All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:16 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 44  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Mordor can't take spear and shield. Ther is no rule against it, but the lack of shields on the Orc models would seem to indicate they weren't meant to be fielded that way.

And why would you field high elves without shields? D5 :?

And the new topic is... Take and Hold What tactics do you use when playing this scenario?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:05 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well, I like playing my 5 troll army, thus I have them charge up in cover, then have 2 stand on the marker, possibly a 3rd if I feel it is needed, while the remaining trolls move round one of the flanks to hit the enemy, and hold them off till time is up (if turn based scenario), or kill the weaker troops if it requires certain amount of deaths before amount near marker is counted

I hope that the trolls terror can hold off a large amount of the enemy charge at the trolls at the marker, and that their large bases can prevent the opponent getting into the zone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Probably somewhere in the Northern wilds of Middle-Earth. Or sitting on a throne in Minas Tirith.
Cough.

That army would ont be accepted in a tournie, because there is a 2 troll limit, lol...

However, I would like to ask a question... what do your opponents faces look like when you deploy your 5 trolls? You should take a picture, rofl.

But back to the topic at hand. Generally, in Take and Hold, I love playing with the good ol' Orcs. basically, I simply get so many Orcs that my reserve rolls are going to have to turn up trumps, and hotfoot it into the centre of the table. Another rewarding thing, when playing with a Mordor army, is that you can simply stick so many orcs around the objective that the enemy simply cannot get into the 3" area, and when they try to throw my Orcs outte there with a massed charge, I can simply take so many Orcs that I can outnumber the pesky good side 5 to 1. Ain't no valiant warrior escaping from that one. Rock on Mordor!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:31 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well, I only played my friends, and they were all used to my 5 troll army, so there faces weren't so shocked

And I have never been to a tornament, so i wouldn't know the rules
(No GW in China :cry: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Probably somewhere in the Northern wilds of Middle-Earth. Or sitting on a throne in Minas Tirith.
Whoops. Sorry, did I touch on a sore point there, or is the crying smilie just fore effect?

It's just that if I went into Games Workshop with a 5 troll army I would
a) not be allowed to play with it
b) kicked out instantly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:58 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The face is for effect

Why would you be kicked out? 5 trolls is fiarly expensive, thus you would be a good customer, so the staff can't really kick you out, it is only the other players. And why should you have to listen to them with there inferior trollless armies?
Unless they play elves, then listen. Elves are cool!
And so are undead. Although they are more cold due to having been in the ground for a while

And back on topic... :oops:

And haven't you every fought the balrog or Saroun, it is just like that except on a smaller scale.
It is the challenge that makes it fun to play with and against

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:58 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

5 troll armies are fine i played a staff member and he didnt et kicked out.

Anyway on take and hold i usualy use dwarves because they have high defense 6 khazad gaurd and a heo works with the rest attacking flanlks

Post subject: it depends
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Deep under the earth in Moria but Woken up by Dwarf folk I prepare to reck vengence on all things
Isengaurd: if u r useing isengaurd stock up on beserks and wargs (yes wargs) u can get to the ubjective and hold it with the wargs while the beserks catch up then send the wargs to harras the enamy and use the beserks to hold the ubjective

Moria: if u r playing moria always take two trolls and a shamen and everthing else goblins use the cave trolls to take the object and hold it whill the slower goblins catch up have the shamen cast fury and move him where the enemy launches the most of his troops

Dwarfs: kazad gaurd, archers, and a hero or two use the archers to keep the enemy off the objective since the dwarfs are so slow but sind in all your kazad gaurd/hero in right a way when u get there hold it with normal tactics

Elfs: archers and speamen with a few sowrdsmen as point fillersget the archers to the thing at all costs so u can shout the oncoming enemy

Gondor: use knights of DL on horse to get to the hill and hold it until u can catch up with the rest of your foce chose only high defence for gondor because its realy all it has to offer u

Mordor: same tactics as goblins

Rohan: use a mounted hero with some mounted royal gaurds and claim the area with these units while useing RoR to keep the enemy ocupied

Harad: use mumuk and just kill the enamy while useing a king (on horse) and a few raiders to get the objective need I say more

hobbits/ruffions: u can't do take and hold missions with hobbits/ruffions they're just to weak

easterlings: same tactics as gondor when the "shodow in the east" comes out (yes :D)

khand: same as rohan ecept use charites insted of royal gaurd

Thats it I think :)

Gandalf,The Two Towers
 Post subject: okay sorry thor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Deep under the earth in Moria but Woken up by Dwarf folk I prepare to reck vengence on all things
sorry thor but it realy is time for a new topic so u can be mad latter

this weeks topic is .... WIZERDS are they worth there realy high points cost :wink: or are they just luxires that carry staffs :(

Gandalf,The Two Towers
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Just a note, you can have as many Trolls as you like in the UKGT this year, so a 5 Troll army is perfectly acceptable. There was one in 2004 GT - it was rubbish.

