All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 pm

Post subject: New Scenarios-Your opinion and shooting overpowered?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:52 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

https://warhammerworld.games-workshop.c ... narios.pdf

I dont know how many of you saw that, but those are the new Games Workshop scenarios starting out at the Warhammer World tournament next month.

Here's what I posted in another topic on the subject:

I dont know how many people realize the scenarios have changed in a very important way....

Heirlooms and Hold Ground still have the random deployment. But if you roll sufficiently or use might you can put your archers in position to hurt the opponent....

In addition ALL other scenarios let you deploy on your board edge if you so choose. Reconnoitre says the warbands come in from the board edge and the final three let you deploy 'within 24 inches of your table edge'.

That means elves, Knights of Rivendell, Rohan, x bows, all these units can sit in the back and spam shoot again. Arnor? Just got better. Rohan? better. Etc.

So what are your thoughts guys.

In my opinion, I still dont think the scenarios are balanced.

To the death-Whoevers harder to break has a better chance to win. People can make the argument more elite armies are harder to break, but by sheer numbers, horde armies are harder.
Lords of Battle-Definitely favors elite armies
Hold Ground-Favors more balanced armies with rounded warbands. Still may help either side depending on rolls. Final objective in middle strongly favors hordes.
Recon-Favors hordes.
Domination- Benefits larger armies because you can send more units in various locations or tie up your opponent to not make it there.
Herilooms-Largely depending on who uncovers the relic. I believe whoever finds this has a better chance to hold it.

It seems to me a few things have happened:
-Shooting just vastly improved(more turns of shooting if your opponent so chooses)
-Larger number armies just got some bonuses
-A little more randomness has been thrown into the game

Post subject: Re: New Scenarios-Your opinion and shooting overpowered?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:38 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I really like all of these. Independently, each one favors different types of armies, but when you step back and take a look at them as a set you start to see how balanced of an army you really need to take in order to succeed at a tournament. You can't just take numbers to auto-win, and you can't just take big heroes to do the same. The victory points spread out through all the scenarios force you to balance army composition.
I am very happy to see the "within 12" of the center line" deployment go away. I hated that with a passion. It made shooting much less valuable and brought the lines together too quickly for the nuanced maneuverability that traditional deployment does. The effect was particularly pronounced with the -1 movement penalty for shooting. Moving armies back towards the table edges balances that. Plus, for combat-heavy armies, some of the scenarios allow deployment at the center line, which keeps the cheese of all-shooting armies in check as well.

Overall this is a real step forward and is more balanced as a whole than the Warbands scenarios. It's the middle ground between the LoME and Warbands scenarios. "Hold Ground" used to have that random deployment. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I see why it could force you to diversify your army comp in a tournament.
I'm not convinced that horde armies necessarily would perform better than they currently do under the Warbands scenarios. Domination still requires bodies, and breaking your opponent has always been an objective in other scenarios.

As a whole I am really enthusiastic about these (and not just because I'm trying an all shooting army! haha)

These scenarios bring back the Move Phase in a big way, and that is a good thing if you ask me.
 Post subject: Re: New Scenarios-Your opinion and shooting overpowered?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

To begin with, those scenarios always made it possible for armies that blend troops together as a min-max (min what is not taking advantage of the wider context and max what takes advantage of it) to exploit certain scenario rules and/or list combinations. I mean that there are certain armies that get an almost auto-win in some scenarios. The armies that do this in the most scenarios are creating the current meta for each "rule season".

Also, if indeed there is an improvement in shooting and the most of the armies been helped are "good" then this is a nice change. I strongly believe that some of the evil armies are unbalanced for this game. I am a fan of evil but if archery is gonna see light again, after the volley fire nerf, it is a healthy update for the game.