All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 pm

Post subject: Which Monsters can make their points back?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

As the title suggests, what's the opinion of the community as to which monsters can normally easily make their points back in games? What's the best tactics for using an all monster army? I'm going to say that we're ruling out Fell beasts because they are really powerful and are probably accepted as uncosted and so easily make their points back in a game.
 Post subject: Re: Which Monsters can make their points back?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:33 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Shelob, if the player knows how to use her. It's not easy, but a successful use of her will make her points back in no time. Unlike trolls she's fast and not hindered by terrain, and as long as you have a hero into a 6" radius from hero she'll be a pain to deal with.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:19 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

tree beard combined with tom makes a very tough fight for the enemy.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:37 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dweller in the Dark.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:08 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

You ask a great question. My first thought were trolls. That being said, if you face an army with 3 or 4 trolls, I'm not sure they will all make their points back in terms of wounds, but they sure can tie up or kill a warband. So from that point of view, they get back their points.

People with trolls really like it when you form a battle line with average troops and charge them. When the trolls win the fight, the troll will hurl your model down the line and knock everyone down. On the next turn after winning priority or with a heroic move, those trolls will charge again and do double strikes, hurl again or rend your mighty hero into two smaller pieces.
How do you play against trolls? Some thoughts worth considering so you know what people will do against you.

I recently played against an Army with 4 x trolls, a shade and a Wraith against my Isengard force with crossbows. I did not charge. If I had to, it was with a berserker and just that one model to tie up the troll. I spread the table really far apart. That prevented mass casualties from hurling and I could pick off his lesser forces (orcs) and get his army to break, fail courage tests and leave the table. See, that's a weakness of having multiple monsters on the board. You prob don't have a lot of other models and are likely to break faster than your opponent.

Ultimately, My advice is to charge your opponent with trolls if you are dealing with average forces and weak cavalry models. BTW, Cavalry models have a bigger base which means more models will knocked down during a hurl and those cavalry models get dismounted. Last, be mindful of your model count and break point.

Paul Rozumski
DCHL (DC Hobbit League)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:15 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

All monsters can depending on how you use them honestly.

If I had to pick the easiest....fell beast. Hardest..hhmmm thats a toughie for general ones. For Heroes, Gulavhar.....

Regular troop monster....probably ents. Theyre slow.