All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 pm

Post subject: Galadhrim vs Dwarves
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:08 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

What are the best tactics to use against Dwarves (Durins Folk) Using Galadhrim/wood elves
 Post subject: Re: Galadhrim vs Dwarves
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I guess shoot them, use your higher fight and shooting as well as spells. Thranduil or Galadriel should help a lot.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:33 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Dwarves form a battle line and come straight for you or hold a point on the ground with high defense. If you are going to shoot at them, you will need a ton of dice because of that high defense. Concentrate fire on a single model or two or don't shoot at all. Also, spread the board. Get those dwarves to come to you and get them to divide their forces. If those dwarves get close to you, they could chop up your elves very fast if they've got a nice battle line. I would try and get some spear support if close combat is going to happen. With Galadriel I would keep her behind the line. Use blinding light to counter shooting attacks against you. Use her immobilise or command against the dwarven heroes. Neutralize those heroes and jump on them with shooting and then multiple models in the fight phase. Use her might to call heroic moves and keep your models charging those heroes if you have to.

Paul R.
DCHL
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:35 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

One last thought....be patient against dwarves if using wood elves. I think the game would be a grind and take a while. It may take several turns to kill a hero. It's hard to be patient. If you jump in too fast, those dwarves can make quick work of you.
Paul
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:58 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

All great advice. I would say just remember the facts, D6 and D7 are on the same to wound so don't get drawn into trying to kill D8 heroes and the like by shooting at them. Your heroes with support are probably your best bet against such threats. You have access to cavalry where the dwarves don't (when pure Durin's folk) and also you have the ability to support so weight of attacks will help when lines meet. Concentrate fire on iron guard if you can as they fall easier and it removes a lot of attacks. Keep just out of their charge range so you can dictate when you want the fight to happen and who will fight.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Having played Dwarfs for years now, I can tell you what stops me doing what I want.

Use your speed to your advantage - maneuvrability is key (and remember they can't move much faster than your half move and shoot).

Pick your targets wisely - shoot at any rangers first (D5 is nice and easy for your bows), then focus on Khazad/Iron Guard. Khazads are S4, which will negate Galadhrim armour (if you have none, then treat them as Warriors with two-handed weapons). Iron Guard get two attacks, which makes them quite good against your low defence and more likely to win a fight (as well as being able to throw an axe at you if in range or they manage to charge you somehow). If these aren't options to your attacks at the time, focus on the warriors with shield - they use shielding to survive against outnumbering or multi-attacks.

Use magic to negate their heroes. The heroes are the real powerhouses of a Dwarf army and Will runs out fast for them against spellcasters with free Will each turn. As someone else mentioned, little bonuses such as Blinding Light or Nature's Wrath can really help to keep you alive.

Spear support - not only can you use spears to get two attacks to every one of theirs (which halfway forces them to shield), you can use them for shielding yourself (in a pinch).

Galadhrim won't need shields, unless you want to use them for shielding (in which case, just take a wood elf warrior with spear!). The D4 will help against their attacks (both combat and warriors with Dwarf Bows), but the shield bonus of D5 is fairly wasted on them (they're not going to Piercing Strike if they're wise and very little has S4 in their army (unless they go Khazad heavy, but you can focus shooting on that and shield against it with wood welf warrior using spears). Arguably, don't take the Galadhrim, with the exception of cavalry (extra maneuvrability, option for shooting or D5 against Khazad's, get +1A and knock down on charges, dictate what happens and where and can race for objectives).

Measure everything. Your shooting will either have greater range and accuracy or be higher strength - if the former, keep your opponent in that 6" sweet spot where possible (and move your half distance back if needs be - they move slower than you as well, so you can eventually decrease their shots compared to yours). Remember charge ranges - sit 5.5" away and they can't charge you, but you keep the option to charge them or they move out of position.

Lastly, good avice for any force - remember the victory conditions. If you need to kill them loads, do that. If you need to get off the board, run away (pick them off and make use of cavalry or Heroic Marches). You get the idea.