All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:10 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 44  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Probably somewhere in the Northern wilds of Middle-Earth. Or sitting on a throne in Minas Tirith.
Still skeptical of Volley Fire...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:23 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Telcontar wrote:
Still skeptical of Volley Fire...

Skeptical? Why? :)
Don't think you can make mysterious comments unnoticed... besides that is the whole idea of this thread! ;) So tell us why you are skeptical.

I find Thror and hithero's comments sum up the pro's and con's nicely. I've only ever used Volley Fire with the weaker bow units, so it would be interesting to hear a viewpoint from other strong bow Army players... I know that Thror mentioned that he uses Elves, anyone else?

Also has anyone noticed a difference in how effective (or ineffective) Volley Fire is since the rule change?

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:16 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I could be making a complete idiot of myself here but do you still need to have a spotter for Volley fire? If this is the case then
Russel Chieftain wrote:
he cowered in a corner, using the nothing but Volley Fire again and again and again, making most of the game volley fire and very little hand-to-hand combat!!

should become a case of take out his spotters and force him to come out of the corner?
Volley fire is all a pyschological battle, picking up a whole host of dice always makes your opponent nervous (a slightly underhand trick to use sometimes to to have different coloured dice, eg white and red, roll the correct number of red dice for your roll but add loads of un-used white dice just to panic your opponent. :twisted: )
If you look at the statistics as Thror pointed out the odds are against them actually killing very many of your troops, effective use of cover, killing the spotters (if this rule is still in place) should mean you can close with the archers easily. Once in combat you should then have the upper hand.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:32 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I think for volley fire, one of the most evil things to do is have either radagast or saruman, and use him as the spotter, as they have line of sight to any point of the field. But, as stated eirlier under the wizards category, wizards should only be used in smaller games.
I guess that means less enemies, so easier to kill them all before they get to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:30 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

OK, the CTD is alive!
Our new topic is a controversial one: Standard Bearers

Are they or are they not worth it? What size game would you consider fielding them in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:37 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Personally I only field them in 300 or more point battles and any from 100 up I would use two. This is mainly because I play Gondor more often than not and use a solid shield wall, mtd stndrd bearer behind lines so i can get him to where the fighting is most intense but because of the line of men infront of them the opposition cant shoot him. Not overly suffisticated but it helps. :wink:

Woot, first post for new subject :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:38 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Deep under the earth in Moria but Woken up by Dwarf folk I prepare to reck vengence on all things
I think that it realy depends on who your playing as, what your strategy is, what your forcs are, and who many points r u useing

1.if u r playing with five hundred or more points u should have at least a captian and a flag

2. if you are playing with 24 warriors and up you shoud have a captian and a flag

3. if you plan on fortifying your position on a brige, between two walls ect. you should always have a flag behind the second row of troops

4. if you are planning a calvery charge the flag is not worth it un less your entir army is calvory

5. ifyou are playing with more than 5 hundred points but less than 24 warriors (mumuk, trolls, Nazgul, ect.) you do not need a flag

thats about it! hop i could help :lol:

ps still sorry thor :oops: :cry: :oops: :cry:

Gandalf,The Two Towers
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Probably somewhere in the Northern wilds of Middle-Earth. Or sitting on a throne in Minas Tirith.
Knowing Thror, Mathusala0, I'd say as a fair guess he's forgiven you. I once squashed most of his Uruk-Hai pikes ( :oops: ), and he'd forgiven me within a day.

Now, sorry Curunir for not replying to your post, had neglected the OR for a while.

Banner Bearers can have a huge phsycological effect on your opponent, especially if you have both rolled low-scoring dice. Then the opponent gets all nervous, thinking that he might lose another soldier, and so on and so forth. Personally, I rarely field banners, because for their cost I can field at lest 3 standard troops, which mean more troops that the enemy has to take out, and more chance for me of winning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Providing you can keep them alive once combat starts, they are worth it, I took one with my 250 Hrad force last night against a Uruk force lead by Lurtz and the banner paid back its cost 3-fold at least - the Uruks were slaughtered.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:13 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Banners: I like concept, but I am also conscious that they look rather well on the battlefield and have to resist the urge to get more than one of them. The images from the LotR movies of armies on the march always showed banners of some description (ditto for Kingdom of Heaven and other sword fests).

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Banners can also provide a useful decoy, if you are willing to spend 30-60 points on a decoy. Because they look so imposing, the opponent begins to think that they might break the game, so, if you make sure they stand out, you can be sure that the opponent will probably direct most of his shooting towards them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:49 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

well i was very cautious about banners and didn't really consider them for my force until last night. i beat a 400pt mordor froce with 300pts of gondor including a banner which basically won me the game single handed
i am now totally changed around of the subject and will include one more often

you can actually have flags if you don't want an actual banner in your force but you want it to look like the movies. All of my gondorian spearsmen have flags on their spears even though they don't count as banners but look cool on the battlefield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I don't feel that I can contribute much to this discussion. On the few occasions that I have taken banners it has been with larger armies (500+) and on two occasions, that I can recall, they never got into combat, having been shot down before the lines were close enogh to engage. In general, I think they can be very helpful, giving you essetially one extra die per fight. I have learned to keep them as close as possible to a Captain, since the roll can be influenced with Might points. In addition, I've tried to place them in such a way that they can benefit as many fights as possible, but with only 3 inches to play with, that can be a challenge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:47 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Just think that Banner Bearers are really a [word deleted] nuisance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:40 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Telcontar wrote:
Just think that Banner Bearers are really a [word deleted] nuisance.

So "why" do you [word deleted] think that? ;)

Come on Telcontar, tell us what you really think!

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:05 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Didn't I tell you in my in-depth post on this topic? I have never actually had banners do anything for me. Oh, and I actually typed [word deleted], because I don't actually swear. I symbolise it instead. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Deep under the earth in Moria but Woken up by Dwarf folk I prepare to reck vengence on all things
i like the idea of banners being a diversion so i tried it it works well i played my easerling army vrs a army of rohan riders and they always shot for the A. weaker defence flag but then went strait for the group the had it the group was not larger or smaller than my other group and had the exact type of troops exept the flag instead of a spearman now he might have just thought that the flag was not as thetining as a spear men to calvory but the flag beat the charging calvory thanks to the reroles and slaughterd them

Gandalf,The Two Towers
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:57 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Eh? Are you saying my idea did or didn't work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:11 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

it did

Gandalf,The Two Towers
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:20 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

YAY! I was helpful! :D

Oh, and mathusala0, your sig should really be this:

From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak I fought the fell Balrog of Morgoth

Gandalf, The Two Towers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 44  Next