All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 pm

Post subject: Help on fighting Gundabad
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:00 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

My main two armies are "Isengard" and "Lothlorien and Mirkwood". Recently, my friend has started up a Gundabad army, using the Forgeworld models. So far they seem very good and hard to beat, so I was hoping someone has played against them, and has some good strategies to share.

Personally, I think so far one of the strategies I'd use is to keep your distance and shoot them, as the normal Gundabad Warrior has Defence 5. This is good for Elves and Uruks because of Strength 3/4 missile weapons. So for heroes I'd take Legolas in Elven armies, and Vrasku in Uruk armies.

Post subject: Re: Help on fighting Gundabad
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Never fought Gundabad, but they seem to play a lot like Mordor, but with no Magic. Shoot them, and then once you get to the CC, your higher Fight should help, especially with the Uruks Strength punching through his lines. Take either Saruman or Galadriel so you can Immobilise and kill his big heroes.
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Don’t forget the stormcallers. They can have a huge impact by preventing the big boys from fighting. If a troll or ogre gets into combat, you can blast them back. (The FAQ is a bit ambiguous on this, and could be interpreted as only knocked down, but even so it won’t do you any harm.) You can also use the wood elf sentinels to keep the big stuff away. Elf heroes and warriors should be able to handle everything else.

As a Gundabad player, I find they are a challenging army to use against a good player – especially against armies with a lot of tricks or magic like elves and Laketown. Without archers and magic, Gundabad has a hard time dictating the pace of the battle. I find myself totally reactionary to my opponent despite how powerful they are on paper. One model I can’t wait for is the giant bats since they are desperately needed as a substitute for the lack of archers, and cavalry.
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:11 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

How many points are you usually playing at?

Anyway, Isengard has everything needed to put a righteous fear of Morgoth into the Gundabad lines. Trolls and Big Heroes aside, your uruk will need 5s to wound , so a full warband of crossbows lead by Vrasku can be a nightmare (statistically speaking, 2 to 3 wounds each turn of shooting with no might involved). Saruman can deal with anything bigger than a Berseker, with Command on 3+ and Immobilize on 2+.

as for elves...well, Galadriel is the first pick, giver her ability to immobilize and compel. Nature's Wrath is good against everything, so if you have thranduil or a stormcaller you could use them
Thranduil also has Aura of Dismay, that may prevent some units to charge yours, something you could use to countercharge to have numbers on your side. Let's face it, if a Gundabad wins against a elf, the pointy eared guy is likely to go down, so you want to have numbers on your side. A banner will always be useful.

To make a long story short, magic or paramagic (sentinels) is the starting point, followed by archery. I would also consider cavalry, but neither Isengard nor Galadhrim have a very strong cavalry (usually I use Warg Riders as Anticavalry and I've never seen Galadhrim riders in a game)
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:34 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I would agree on taking a magic user, Gundabad players are likely going to want to use their big hitters like Azog, Bolg or the trolls. If you can prevent them from being used to full effect, it will help you a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:44 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks everyone for the help. All of this has been really useful. I agree on shooting and magic being useful so I will buy a few magic users for me army, as currently I don't have any magic for my Isengard, and for Elves I currently only have Elrond. Also I will get some crossbows for my army so thanks for that suggestion. I also have some Galadhrim cavalry but I haven't had chance to try them yet, but their horses have 12" move and Woodland Creature so they should be useful. However currently I cannot say a points cost for our battles as both my armies are still planned out to be quite small for now, whereas my friend's Gundabad army is going to be 2500+ pts (so I don't know what warbands he will bring for battles as he won't be able to bring his entire army).

Thanks again for the help everyone, I appreciate it very much.