All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:16 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 44  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hmm... digging up dead topics? Call the mort please... :P
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Seriously, where is Thror? This great thread really needs a new topic - perhaps someone should take matters into their own hands?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:14 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

If it takes a newbie to get things rolling..... :D

Thor can bite my head off later if he wants, but this is a good source of information and should keep going IMO even if he ain't around. The next topic is The Army of the Dead.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:32 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

right...cool...ok...where to start. hmm well in my opinion i have never liked the conception of an Army of the Dead as it kind of goes against the book and film.ie. being unstoppable! For 15 points you get a reasonable fight and high defence but that is it. An army of berserkers could (excuse the slang) 'wuuuup their ass!' So your tactics behind the AotD really needs to be foil proof, or is it grease proof? lol well i dont know anyway heres how i go about it

W=Warrior
K=King

W WWWWWWWW W
W WWWKWWW W
W WWWWWW W

something along those lines anyway. My opinion is that no spear support equals large group. Plus the fact that there are no banners yet available or captains, keeping these in a tight group is essential especially when the 50% is breached.
Keep the King hidden until combat as he will be the no.1 enemy target from the start!
But a good thing about these is there ability to wound if they win their fight usually on a 3 for the king and a 4/5 for the warriors although elves and heroes are another matter!
The real downside to this army though is without aragorn, no heroic actions can be undertaken as their are no heroes available with might. The king has 3 fate and 6 will but no might (which i have never understood GW thinking behind)

so there is my thoughts and tactical advice though one other thing - DO NOT ONLY USE THE ARMY OF THE DEAD as i have never seen anyone using them, come off victorios in an equal points game
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:39 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Great Idea..now all that needs changing is the title...

Anyway, I think that the army of the dead are too powerful. The main weakness of evil is the lack of courage amongst their troops and the dead can simply cut through most orc/uruk hai formations.As Lorderkenbrand said, they cannot be used separately but as complement to a Gondor army or in a scenario otherwise their limiteded troop types will cause problems (Although GW is releasing 'riders of the dead').

Personally I think that they should have another special rule, one that requires the use of Aragorn in the force otherwise they cannot be used.

Well done for reviving the topic (Someone contact Thror!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:56 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

No, you could use AotD successfully on their own - though, I must admit, it would only work in small points games ~250. But that just makes them even more dangerous, as they essentially have the defense and 'hitting power' of Trolls at a fraction of the cost.

Quote:
Personally I think that they should have another special rule, one that requires the use of Aragorn in the force otherwise they cannot be used.

I always thought something similar, that if you want to ally with them you must include Aragorn in your force.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:10 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Deep under the earth in Moria but Woken up by Dwarf folk I prepare to reck vengence on all things
the army of the dead are about yousing other heros with large amounts of attacks to win the fight while the dead kill them

Gandalf,The Two Towers
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:34 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Might as well....

If the rest of you still don't mind, let's change the topic to something recent, Gûlavhar, the Terror of Arnor
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:02 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Alright then, I'll start it. Gûlavhar's pretty good, since he can fly, has insane Strength, resistant to magic, and can regain wounds. However, his courage is rather poor, he lacks Fate and, most importantly, a (relatively) weak defense. The key is to hit him at range with bowfire and to keep him from flying around to hit your backside. You'll actually want to send a high-powered fighter at him, since he gets weaker each time he loses a wound and can only regain his power by killing the model, not simply wounding it.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:47 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

There is no beating Gulavhar, I TELL YOU! :shock: :shock: :shock: I came up against him in a recent 500 point battle with mainly orcs and cave troll and few captains. I used the grey company including aragorn and halbarad. OMG in the first 5-6 turns he had called halbarad and 4 rangers of the north, not including the rangers of arnor that also perished. My knowlegde from this battle suggested that you must have at least 2 to 3 top heros OR and its a big OR... send in 1 warrior a turn, to hold him off while the rest of your force quickly mops up the rest of the evil army, by using heroic combats.etc.

