All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:03 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 44  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:11 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Deep under the earth in Moria but Woken up by Dwarf folk I prepare to reck vengence on all things
oops :oops: :oops:

Gandalf,The Two Towers
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:26 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey Thrór, how about wrapping this subject up and moving to the next one. I'd like to discuss the tactical evaluations of some of the new things that have come out over the last few months.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:51 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

You mean I haven't done this yet? Oops...
OK, the last few months... So that would be SitE and FotN...
Ok then, I can do that.
Khandish Mercenaries
The Sellswords rule of these models makes them a bit of a risk to field - but is it worth their superior fighting skill?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Probably somewhere in the Northern wilds of Middle-Earth. Or sitting on a throne in Minas Tirith.
I think it would be. If you field a group of 9-10 of them, then you can benefit from their superior Fight, have enough points left over for a decent sized army, and also have enough of them to counter the Sellswords rule to an extent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:30 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Great topic, mostly because I haven't used my Khandish troops yet and have not had a chance to try this rule out.

Hmmm, with a 1 in 6 chance that they are not going to show, it sounds risky, but the F4 would be a real help. I would think that you could take a chance by including a few of them in your force and just hope that you beat the odds. By having them in among the other troops, their higher fight skills would come in handy.

I doubt that I would use them in a tournament situation (or a game that I thought might be a tough one to win) but it would be fun to try them out.

The Chieftain and Horseman have the same rule, and I've just noticed that the Horsemen are two points cheaper than the regular Khandish troops, still the risk of not having your Chieftain show up, and thus losing out on his points seems a might risky to me.

Has anyone used mercenaries in battle yet? Did they seem to make a difference?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:44 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Some day, I intend to make a list entirely of mercenaries. 'twould be a bit irritating if none of them showed though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:52 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Probably somewhere in the Northern wilds of Middle-Earth. Or sitting on a throne in Minas Tirith.
Would be the funniest thing I have ever seen in one of our games though. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:23 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Great topic, I personnaly havent used the Khandish Mercs. but I can only pressume that a squad of 12 would, numerically speaking have two missing, and I would like to think that the additional +1F would be very usefull for out classing the average rank and file. Has anyone actually used them in battle? I would love to see how they fare against gondor and elves respectively as I find these two armies rather differant in strategy so we can see what they can do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:42 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I acually played a guy who used about 15 mercinaries along with some easterlings. I was using my goblins so i already had him outnumbered but the addition of 5 mercinaries was a great help. Gaining a few men with 2 handed weapons can be good to support a fight.

Khandish mercinaries are cheaper yes but i think the number of guys you lose usually balances it out to where you have the same amount of points if you took regular Khandish troops. I might use some in my Mordor army but i would never acually make a large army of them. The risk of having your chieftain and small portion of your army fighting against you isnt somethig i like seeing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:04 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Is that how the rule works? From memory, one a roll of 1 the model doesn't turn up for the fight- but they don't fight for the enemy do they?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:12 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

no the mercenaries which roll a one on their "sell swords" rule dont jump ship and fight for the other side. It just meens they dont appear on the battlefield on either side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:30 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yeah, you are right. However, it would add an interesting tactical challenge if they did swap sides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:31 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yes thats the rule but the senarios me and some friends use, they switch sides. Sorry i forgot to mention that :roll: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:35 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I like the idea of playing with that rule. maybe we should try it, Thror, when I get some Khandish Mercenaries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:43 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

JayLikesSkaven wrote:
Yes thats the rule but the senarios me and some friends use, they switch sides. Sorry i forgot to mention that :roll: .

That is a very interesting rule and one that could be used in other scenarios/situations for other troops. I'm thinking about the Dunlenders who fought against Rohan, who after the Battle of Helm's Deep pledged never to attack Rohan again. Could be a very cool rule.

The "Sellswords" as it is could also be used for other troops (good or evil), but I think the "mercernary" troops should have their stats adjusted, maybe knock a point off their points value. They may be cheaper for the initial cost, but you will lose a few before they hit the battle field so they will effectively cost more.
Droznha wrote:
I would love to see how they fare against gondor and elves respectively as I find these two armies rather differant in strategy so we can see what they can do.

Yes, it would be cool to hear some reports about how well they have done in battle. Theoretically speaking, they would have an advantage against normal troops from Rohan, Gondor, etc. but against elves and their F5?

Interesting, I just compared the stats of a Khand Mercenary to an Elf Warrior. Both cost 7 points, but look at the difference in stats!

Back to work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:25 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Actually, I don't think that there is much difference. Khandish Mercenaries have 1 points less Fight, but 1 point more defence. I think that it actually works out about even.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:01 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Telcontar wrote:
Actually, I don't think that there is much difference. Khandish Mercenaries have 1 points less Fight, but 1 point more defence. I think that it actually works out about even.

That's what I thought at first (aside from the fact that the elf has no war gear. But elves have +1 better shooting, and +3 better in courage!

It's bad enough that they have the sellsword rule, why penalize them more with low courage? I suppose because they are there to make a "buck" (or whatever it is that they make in Khand) so if things go bad, they don't care. :lol:

Back to work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:45 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Indeed, I find the Courage quite justified: Imagine. They aren't fighting for honour or valour, or because they are terrified of their masters. They are fighting because they are being paid, and so if they come up against a hue, terrifying creature, or the force starts to die out... They're less likely to stick around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:10 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Good points, Curunir and Thror. In which case, I think they should perhaps cost 6 points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Telcontar wrote:
Good points, Curunir and Thror. In which case, I think they should perhaps cost 6 points.

I've thought this from the first time I looked at the source book, but then I went digging on the LOTR Forum FAQ and found this.

Quote:
Q – Is the points cost of Khandish Mercenaries correct ? The Khandish Mercenary Horseman costs two points less than the Khandish Horseman, yet a Khandish Mercenary costs exactly the same a a Khandish Warrior.

A – The points are correct.

A short answer but of course no explaination. :roll: Oh well.

Also, in case any of you had missed this (I sure did) there is a mistake in the Sellswords rule for the Mercenary Chieftain...

Quote:
Q – In the Khandish Mercenary Chieftain’s Sellswords special rule, it says that a dice should be rolled “for each Mercenary” in the force. Should it be “for each Mercenary Chieftain” in the force ? Otherwise it seems there’s not much chance of the Mercenary Chieftain turning up

A – Yes, it should say “rolls a dice for each Mercenary Chieftain in his force”.

Cheers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 44  Next