules could be combined with the Official Rules Forum or be seperated completely into a new Forum.

By having a seperate Strategies and Tactics Forum, all of the Topics could be seperated into sperate threads and then each thread would be "continuous" meaning that anyone could revist a topic ay any time.

There would be no need for moderation, and if we keep to a simple format (again like the one used in Feedback on Traders Forum) the overall use and searchability would be increased. Heck I might even be convinced to maintain an Index. :)

Quote:
Anyone up for convincing the Balrog or Dag to let CTD have a separate forum? Is a polite request needed?

I'll ask DB and Dag to take a look at what we've been writing here, but if you all like the idea or have a different idea by all means send them a PM.

Quote:
That said I still think some structure needs to be maintained by a really regular (almost daily) member - to make sure topics are finished in good time and new ones are implemented.

Agreed. If we can convince the powers that be of the new forum format I think that the problem of a daily mod will be eliminated. The real challenge will be to keep it organised and get everyone else to maintain the format.

That's all for now, back to work...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:00 am 
Dark Lord of Moria
Dark Lord of Moria

First and foremaost, Welcome Back Curunír, its great to have you back !

I will most certainly look at your requests, but I am afarid I will have to leave it until mid January, as work is a total nightmare at this time of year and I just dont have the time to set it up.

If one of you wants to make a mental note and give me a 'nudge' at the time, I'd be happy to set things up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:58 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

welcome back Curunír (i dont know you, im knew but people seemed quite happy are you return)

in regards to the model getting his pointsworth back id say the Hasharin, his rerolls make him a massive killer. he can operate well against opposing troops extremely well and when hes backed up hes just unstobbable. again strong enemy heroes though he can fall quickly
(def. 4) but you tend to keep him away from the boromir/aragon types.

another model that is excellent for his points is the Mouth of Sauron his transfix and charge can take down some pretty expensive heroes. just for 75 points you get a good stand faster with decent fighting skills and decent magic.

hasharins watching you!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

DurinsBane wrote:
First and foremaost, Welcome Back Curunír, its great to have you back !
Cheers DB, it's good to be back.
DurinsBane wrote:
I will most certainly look at your requests, but I am afarid I will have to leave it until mid January, as work is a total nightmare at this time of year and I just dont have the time to set it up.
I don't think that any of us are in a terrible rush and I suspect that many will have more time after the holidays... at least I know I will :)

In the mean time we'll (and I mean that for everyone who has been a participant on this thread) put some thought into how to revise the thread and set up the new forum so that hopefully the transition will be smooth.

DurinsBane wrote:
If one of you wants to make a mental note and give me a 'nudge' at the time, I'd be happy to set things up.
Alright everyone, you heard it straight from the Balrogs mouth. Considering how big Balrogs are we'll all have to join in on the nudging! :lol:

In the meantime, let's wrap this topic up and move on to something new! If you have a suggestion, please send me a PM otherwise I have a few topics that I would like to look at.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

welcome back, mate!

PM sent, sometime in july/august, but i'll send another one just for good luck. ;)

i think joe's idea is great! if we can get this happening, it'd be awesome!

rock on

doopy 8)

Post subject: NEW TOPIC!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

[center]Image[/center]
[h2][/h2]
The current host is doop dude and the current topic is...
The Elven Twins; Tactics for Elladan and Elrohir

Topic Description: A tactical discussion about how best to use these two powerful heroes in battle.

[h2][/h2]
The Continuous Tactical Discussion Thread (CTD) has changed to a rotating host/subject format. New Topics will now be suggested by active members, and the role of Host will be the responsibility of the person in charge of the New Topic. If you are interested in hosting a subject, please sign up by replying in the HOST/TOPIC LIST thread.

Happy discussions!

Last edited by Curuní­r on Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:06 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

first of all, thanks for putting me up, mate ;)

right, let's get to it.

as everybody knows, there is a big difference between rangers of arnor and elven warriors. ellandan and elrohir can be included with both. i was wondering if you use them the same or different in either situation. consider these few questions to help your mind get ticking.

1. When equipped with heavy armor, which force do you slot them into? Both? or don't you take armor at all? how does heavy armor effect your tactics, if it does?
2. same as above, but equipped with elf bows.
3. Do you use them as killing machines, or hold them back for a more specific use, like as leaders of archery formations?

so, yeah, once again, thanks curunir, and hope you all enjoy this topic

rock on

doopy 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:13 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

doop dude wrote:
first of all, thanks for putting me up, mate ;)

No problem, thank you for volunteering. Hmmm, this topic doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast. :( Let's see if we can't give it a kick in the rear! :twisted:
doop dude wrote:
as everybody knows, there is a big difference between rangers of arnor and elven warriors. ellandan and elrohir can be included with both. i was wondering if you use them the same or different in either situation.

If I understand you correctly, we are looking for suggested tactical uses of Ellandan and Elrohir (E&E) as part of a larger force. Why don't we start with their strengths and weaknesses as Heroes first and then put them in hypothetical Army list to see how they might affect the list.

So how about it everyone, what do you consider E&E's strengths and weaknesses as Heroes. How do you think those abilities affect their roles in a given Army?

P.S. I know everyone is busy with the holidays so why don't we let this topic ride for a while... that said I'm keep my Palantir open to keep an eye on some of you! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 44  Next