All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:52 am

Post subject: Storm the camp
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:04 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Got storm the camp as the final scenario for an upcoming tournament and I've literally never looked at it lol. I may get a chance to play it once the weekend before but we'll see.
Thoughts experiences on how it plays out, good ways to go about it?

P
 Post subject: Re: Storm the camp
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well, remember to leave at least one model in your camp! Sounds obvious, but I've seen people not do that, then try running back at the end.

I think an a two hour, 700 points sort of game it's actually very hard in recon or storm the camp to get across the board (unless you have lots of cavalry or fell-beasts etc.) You have to try really quite hard, and use heroic march etc. to make it across in time ... (or do my games just go slowly?)

Leaving some archers/crossbows/bolt-thrower in your camp is nice if you've got some.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:02 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi Polywags,
some years ago I played this scenario at a tournament. My army was Minas Tirith, all models on foot, my opponent's army consisted of orcs or hunter orcs (I'm not so sure anymore), and all on foot. So movement was equally fast.

the greater number was an Advantage, because one has to split the army in a - smaller - group remaining in the camp and the rest trying to attack the other camp. If you have mounted or just faster models you should put them into the attacking group.

But if you have just dwarfs, goblins or Hobbits, you should consider playing a defence-only tactics.

If there is enough terrain on the board, blocking the other army at some narrow spots could be useful.

I did win the game then, and the Terrain was helpful to gain a victory. It was a fully sculpted landscape, depicting Part Galen, and consisting of two levels. From the opper part there were some paths and stairs leading down to the lower part, and These were point which could be blocked. And in my Minas Tirith army I had enough models for my camp, for some blocking troops and for an attacking force.

Maybe this is helpful for you.
Good luck, and please post a report, how your game went.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:33 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks, interesting stuff. We'll see not for a couple weeks but i will do.

Thats kind of along the lines of what I was thinking. I feel like I never get across the board for recon, which is why I was worried/curious about this one too.

As always, i imagine it depends a lot on what youve brought and what your opponent has too.

Three groups makes a lot of sense to me too but i am sure you have to play it by reacting to your opponent to not get split and conversely you would want to pick fights where you can split your opponents forces. While trying to pick up the easy Vps for breaking, leader ect.

P