All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:14 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 44  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks Awcho!

In my 600 point army, I have almost entirely D3 models. Not easy, and it requires tactical thinking before every move. The Sentinels help this - they can help restrict enemy maneouvres, and make sure that mine pull off successfully every time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:45 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I can’t say that I know what elf or man flesh tastes like :shock: , but here are a couple more thoughts on the Sentinels.

In my mind the Sentinels really capture the style of the Wood Elves. I think it was in the Hobbit that the Mirkwood Elves were playing music which Thorin and company kept hearing in the forest. But each time they hurried towards the elves, the elves would seemingly disappear and then reappear further away.

In the game, the Sentinels can do something similar to enhance the Wood Elves’ ability to fight with subtlety or trickiness. If they are in cover, their elven cloaks prevent them from being shot at from a distance and also limit cavalry charges. If the enemy tries to chase them into the woods, the Sentinels can move away 6” per turn while most enemies won’t be able to catch them. So they can attack and then disappear if the odds are against them as long as there is enough wooded terrain.

Another thing the Sentinels could do is to draw an enemy hero or cavalry into the woods. It’s important to remember that cavalry only move at ¼ speed and they don’t get there charge bonus in the woods. So if there is a group of cavalry near some woods, a Sentinel can try to draw one cavalry into the woods. Then your opponent has to decide whether to sacrifice it or move more cavalry into the woods where they can really get bogged down. If your opponent doesn’t know the limits of cavalry in the woods, he or she could be in for a nasty surprise by those tricksy elves :lol:

I agree with Thror that Sentinels and Wood Elves do require a lot of tactical thinking before every move. You definitely can’t just charge head on. But that makes the game more interesting :D

I have some ideas about the cons of the Sentinels which I’ll try to post tomorrow since I have to get back to work.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:43 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks Awcho, Curunir and others for making this the best discussion in quite a while.

Sticking to the new topics, we will now discuss... Castellans
I'm not getting FotN until later this week, and I don't feel right making tactical comments based on a totally illegal program... Well, I'm not sure if it is or not, but...

Thror.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:26 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i cant reallly say anything on this because i haven't got the FOTN rule book

:(

Stefan :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:44 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

All i can say is, having a few heros with morgul blades can be very bad for your opponent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:02 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Can't Morgul Blades only be equipped with WK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:32 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Deep under the earth in Moria but Woken up by Dwarf folk I prepare to reck vengence on all things
I also do not have the rulebook so explian to us what castilions are please

If castilinons can get morgul blades big deal unless the enamy has a big hero

Gandalf,The Two Towers
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:59 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Gothmog Rulez! wrote:
Can't Morgul Blades only be equipped with WK

I have my copy of FOTN with me. Castellans may purchase Morgul blades to add to their weaponry.

There are things I like about the Castellans, such as their ability to use Will like Fate; but, for the most part, I hate them: They have Will, but are otherwise most decidedly not Heroes! No Might, no Fate, no Stand Fast!.... I suppose the points cost is fair, because their stats do make them demi-trolls, but it is wrong to call them Heroes and then make them non-Heroes. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well ok same defence as a Wraith? If so then their not really worth it only for the morgul blade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:49 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have used castellans a couple of times and all I can say is that when your opponents only hero is facing down a couple of morgul blades, it doesnt tend to tickle. For isntanc aragorn, 3 blades + Aragorn =no more king for men. But yeh the can be tricky to use, as far as I can tell its all about timing keep them away from the main line until you need them, and then hit the enemy en masse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Gothmog Rulez! wrote:
Well ok same defence as a Wraith?

Actually, no. They're 1 less.
And, since you only get 1 kill out of a MB, I have a hard time thinking they're worth the point cost anyway. (sorry about the quick topic change)
But, as I said before, it galls me that Castellans are Heroes that are not Heroes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:37 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think that they would probably be good for some of the FOTN scenarios where the Good side has lots of heroes and the Evil side has some Nazgul and/or the Necromancer along with the Castellans. That way the Nazgul or the Necromancer could Transfix the heroes and the Castellans might be able to slay them with the Morgul Blade.

But against a lot of regular troops they'll just run out of Will, and the Morgul Blade won't do any good.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:49 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Probably somewhere in the Northern wilds of Middle-Earth. Or sitting on a throne in Minas Tirith.
I have been led to believe that they are pretty good. I think that they are similar to pumped-up Ringwraiths.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:32 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Deep under the earth in Moria but Woken up by Dwarf folk I prepare to reck vengence on all things
nice avatar telcontar

Gandalf,The Two Towers
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Probably somewhere in the Northern wilds of Middle-Earth. Or sitting on a throne in Minas Tirith.
Thankyou. DB fixed it for me as I didn't know what to do in the foggiest. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:09 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Castellans are tricky cuz they can't face lots of troops and they are good in groups against heroes. u cant take 1 effectively and if u take more and they defend there hero or swamp your castellans you've wasted a lot of points. on the other hand, if they do get to attack a hero who's on his own, they can do A LOT of damage.

so its a risky choice but it can pay off big when your opponent hits 50%, looks around for for his heroes, only to find your castellans have taken them all out already

Wood elves, though, can pull them out of position (with sentinels) and then pincushion with everything they've got and no matter how many fate they have (12?) they can't survive that for too long.

so all in all theyre a bad choice in my opinion against certain armies but really good vs others, and u also have to know how to use them.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:13 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Mm, they are more like pumped-down Ringwraiths.

Next topic, much to the joy of Curunir, is Khamul the Easterling.
A VERY different kind of Wraith, what do you all think of him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:35 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Camel (sorry, Khamul :wink: ) is probably best taken on a Fellbeast. because that means he can have 3 or 4 Attacks on the charge, at Strength 6, that means he can comfortably spend his Will points without worrying too much. You should always take him on something that will increase his attacks when he charges, so then he will have more chance of regaining Will points.

He is most definitely good at the head of a wedge of Kataphracts though, because they have a most decisive charge.

Yay, first post on the new topic!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:31 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Gratz Telcon

*scavanges out SitE book*

The essence leech thing is very handy because if you go in to fight and you kill someone you can regain your point of might

Harbinger of evil rule is helpful if you have a tightly packed eneny you can remove one will off them helpful if they are already below full strength :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

:cry: i have absalutly no clue once agian except that khamul the easterling is the 2nd in command of the ringraiths

Gandalf,The Two Towers
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 44  Next