All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:12 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 44  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:09 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Who?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:22 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Valpas, sorry...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:16 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Probably somewhere in the Northern wilds of Middle-Earth. Or sitting on a throne in Minas Tirith.
Hmmmmm... Not Satisfied. I still think you're trying to confuse us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well that was a lively topic. New one is Aragorn the King He is definitely a mighty hero, but is he worth his massive investment in points?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:23 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

For sure!!

one word says it all for aragorn, Anduril!
anything falls to his sword on a 4+, need i say anymore?

also i studied the differences between aragron and aragorn king, and there are no change in stats, he is just given hearvy armour, and 5 pionts is added adcordingly. apart from that they are exactlly the same and have the same pionts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:17 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Aragorn is crazy...thats the main thing. Unlike most of the other heroes, this guy is a close combat machine. Not only can he take on 20 uruks single handedly(and win...trust me..i tried it myself) but the free might point he gains each turn, 3 fate points that keeps him alive for pretty much a whole game, and anduril wounding on 4+ he is a very good investment in any force.

buut, i really guess it does depend on which troops you choose to accompany him. While he is a game breaker, he can't beat everything single-handedly. I guess it depends on whether he uses anduril or not. Cause like...cause he's strength 4 he's normally wounding orcs on 4+ anyway so...i guess its also a matter of whether anduril is absolutely necessary
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:18 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Only ever useful in large games because the enemy will try and ignore him and kill off your other warriors to reach the 50% mark.

But in large games he is practically unstoppable, able to take on anything from moria goblins to mordor trolls, he is the strongest hero available to the good side.

Some would argue the WK on a fellbeast could bring him down, but with that much might, will and fate on his side he would ride any wringwraith into the dirt.

The best tactic to employ when facing aragorn is to ignore him and focus on weaker warriors, he only a man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Probably somewhere in the Northern wilds of Middle-Earth. Or sitting on a throne in Minas Tirith.
Aragorn the King is always worth it, but I wouldn't recommend him in anything less than 500 points, simply because he chews up too big a chunk of your points.

I still can't understand why people say the WK on FB would be able to beat him, because it is absolute rubbish.

When I'm facing Aragorn the King, I would generallly like to have a Troll on my side (or Primarch, lol...), or at the very least, some sort of Shaman. If you Transfix Aragorn, and then mob him, he will not last long. So keep him away from spellcasters.

But despite the fact that he will fall easily to a Troll, or a mob of Orcs once he is Transfixed, let me just say this:

THE THING IS A KILLING MACHINE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:36 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

:lol: I agree though, the only way to beat aragorn is to have a good spell caster on your side and a troll cheiftain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:44 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Aragorn is very good and when mounted on a horse nearly unstoppable but all it takes to beat him is a troll cheiftan so the way i use him is too take down weaker heroes like The mouth of Sauron and attack large amounts of orcs. I usually only take on a mordor troll or cheiftan with him is if Gandalf is near who i use to transfix the troll but he is just a wild killing machine that should be used as much as possible and looks nice too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hobbits are just funny. But can they actually stand up competitively? With the ability to absolutely swarm everybody, and access to alot of heroes, they have many advantages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

That is arguable, but they also have the most disadvantages of any army I have ever seen. To start with, no hobbit (or hobbit hero come to that) has a defence of more than 3, which means that there is now warrior that won't wound them on 4's. This can be a major drawback, because most hobbits also have low fight value. :?

Also, I would never, ever take hobbits to tournaments, because of the fifty model limit. The advantage of hobbits is that they can take alot of heroes and still be inside the fifty model limit. However, I still would never take the hobbits to a tournament.

At home, however, they can be a different matter. When I play at home, I generally never use the fifty model limit, so it would be a totally different matter. I could take Gandalf The Grey, a wealth of hobbit heroes, and still have the points for heaps of hobbit Shirriffs!!!

I think I have summed up their main advantages and disadvantages, for anybody who can be bothered reading this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:15 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

hobbits are the weakest troops by far,not to mention they have the weakest heros.i played a game recently against a hobbit army ,500pts of hobbit militia and 100 of archers vs 450pts of fighting uruk-hia and a ballista with captain and since hobbits are only good in a hoard when the ballista hit and i rolled well for my peircing shot roll i killed about 20 hobbits in one go.

Post subject: Hobbits
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:49 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well hey guys thanks for the upbeat message on Hobbits . I stand by Hobbits thru thick and even thicker so the cheery news that they are no good goes down well(lol well partly lol). Why do the Hobbits survive in pj's movie then ? they have all the Moria goblins attacking plus the cave troll, then there is Grishnak, the witch king thing. So is GW's points a fair thing? shouldn't they be upped by at least one point all round? :?:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

No. In the movie and the book, only one hobbit stood up to the WitchKing, and When in Moria they had the entire Fellowship defending them. The only little interesting thing about Hobbits in general, from a narrative point of view, is the fact that the tend to have a reserve of hidden Courage.

Maybe they should represent this in the game? You know, +10 Courage when attempting to charge a terrifying enemy?...lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:42 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Deep under the earth in Moria but Woken up by Dwarf folk I prepare to reck vengence on all things
hobbits are bab end of story

Gandalf,The Two Towers
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:13 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

No- I would like to say with all confidence that Hobbits are one of the best armies out there when used effectively.

We recently played a game at GW (had to borrow alot of Hobbits, even though I already have alot)- 50% bow armed Hobbits, no 50 model limit, and I absolutely slaughtered the Isengard opponent.

This was my list:

Gandalf the Grey on Horse.
Farmer Maggot and his dogs.
Paladin Took.

1 Hobbit Archer w/ signal horn.
24 Hobbit Archers.
24 Hobbit Militia.
12 Hobbit Shirriffs.

Without sounding to childish (I hope), I would like to say that I pwned.

My hobbits archers hitting on 3's and killing most things on sixes, took out alot of the force before it got there.

Then my Gandalf managed to pull off a few spells, charge and take out the captains, and hey presto- only regular Uruks left.

The rest was just weight of numbers, and trust me, approx. 60 models against 20 isgreat fun.

I know the original discussion was about hobbits, and hobbits are good themselves, but Hobbit armies are very good if used effectively.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:52 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think that Hobbits are a great 'club' army. eg in a home or club environment they are a lot of fun to play with (relaxing the 50 models max rule) and allow a break from usual tactics.

For tournements urgh!, I will take a lot of practice and a big slice of luck for them to have any real impact on a tournement.
The limitations on them are just to great. But the look on your opponents face when (rather if) you beat him would really be worth it.

The problems with tournements is you often get far too many people max'ing out their armies to 'get the win' rather than creating a fun and enjoyable game. If more people started to go to these events to enjoy them rather than win at all costs then the lowly hobbit army may make a break through.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:08 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

A reply to Telcontar, about the Moria fight, the Fellowship were fighting off goblins on oneside of the chamber and the Hobbits charged as a pack after the big guys Aragorn Boromir and Legolas were engaged with the horde of goblins mobbing them. That leaves the Hobbits(no matter how good the others are fighting by themselves for significant seconds. And it doesn't take into account the arrows being fired. And at the Amon hen seeing stone fight Merry and Pippin kill one or two Uruks before being carted off , does the rules reflect this ....? I don't think so. :D
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

WOW!!! One or 2 Uruks, lol... ok, i concede.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 44  Next