All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:59 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 44  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:07 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Probably somewhere in the Northern wilds of Middle-Earth. Or sitting on a throne in Minas Tirith.
Didn't quite understand what people were talking about in the last quote...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:54 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

@Telcontar: Do you mean the quote about the Mercenary Chieftain? It is simply correcting a mistake in the SitE Sourcebook.

If the Mercenary Chieftain had to roll a dice for every Mercenary in the force to determine if the Cheiftain shows up for the battle, then there is not much chance that Mercenary Chieftain would show up, is there? ;)

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:41 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Probably somewhere in the Northern wilds of Middle-Earth. Or sitting on a throne in Minas Tirith.
OH, ok. I see the light...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Deep under the earth in Moria but Woken up by Dwarf folk I prepare to reck vengence on all things
the problem of this conversation is that i half not gotten rule books since the main one came out i there for no nothing about the shadow in the east (except that it has Kamul the Easterling in it) or fall of the necromancer

Gandalf,The Two Towers
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

mathusala0 wrote:
the problem of this conversation is that i half not gotten rule books since the main one came out i there for no nothing about the shadow in the east (except that it has Kamul the Easterling in it) or fall of the necromancer

I see your point. It would be quite difficult to contribute to the discussion if you have no idea what the rest of us are jabbering about. :)

In short, the SitE book introduced an entirely new set of troops from Khand (the southern neighbor to Rhûn/Easterlings) with lots of cool troop types. The rules also give you the option of having Khandish Mercenaries (same minis, different paint scheme) a very unique concept for the game. They cost less points then the regular troops but have a special rule "Sellswords" which means that they might not actually show up to the battle. A risky chance.

Up to speed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Deep under the earth in Moria but Woken up by Dwarf folk I prepare to reck vengence on all things
i see i would just not bother with the extra fight value

Gandalf,The Two Towers
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:18 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Time for a new topic, so we will discuss Wood Elf Sentinels

Post subject: Wood Elf Sentinels
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:26 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I like the idea. They're the regular troop 'flipside' of the demi-hero idea we find with the Dunedain Ranger and the 'Lieutenant' and 'Sergeant' in Battle Companies. :wink:
If I had the time and money for a Wood Elf force/contingent, I would definitely get a few.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:34 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have found that the wood elf sentinels can be ridicoulusly annoying on the battle field, although having said that it does take some time to get the feel of how to use them effeciantly, they are perfectly suited to removing large threats, especially trolls. They send them wandering off while the rest of the force deas with the rest of the troops.
I would type more but I have to go ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ah, you penetrate to the heart of the matter, about which I know nothing!

All I can remember from glancing through the FotN book in GW is that they are rather pricey wildcards. I think... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

once agian failuer of suliment costs :cry: has left me cluless :? so could some one fill me in so I can give my critical two cents

Gandalf,The Two Towers
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:39 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

May I second that request, Mathusala? I'll second it anyway.

All I can say without having very much idea of what Sentinels are is about their hymn thingyummybobbys. These can be pretty useful (as far as I can remember) if you position the sentinels correctly. Isn't there something about one which does something to Courage tests? Very useful, considering the already high elf courage value.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

*Discreetly opens Army Builder program*

Um, how do I do this without actually saying any stats?
Fight and Shoot: Same as a normal Elf.
Strength: Same.
Defence: Same as a normal, unarmoured Wood Elf.
Attacks: As many as a Captain.
Wounds: Normal.
Courage: Normal.

The songs... Magical Powers, require no Will, and cannot be resisted.
"Hymn of Elbereth" means one model passes all Courage checks for the rest of the turn.
"Eldamar Madrigal" - Evil model has to take a Courage check or make a full move under the control of the Good player.
"Lay of Gondolin" - Sentinel causes Terror until end of turn.

Get it? *waits for correct reply* Gold Coin for the first correct reply!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:13 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

What correct reply? You mean the correct stats?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:25 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thrór Clawhammer wrote:
*Discreetly opens Army Builder program*

Um, how do I do this without actually saying any stats?

:lol: That was a prety good job and talking about the stats without posting the stats. Perhaps we should come up with a One-Ring codebook for stats? :lol:

Quote:
Get it? *waits for correct reply* Gold Coin for the first correct reply!!
Get what? Correct reply to what? Sorry Thrór you lost me on this one. :?

Once again it is difficult for me to comment; I've yet to use or play them in combat. Theoretically speaking I think they are great example of how GW is starting to think a little outside of the box to create more flexible troops that are more than the basic troops.

I'd be interested in hearing more first hand accounts about how well they work. I'm guessing that they might be just a little too new for some people to have actually purchased, painted and play them.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:44 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

*gives up*
The "Get it?" is a quote... And the response is "Got it."

I have 3 Sentinels in my (WIP) Wood Elf army. I haven't used it yet, but I'm planning to spread the three throughout the formation. With their songs, they can aid my army:
i.e: "Lay of Gondolin". Could be very very useful. Combine this with the control zones and some smartly used terrain, and one Sentinel has the capability to stop swarms of Goblins/Orcs from getting at the rest of my army.
"Eldamar Madrigal". Perfect for disrupting an attack by sending that Troll away from the front line... Or moving that Shaman so that the Goblins are out of Fury range :twisted:
"Hymn of Elbereth". I can't see all that much use for this power - in a high Courage army... I think this may be meant for might Heroes (3 Attack 3 Wound 3 M/W/F), to take down Trolls etc. Just in case they fail that check. I could use it with Gwaihir. But, my tactic will generally be to send Gwaihir ahead to wreak havoc by himself, so the Sentinels may not be in a position to use this song.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:18 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thrór Clawhammer wrote:
*gives up*
The "Get it?" is a quote... And the response is "Got it."

Ohh, Got it :) (I recall we used to say something like this as in "Get it? Got it! Good." when I was a teenager...)

Concerning the first two "magical" powers, if I remember correctly they are ranged (12") so I wonder how well Sentinels hold up in combat (low Defense if I remember correctly... sorry for the guesswork, I'm on the road and don't have my books handy)

The Hymn could be very useful, especially in the case of having to fight so many Terrifying creatures such as those in the FotN.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:06 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

But, Thror, you could argue that 'Got it.' is the incorrect reply, because you could have been talking about the stats :lol:

One little problem about your using Eldamar Madrigal to move Shamans with Fury away from their main army: Shamans with the Fury power in effect pass all Courage tests! :x

The Hymn of Elbereth is probably meant to be used at half force. It means you can be absolutely assured that your warriors will fight on, etc. etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

well good job descriping the stats without but this leaves me white in shock at how you forgot the most important thing about just any modle

THE POINTS VALUE :evil: :evil: :evil:

for if they cost 55points to play than i would not field them but anywere under 20 i would get a couple

Gandalf,The Two Towers
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

mathusala0 wrote:
well good job descriping the stats without but this leaves me white in shock at how you forgot the most important thing about just any modle

THE POINTS VALUE :evil: :evil: :evil:

:lol: in other words, you want your cake and you want to it as well. OK...

Sentinels cost 25 pts. each and come in a blister of 3 and many of the scenarios in FotN call for 3 Sentinels, which seems like a good number to field since they have 3 "magical" powers.

Cheers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 44  Next