Wizards; their worth depends on what you are fighting. If the enemy has strong heroes such as Mordor Troll or Boromir then wizards are worth their weight in gold to cast transfix etc. Against hoard armies, they are usless as they are likely to end up in combat all to often, to be able to use their magic effectively.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:31 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Firstly, I'd like to cover my tracks by saying I've been on holiday the last few weeks, and so haven't been able to access the net.

The new topic is Cornered. Having played this scenario several times myself, I can say from experience that it almost always generates an exciting finish. But, it is a difficult scenario for both sides, and requires fairly advanced tactics to guarantee a win.

So what are the tactics of everyone out there?

Post subject: sorry
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

First off I'm sorry Thor for taking your job for a week or so

but as for the topic witch book is cornerd from

Gandalf,The Two Towers
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:05 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Cornered is under Battle Scenarios in the new rules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:29 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Not everyone may have the latest Rulebook so maybe a brief (to dodge copyright ) outline of the scenario may help others to give their opinions on their tactics.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I got the rulebook and I think it is to easy for good since all they have to do is get to the hero/unit and kill him

Gandalf,The Two Towers
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:00 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

What Nygyll really means is that you should have posted a bried outline of the scenario so that we who read OR at work instead of really working could also discuss this... ;)

Briefly: the Evil player divides his forces in two groups. Good player picks one of the groups and the Evil player then deploys that on the middle of the board. Good player deploys all his forces around the Evil force and tries to prevent the highest points cost Evil model from escaping the board.

I have played this scenario only twice but won both games. The board had five open routes between ridges away from the centre, making the deployment and first moves crucial.

First game was with Rohan versus Mordor. Evil had Mordor Troll, uruks and orc trackers and I had a mixed force of warriors and riders. I set the warriors as close to the enemy as possible and the riders on an outer rim. The idea was to shield with warriors in whatever direction the enemy chose to try until I could bring all my force against him. The Troll and Uruks walked over my warriors but they were slowed enough so that I could tie them up with other warriors and hit them with riders from the other side. I killed the Uruk Captain and was very happy that I had won. Then my opponent pointed to his troll and smiled. I cursed and killed the troll too. :)

In the other game with my Evil Isengard force I divided it so that I had a troop of Warg Riders and orcs and another of Uruk-hai. My opponent chose the Uruk force and went after the Uruk Captain with his dwarf force. I made a feint move towards one opening and then hit for another opening when he had started moving his troops to where he thought I would try through. I had some luck and punched through dwarf bowmen. I left a couple of Uruks as a rearguard shielding like maniacs and raced to the table edge. For my warg rider force I had planned to use the "Heroic Combat catapult" with Sharku to possibly move him 20" during one turn.

So, I found useful to:

1. Keep the objective in mind. Don't go after the wrong model. ;)

2. Plan how to divide your Evil troops in advance and plan a strategy for both halves.

3. Delaying by shielding was a key to success.

-- Pasi
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:48 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

yous nazgul on fellbeasts

Gandalf,The Two Towers
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:55 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey. hold up there!!! The Good player chooses the forces, not the Evil Player.

Firstly, I would like to say that this scenario is one of the shoddiest I have ever encountered. Beacause the Evil player only gets half force, the Good side will then outnumber them and just run all over them. I played this scenario with Thror, he took Legolas, and simply stood there using Legolas's new Deadly Shot. I died pretty quickly. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ok its been a week and so the new topic is

Isengaurd how do you win with it or kill it

Gandalf,The Two Towers
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:36 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

to kill it.

Use lots of avengers.

Avengers kill everything.

Or lots of elfbowmen.

And with the Isengard trolls elf players will be using Gil-Galad regualry in games against Isengard.

on how to use them.

You want lots of Uruk-Hai.

massing on captains normal warriors and berserkers is the key.

Don't take anything else.

in 500pts i take 30 Uruks 20/w pike and 10/w shield

Then i get 2 captains adn the rest berserkers.

adn watch them run everything down.

Isengard is practically the best army in evil.

And with Trolls people will most likel be starting Isengard and Elves.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 44  Next