If anyone has killed this giant busybody can they tell me how because im baffled... :?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:08 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

low defence = easy to kill with bowfire, especially for GC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:08 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Gulhaver is probably one of the coolest models ever, A "baby Balrog" as they say :P , put yeah, I heard he can be taken out by bows easily. ANd its been a few weeks since the last topic was tolded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:30 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

yesterdays paper wrote:
Gulhaver is probably one of the coolest models ever, A "baby Balrog" as they say :P , put yeah, I heard he can be taken out by bows easily. ANd its been a few weeks since the last topic was tolded.

More like a malnourished Balrog, but yeah, Gulhaver is rather easy to kill with bow fire, especially S3 bowfire. In my first game against him, my archers were able to put two wounds on him before he charged them, and when he finally got into close combat I had enough guys to finish him off (though it was absolutely funny watching him win a fight, try and wound an unarmored Elf and fail :lol: )

If you do get into CC with him, use a model with more then one wound; by his rules, he only gets back his own wounds when he kills a model, not when he causes a wound on them.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:11 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yeah, the defense is the main weak point. Nothing stomps out the joy of a just-purchased Guley like a hail of double Avenger Bolt Thrower fire (killing him basically outright). :twisted:

(Note to self: Never challenge staff with ABTx2 army ever again... doctor at the emergency room said it would be for the best...) :wink:

p.s. converted Gulhivar makes a great Demon Prince for Chaos...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:59 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Deep under the earth in Moria but Woken up by Dwarf folk I prepare to reck vengence on all things
long time no post

all i know about the gargorly lookin thing is that it regenerates health

please tell me what its stats are

because if it has low might you could win every battle with a borimir and aragorn and it wouldnt be getting any health

Gandalf,The Two Towers
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:39 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sigh, I don't have the supplement yet so, sorry, no comment.

On another note, if you would all like to continue with this thread (i.e. Continueous Tactical Discussions) I'll keep updating the Index. And if there is someone out there who is really burning to take it over, I suggest you write to one of our fiendly admins and ask them to let you start a Round Two or Version Two of this thread. At the moment it shouldn't be a problem to get the Admins to simply edit the content if there is a reason to.

Back to work...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:33 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

About Gûlavhar...
A while ago I played a battle with my brother.

Me using Gûlavhar, my brother using Dain, 3 dwarf bowmen, 3 khazad guards and 3 dwarfs with shields.
All the dwarfs were slaughtered and dain had only 1 wound left and me losing only 1 wound, wich means 3 attacks.
Easy I thought, but noooo...Dain wins the fight and cuts Gûlavhar into pieces with 1 mighty blow :evil: ...no fate :cry:

So he isn't unbeatable in fights.

Amarthadan

Last edited by Amarthadan on Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:41 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The key to using him, it seems, is the same as the blitzkrieg; hit hard and fast at the enemy's weakpoint, and move fast enough that they can't react to you in time. Throwing Gûlavhar at a major hero is a very risky gamble; if you win you have the stats to bring them down in a single round of combat, but then again so do they, and the longer the fight lasts the weaker you can get.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I picture using Gûlavhar very similar to how you may employ Kamul. Each of these are powerful units that thrive on the killing of other models.

My thought would be to avoid engaging any major heroes with him. Keep him protected from bowfire as long as possible (carefully use terrain and/or cover models) and close on the enemy. Then have him sweap thru lightly armored modesl ( bowmen, Rohan, etc. ).

I would also suggest keeping some of these "cheap kills" alive and availalbe. Don't make it obvious you are doing so of course. Then if he starts to get weakened, just swing on over, "fill up" on them and get back to business. Additionally, having some Bat Swarms assisting him would help a lot if you do try to take on a major Hero and would look pretty cool as well.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject: Note to all "Continuous Tactical Discussion" parti
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Note to all "Continuous Tactical Discussion" participants.

I've asked the mods to remove the "Topic of the moment" (which was Uruk-hai scouts) from the thread title and have come up with an idea of how to continue this thread.

Please read the thread Note to all "Continuous Tactical Discussion" participants and let me know what you think by replying in that thread (let's keep this one for "Continuous Tactical Discussions" :) )

Cheers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 44  Next